+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis for our 1st?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Smith still has two more years on his contract. Sanchez and Smith are virtually the same QB. He'd be an improvement, but not by much.
    I've been saying this for so long. I'm glad more people are realizing it.

People seem to forget how good or bad game manager QB's can look depending on the team around them. "WE WANT CARR", need I say more?

2010 Mark Sanchez essentially = 2012 Alex Smith while 2010 Alex Smith = 2012 Mark Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Fine with me let them trade 5 starters for1 player. Its going to cost 2 High draft picks plus the money he will get u could get 2 very good starters or 3 solid 1's from it.
    Yeah. Granted, I don't think the Jets will be able to get more than a 1 or a 2 and a 4 for him coming off the ACL (and that he only has 1 year left on his contract), but it still remains that he want franchise QB money.

He wants $60m guaranteed, probably on a 4 year deal. The bonus money alone averages to $15m a year, so after adding in base salary you're probably looking at $17m-$20m a year averaged out. The way I look at it is that only QBs impact the game enough to warrant that much money.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    Yes absolutely smart. Just not to the Giants. That would be PR suicide. Trade their best player to big brother? That would be like the Mets trading David Wright to the Yankees. The fans would go bananas.
    Again...I just don't get this.
    "PR" doesn't win football games. NFL teams have to rise above this stuff and do whats right for the team. If they think that trading Revis (due to his contract situation) is the right thing foe the team, then they should trade him if they can. Its MUCH better to trade him to a team that they play once every 4 years than within the conference or division.

Some of you guys care too much about this Jets/Giants thing. We share a stadium and that's about it. There is a business relationship as a product, but other than that we don't really have anything to do with each other football-wise.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post

People seem to forget how good or bad game manager QB's can look depending on the team around them. "WE WANT CARR", need I say more?

2010 Mark Sanchez essentially = 2012 Alex Smith while 2010 Alex Smith = 2012 Mark Sanchez.
    Smith is a little better. He's more mobile and over all is more judicious with the ball, but he isn't a whole lot better. I'd say they're in the same tier of QBs, Smith is at the top of that tier, Sanchez at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Smith still has two more years on his contract. Sanchez and Smith are virtually the same QB. He'd be an improvement, but not by much.
    True, but I can't see the Niners paying their backup $9 million. If they can't find a trade suitor, Smith will have to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post

Alex Smith is a MUCH better player than Mark Sanchez. He protects the ball very well, and is highly mobile. He's also shown that he can make big plays in huge moments, Ala the Saints playoff game last season.

Look, everyone puts down Revis and he continues to embarrass every wide receiver that comes his way! I would trade the WHOLE Giants secondary for Revis, and draft a bunch of rookies to fill in the rest of the secondary. Jets will never get it right....

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    True, but I can't see the Niners paying their backup $9 million. If they can't find a trade suitor, Smith will have to be released.
    It'll have to be soon, though. His 2013 salary is guaranteed April 1. They'll have to eat about $4-$5m in bonus money though.

Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    Look, everyone puts down Revis and he continues to embarrass every wide receiver that comes his way! I would trade the WHOLE Giants secondary for Revis, and draft a bunch of rookies to fill in the rest of the secondary. Jets will never get it right....
    ACL injuries effect corners much more than any other position. The strain on your knees when you are a press corner and pure cover guy like Revis is huge. He was certainly great before the injury and a true shut down corner, but its a huge risk to trade a lot of value for him.
    I would see your point if he didn't go down with that knee, but he did. And that changes everything.

You watch...if they trade him it will be for no more than a 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    Who is saying that Revis isn't a great player (other than wondering how he'll come back from injury, which is a valid concern)? What is at debate here is whether or not Revis is worth the money he will ask for? Do you think it's wise to spend $15m+ a year on one player that isn't a QB? How many areas of need on our team could we improve with the cap space Revis would swallow? You also have to add in the picks that you'd have to give up to get him.

Bottom line is that he's only one player, and seeing as he's not a QB he won't impact the game enough to warrant the money he's asking for.

+ Reply to Thread