+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: in 1999

  1. #1

    in 1999

    did you think this team would return to glory next year? or after 04 and 05, the banged up team of promise in 06, to lead to 07, not gonna lie I thought 2010 they would win it all,didnt even make playoffs, to win it all at 9-7 next year, you cant make up the runs this team goes on at all unexpected times,if youre last name was Tolkien, I was too young back in 80's, I caught the 91 bowl, but my memories as a die-hard fan start from 93,sorry for not referring to other times. But man not a better team out there to root for. I cant wait for next season.

  2. #2
    Honestly, I never thought Fassel would ever even get a crack at winning a SB the following year. He never inspired any confidence in me. He looked like a pip-squeek nerd, or a yip dog. When he yelled at the refs, there was no fear. So I really doubt he could keep players in line. I even had the messageboard handle of Fassel-Must-Go, long before that was a popular sentiment here. A lot of folks disagreed with me on this at the time.

    The Parcell's era was different. The team was coming together years beforehand. It was a visible building process. You could tell the team was really coming into its own and it really took off in the playoffs in 86. Defense was playing lights out. Shutting out Washington in the playoffs was awesome. Pulled off some real magic, ala Eli, vs. the Vikings.

    The more recent SBs were more unpredictable. You hope for the best, but there was nothing to indicate that it was coming. Even during the season, we struggled too much. So no one gave us much of a chance vs. the almighty Patriots.
    Do not feed the trolls.

  3. #3
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Honestly, I never thought Fassel would ever even get a crack at winning a SB the following year. He never inspired any confidence in me. He looked like a pip-squeek nerd, or a yip dog. When he yelled at the refs, there was no fear. So I really doubt he could keep players in line. I even had the messageboard handle of Fassel-Must-Go, long before that was a popular sentiment here. A lot of folks disagreed with me on this at the time.

    The Parcell's era was different. The team was coming together years beforehand. It was a visible building process. You could tell the team was really coming into its own and it really took off in the playoffs in 86. Defense was playing lights out. Shutting out Washington in the playoffs was awesome. Pulled off some real magic, ala Eli, vs. the Vikings.

    The more recent SBs were more unpredictable. You hope for the best, but there was nothing to indicate that it was coming. Even during the season, we struggled too much. So no one gave us much of a chance vs. the almighty Patriots.
    I thought we were gunna be world beaters in 2003. Even in 2004 I thought we had a chance to be great. A lot of guys picked us to win it in each of those seasons.
    The reality is that in today's NFL, the difference between 12-4 and 4-12 is far less than it used to be.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    2001 was actually the most disappointing for me. I had very high expectations after making it to the SB that the following year we had made the moves we needed to in order to go all the way again, and this time win it. That team was very disappointing and I learned a valuable lesson from it. I keep my expecations grounded from then on, and that way I more likely to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

    I am always optomistic and hope for the best, but I don't expect the best. And I get more disappointed when this team doesn't play well, even in a victory.
    Do not feed the trolls.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I thought we were gunna be world beaters in 2003. Even in 2004 I thought we had a chance to be great. A lot of guys picked us to win it in each of those seasons.
    The reality is that in today's NFL, the difference between 12-4 and 4-12 is far less than it used to be.
    see 03 I remember after the playoff fiasco , people thought team wouone come out angry and go far, for me 06 into 07 that season when most of the defense fell apart due to injuries ,Tim Lewis etc was more disappointing in the 2000s thought this team was loaded and ready for a run, but hey wouldn't trade 07 for anything, 18-1 oh yeahhh

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    2001 was actually the most disappointing for me. I had very high expectations after making it to the SB that the following year we had made the moves we needed to in order to go all the way again, and this time win it. That team was very disappointing and I learned a valuable lesson from it. I keep my expecations grounded from then on, and that way I more likely to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

    I am always optomistic and hope for the best, but I don't expect the best. And I get more disappointed when this team doesn't play well, even in a victory.
    no matter the coaches , players the giant teams always have let downs over the years going in with expectations, man I talked so mcuh trash after Super Bowl in 2000, ahhh , but it never panned out, then shockey came and I thought he would reenergize this tem and theyll be unstoppable hahaha yeah, oh well.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxMan View Post
    no matter the coaches , players the giant teams always have let downs over the years going in with expectations, man I talked so mcuh trash after Super Bowl in 2000, ahhh , but it never panned out, then shockey came and I thought he would reenergize this tem and theyll be unstoppable hahaha yeah, oh well.
    Lol they wouldnt make another SB until AFTER shockey was out of the scene haha

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts