+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Junior Seau's Family Files Wrongful Death Suit Against NFL

Junior Seau's Family Files Wrongful Death Suit Against NFL

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2...iles_wron.html

Excerpt: "The family of Junior Seau has sued the NFL, claiming the former linebacker's suicide was the result of brain disease caused by violent hits he sustained while playing football.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed today in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its "acts or omissions" that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. It says Seau developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from those hits, and accuses the NFL of deliberately ignoring and concealing evidence of the risks associated with traumatic brain injuries.

Seau died at age 43 of a self-inflicted gunshot
    in May. He was diagnosed with CTE, based on posthumous tests, earlier this month.

An Associated Press review in November found that more than 3,800 players have sued the NFL over head injuries in at least 175 cases as the concussion issue has gained attention in recent years. More than 100 of the concussion lawsuits have been brought together before U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody in Philadelphia.

"Our attorneys will review it and respond to the claims appropriately through the court," the NFL said in a statement today.

Helmet manufacturer Riddell Inc., also is being sued by the Seaus, who say Riddell was "negligent in their design, testing, assembly, manufacture, marketing, and engineering of the helmets" used by NFL players. The suit says the helmets were unreasonably dangerous and unsafe.

Seau was one of the best linebackers during his 20 seasons in the NFL. He retired in 2009." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

As these suits continue to surface and eventually become a class action issue, the NFL is going to have to make changes to how the game is played.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Really they need a technological solution.

Helmets as they are now are designed primarily to a cranium from breaking. Not to prevent the brain from sloshing about inside.

Can they design a helmet that can minimize head impacts all together? I dont know how they could without giving guys massive helmets, but if they did that then neck injuries would greatly increase.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Really they need a technological solution.

Helmets as they are now are designed primarily to a cranium from breaking. Not to prevent the brain from sloshing about inside.

Can they design a helmet that can minimize head impacts all together? I dont know how they could without giving guys massive helmets, but if they did that then neck injuries would greatly increase.
    I don't think you can externally protect the brain from slamming into the skull in a collision type impact.

not sure if it will hamper lawsuit but I'm certain I read Seau was never once listed with a concussion his entire career

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I don't think you can externally protect the brain from slamming into the skull in a collision type impact.
    You have to slow the collision down before it reaches the skull. Like how cara are designed to crumple to absorb impact before it gets to the people inside

+ Reply to Thread