+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 168 REC, 2,628 yards, 15.6 YPC, 19 TD

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    me neither. i know plenty of intelligent people who can recognize cruz has a similar set of skills with rice...

edit-u even say so urself in ur post a couple posts ago
    Point I was making that Rice was more physical, do they have some similarities in their game? Of course, but Rice was better, and more physical, taller, could jump higher (in game I haven't seen Cruz jump too high, only one a few occasions), could leap down the middle catch it and run in stride.

When I look at Cruz I see an excellent slot receiver, the best in the game right now at what he does. He's had some great games for us, and has made some great plays for us, but until he can do it consistently I won't look at him as a top 5 conventional receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    theres a big difference with cruz and welker tho. Cruz is a legitimate downfield threat who can make contested jump ball catches...maybe welker can do those things too but for whatever reason is never used that way.
    Welker is pretty much purely a slot wr. cruz proved hes dangerous on the perimeter as well as slot...
    +1 id also like to add desean jackson is not a physical type, and hes not tall, but he gets paid good money because hes a home run hitter. Cruz is capable of hitting those big plays and he is capable of winning the jump balls too. I say pay the man. He has added a lot of swag to our offense and with him we are a lot more dangerous on offense.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I'm not saying Cruz isn't a top WR. He is. And he deserves good money. It's just that if I need to pay top tier money for him, I'd rather get someone else. Cruz's skill set imo is far more replaceable than say Calvin Johnson or even Hakeem Nicks.
    I dont think this is true. its a lot easier to find someone like nicks than to find a cruz. Quick, in 10 seconds name 3 slot receivers in the NFL besides cruz and welker.

Lol it would take you a lot longer to name 3 good slot receivers than to name 3 good receivers who line up on the outside. You probably dont know of any other good slot receivers. Honestly, there are a ton of guys now who can do what nicks does and win the jump balls. Randell showcased that ability later this season. And I can probably name you about 15 other guys in the league. Finding a home run hitter who can score from anywhere, and make people miss the way cruz does in the open field is harder to find in my opinion.

Calvin johnson is in a totally different league from both nicks or cruz. Hes a rare talent and there isnt another receiver like him in the NFL really.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 01-25-2013 at 12:16 AM.

~Big Mike~

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    I dont think this is true. its a lot easier to find someone like nicks than to find a cruz. Quick, in 10 seconds name 3 slot receivers in the NFL besides cruz and welker.

Lol it would take you a lot longer to name 3 good slot receivers than to name 3 good receivers who line up on the outside. You probably dont know of any other good slot receivers. Honestly, there are a ton of guys now who can do what nicks does and win the jump balls. Randell showcased that ability later this season. And I can probably name you about 15 other guys in the league. Finding a home run hitter who can score from anywhere, and make people miss the way cruz does in the open field is harder to find in my opinion.

Calvin johnson is in a totally different league from both nicks or cruz. Hes a rare talent and there isnt another receiver like him in the NFL really.
    Are you insinuating that slot receivers are more valuable than outside receivers?

Amendola is a very good slot receiver, I think Jennings can play the slot effectively, Nelson, Hixon, Harvin does very well in the slot. Hawkins from the Bengals is supposedly pretty good. Cruz does a better job than all of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGiantsFan View Post
    Point I was making that Rice was more physical, do they have some similarities in their game? Of course, but Rice was better, and more physical, taller, could jump higher (in game I haven't seen Cruz jump too high, only one a few occasions), could leap down the middle catch it and run in stride.

When I look at Cruz I see an excellent slot receiver, the best in the game right now at what he does. He's had some great games for us, and has made some great plays for us, but until he can do it consistently I won't look at him as a top 5 conventional receiver.
    fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Are you insinuating that slot receivers are more valuable than outside receivers?
    A penny from the 1800's is more of value than a newly printed dollar. But the dollar is worth more. ( in terms of currency)

an outside receiver is worth more than a slot receiver however, since outside receivers are a lot easier to find than slot receivers i value the slot guy more.

If someone puts up 1200 yards from the outside and another person puts up 1200 from the slot, let me keep the slot guy and we can find someone else to play the outside. rarely would you see a slot receiver being this productive. That's just the way I look at it. if you look around the league you can probably find 15+ outside receivers with 1000+ yards. However you wont find many slot guys with that.

I feel the same way when it comes to tight ends. If i had a choice between a young andre johnson, or a young Tony Gonzales, give me the tight end. we can always find another outside receiver. great tight ends are harder to come by.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 01-25-2013 at 01:07 AM.

~Big Mike~

an outside receiver is worth more than a slot receiver however, since outside receivers are a lot easier to find than slot receivers i value the slot guy more.
    What's that 'L'-word in your sig again?

I feel the same way when it comes to tight ends. If i had a choice between a young andre johnson, or a young Tony Gonzales, give me the tight end. we can always find another outside receiver. great tight ends are harder to come by.
    Define great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    What's that 'L'-word in your sig again?
    Again, I made the penny reference in order for you to be able to read between the lines a little better. I value the slot guy more because i feel its easier to find outside guys. Ill give you one more example. If i had to choose only 1 good receiver. An outside guy or a slot guy. Of course i would rather the outside guy because he is worth more to a team. However, since we can have more than 1 receiver i value the slot guy more because i believe we can find another good outside receiver before we would be able to find another great slot guy. If you understand the point i am trying to make, you would understand my logic. I am not saying that I am correct. I'm just letting you know how i look at things.

~Big Mike~

+ Reply to Thread