+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Jarvis Jones Thread

The Jarvis Jones Thread

I've been hearing a lot of negative stuff about Jarvis Jones lately. Word is that he may already be sliding down the draft board.

Without getting too wordy in this thread the two reasons he will fall are:

Injury - Spinal Stenosis which occurred while he was at USC during a routine tackle. I'm not sure what spinal stenosis is but it was severe enough for USC doctors to recommend he retire from football. He transferred to Georgia and the rest is history.

Character - Scouts claim he isn't a workout warrior. Actually, they say he is pretty far from it. This one has me wondering though; how do scouts know his work ethic and could this be nit picking? There is no denying what you get when you put him on the field though. And there was similar sentiment about Lawrence Taylor throughout his career (work ethic is the only comparison I'm making here).

Either way it's still hard to tell if he will fall far enough for the Giants to even think about getting him. He would definitely be a weapon on our defense filling a need at the LB level paired with his ability to pass rush on 3rd downs. I believe I heard either Mayock or Kiper say that 4 QB's will be taken in the first round this year despite most scouting websites hinting much less than that. If there are 4 in the top of the 1st, guys like this become more of a possibility at 19th overall.

Please discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

His condition means at any point a hit can essentially end his career. Possibly turn him into a vegetable.

How small of a chance that is is what the team doctors have to figure out. But from the sound of it, he traveled the US to find a doctor to clear him.

As for his work ethic, that probably comes from sources inside the school. Just like there was that sign at LSU outside the strength coaches door about what players skipped workouts

Seems to have huge bust potential.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    His condition means at any point a hit can essentially end his career. Possibly turn him into a vegetable.

How small of a chance that is is what the team doctors have to figure out. But from the sound of it, he traveled the US to find a doctor to clear him.

As for his work ethic, that probably comes from sources inside the school. Just like there was that sign at LSU outside the strength coaches door about what players skipped workouts
    wow.. that's some scary stuff..

I could see the Saints taking him. They are desperate to generate some sort of pass rush.

Im not sure how many know this but Marcus Mcneil of the Chargers had it and he was supposed to be a 1st rounder in 2006 and fell to the 2nd. He had a few pro bowl seasons but injured his spine in 2011 and is out of football now. U may get some productive seasons but than he could be done all of sudden. Im not sure if the Giants owners would draft a guy like Jones knowing he has a high potential for a horrible injury

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Im not sure how many know this but Marcus Mcneil of the Chargers had it and he was supposed to be a 1st rounder in 2006 and fell to the 2nd. He had a few pro bowl seasons but injured his spine in 2011 and is out of football now. U may get some productive seasons but than he could be done all of sudden. Im not sure if the Giants owners would draft a guy like Jones knowing he has a high potential for a horrible injury
    Wow, much thanks for the insight Jedi. There doesn't seem to be many instances of successful players who had pre-draft heath concerns. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jones falls much like Daquan Bowers did a couple years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

+ Reply to Thread