+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NY Giants Keep Or Dump: Chris Canty

All-Pro
    NO MORE RESTRUCTURING! If they cut him who do they have at DT? After Joseph who? And aging Bernard? An unproven 2nd round pick from a couple of years ago? A late round pick last year coming off an ACL tear?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    NO MORE RESTRUCTURING! If they cut him who do they have at DT? After Joseph who? And aging Bernard? An unproven 2nd round pick from a couple of years ago? A late round pick last year coming off an ACL tear?
    This is another reason why Marvin Austin has been such a disappointment.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    The proverbial rock and a hard place. I think he has a lot to give the Giants (if he stays healthy). But that is a big question. I have always liked him and thought he has done well for us. We can't afford to pay that much for a maybe player though. This whole team is a giant (no pun intended) question mark lately. There are young guys who we have no real idea how they will play. Then there are all the guys coming off injuries. Can they get back to where they were. The only guys we won't have questions about are our draft picks this year. They will likely never see a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    LOL Even though he was injured in 2012, he still played pretty well when he played.
    Yes he did.
    No one remembers who came in second.

I'm with RF on this one.

Canty is a pretty good player and the only DT I noticed making any impact plays this past year. Couple that with the reality that we just don't have anyone to take his place and it's a pretty easy decision to keep him on the team.

He is expensive but I think we'll just have to bite the bullet for now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    Yes, Confirmed. 6.5 mil extra in cap space for 2013 and 6.75 mil extra for 2014's cap if released.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/chris-canty/
    the more i think about it the more i just cant see him being kept under the current contract. dont get me wrong, i have been 1 of cantys biggest supporters here. i once got suspended for a misunderstanding bc i was trying to say rather crudely the way canty helps doesnt always show up on the stat sheet...and just overall i feel hes pivotal to the DL when its on track.

but we are paying him like top DT money virtually with the contract ew gave him. if we could get out of it, recoup a lot of cap space, id be all for it. we can replace hwat canty gave us w/o having to have the quality of player canty is...

How much of Diehl's contract is guaranteed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    the more i think about it the more i just cant see him being kept under the current contract. dont get me wrong, i have been 1 of cantys biggest supporters here. i once got suspended for a misunderstanding bc i was trying to say rather crudely the way canty helps doesnt always show up on the stat sheet...and just overall i feel hes pivotal to the DL when its on track.

but we are paying him like top DT money virtually with the contract ew gave him. if we could get out of it, recoup a lot of cap space, id be all for it. we can replace hwat canty gave us w/o having to have the quality of player canty is...
    I agree, it's a tough call.

Maybe there's a way to work something out....I don't expect Canty to just take a pay cut, but depending on how much of the remaining amount is guaranteed, maybe there's a way to work something out that gives him more guaranteed cash in exchange for a more cap-friendly number.

But like Buddy said, there's not a lot of depth there, especially with Austin being a no-show.

They definitely will need to restock this position.....one of the reasons why the linebackers got hammered was because the interior often let the opponent's lineman to 2nd blocks on the linebackers.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Canty is a typical way that we've overpaid for players who never performed to the level of their contract. But I look at him and I quickly know the answer why he never played to the height his lofty contract demands: he's a 3-4 DE playing DT on a 4-3 defense. He is just not stout enough in the trenches where its demanded. He is not an immovable object like a Wolfork. He's good but is paid like he's great. If JR and Co come up with a healthy solution he's gotta go, otherwise we're stuck with him.

That has to be a restructure....he's solid in the middle!

+ Reply to Thread