+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many sacks did our linebackers have the past 5 yrs????

Why in gods name does Reese not address that position he can't have a hard on for dline that bad we always get fill ins or try to convert someone giants defense was always known for linebacker play when I was growing up. Ap wasn't great but we have not replaced him yet let alone had anyone that even made a difference at that position . My question is why does he not see that??? Thoughts giants nation

Since when were sacks indicative of a linebacker's quality?

Or maybe tackles and tackles for less, still we haven't had a decent linebacker since Pierce started declining and eventually retired.

Chase was better than AP.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

No he wasn't.

While I will agree the Giants' linebackers have been mediocre at best, being that we run a 4-3 defense the linebackers are not in there for sacks. That is just a bonus. The true stats to look at for 4-3 backers would be to look at, as GT said, tackles and the opposing offenses' yards per carry and what the tight ends were able to do. Their job in a 4-3 is to contain and to fill in space between the line and the safeties or to take advantage of holes that the d-line opens up.

The defensive ends of a 4-3 are the equivalent of the 3-4 outside linebacker more or less.

And, while I think the linebacker situation will be somewhat addressed in the draft, I think we'll probably see a project drafted and be spending our top pick on a pass rushing defensive end. Our bread and butter was weak this last year and needs to be solidified.
    Last edited by Rat_bastich; 01-25-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: corrected early morning spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Rat_bastich View Post
    While I will agree the Giants' linebackers have been mediocre at best, being that we run a 4-3 defense the linebackers are not in there for sacks. That is just a bonus. The true stats to look at for 4-3 backers would be to look at, as GT said, tackles and the opposing offenses' yards per carry and what the tight ends were able to do. Their job in a 4-3 is to contain and to fill in space between the line and the safeties or to take advantage of holes that the d-line opens up.

The defensive ends of a 4-3 are the equivalent of the 3-4 outside linebacker more or less.

And, while I think the linebacker situation will be somewhat addressed in the draft, I think we'll probably see a project drafted and be spending our top pick on a pass rushing defensive end. Our bread and butter was weak this last year and needs to be solidified.
    This. If LT were in our system today he'd be a defensive end...

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Chase was better than AP.
    Take it easy with that. AP got slow towards the end, but he was a far better player than Chase will ever be. And he was a real good defensive QB.

All-Pro
    You mean the past 5 season where they won 2 Super Bowls?

Quote Originally Posted by giantsacks View Post
    Why in gods name does Reese not address that position he can't have a hard on for dline that bad we always get fill ins or try to convert someone giants defense was always known for linebacker play when I was growing up. Ap wasn't great but we have not replaced him yet let alone had anyone that even made a difference at that position . My question is why does he not see that??? Thoughts giants nation
    We play a 4-3 defense.