+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Revis for our 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    It is kind of amazing that when Alex Smith plays in a high percentage short and middle passing offense, it is Jim Harbaugh that “disguised” his “weaknesses” but when RG III plays in a dink and dunk high percentage offense put together by Mike Shannahan, RG III is an awesome player.

I am not claiming that this has been your stance but so many people make one point without the other.

As of right now, Colin Kapernick has taken San Francisco 49ers one game further than Alex Smith did last year. Now, I like Colin Kapernick and he is doing an awesome job but I think they would still be going to SuperBowl if Alex Smith were their starter.

Alex Smith is a damn good QB.
    Alex Smith is hardly above average. There's a difference between hiding the deficiencies of an 8 year veteran by a short passing game and that of a rookie still learning the NFL. If they are still doing that in RG III's 7th year, then you'll hear talk about his skill as a passer and QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Alex Smith is hardly above average. There's a difference between hiding the deficiencies of an 8 year veteran by a short passing game and that of a rookie still learning the NFL. If they are still doing that in RG III's 7th year, then you'll hear talk about his skill as a passer and QB.
    You can argue as to whether or not Smith is average or above average. I think clearly he is at least somewhat above average. But regardless of that, there are probably 50 QB's in the NFL better than Sanchez, including Drew Stanton, who they traded away to make room for Tebow.
    In other words, the Jets would be substantially better with Alex Smith. The difference between the two is huge.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    You can argue as to whether or not Smith is average or above average. I think clearly he is at least somewhat above average. But regardless of that, there are probably 50 QB's in the NFL better than Sanchez, including Drew Stanton, who they traded away to make room for Tebow.
    In other words, the Jets would be substantially better with Alex Smith. The difference between the two is huge.
    I don't think the difference is as large as you think. Smith is better, but I don't think by much. You have to remember, Smith had a MUCH better offensive team around him than Sanchez. I don't think Smith on the Jets is terribly more successful than Sanchez. I think you'll see some bad habits creep back in Smith's game.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    It is kind of amazing that when Alex Smith plays in a high percentage short and middle passing offense, it is Jim Harbaugh that “disguised” his “weaknesses” but when RG III plays in a dink and dunk high percentage offense put together by Mike Shannahan, RG III is an awesome player.

I am not claiming that this has been your stance but so many people make one point without the other.

As of right now, Colin Kapernick has taken San Francisco 49ers one game further than Alex Smith did last year. Now, I like Colin Kapernick and he is doing an awesome job but I think they would still be going to SuperBowl if Alex Smith were their starter.

Alex Smith is a damn good QB.
    I'm not saying he's bad - he isn't, I'm saying that he didn't really turn a corner until the game was taken out of his hands, and given to the run game and defense. With less pressure on him, his careful playing style became more effective.

Smith can run an offense, but he can't carry one.

Banned
    Alex Smith is way above average. Average QBs don’t do what he did in that playoff game against New Orleans Saints.

7th year? I will be highly surprised if RG III is relevant after 3 seasons. Yes, he is a great runner but unlike Mike Vick, he doesn’t have a cannon for an arm, he has a noodle arm.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I'm not saying he's bad - he isn't, I'm saying that he didn't really turn a corner until the game was taken out of his hands, and given to the run game and defense. With less pressure on him, his careful playing style became more effective.

In all fairness to Alex Smith, the entire team was not doing very well before Jim Harbaugh took over.

He carried that offense and took over that game against New Orleans Saints in playoffs. The same New Orleans Saints that annhilated us earlier that year in regular season on MNF.

I rather Giants trade down to get more players.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post

You are underrating Smith tremendously.
    He's been a very accurate passer, calm under fire, he protects the ball and PROVED that he can make great individual plays in the clutch.
    Again....He's no Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but he's a good QB and his mobility would also be an asset to the Jets.

Sanchez on the other hand is just plain bad. He has regressed because he doesn't have the mental toughness that Smith has. Smith has been through a crapload of OC's, and HC's, and the kid still gets better.
    Get well soon 80.

Then we lose either a 1st or a couple other draft picks on a player that is only here for 1 year? No offense, but that's effin' stupid.

Also, you're waaaaaay off base thinking that Reese misses early. Out of the 13 players he's drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds only 3 you can haven't panned out, Ross (even though he played major roles in both SB titles, was still disappointing), Sintim, and Austin (the jury is still out, but the verdict isn't looking good).

2007) 1) Ross
    2) Steve Smith

2008) 1) KP
    2) TT

2009: 1) Nicks
    2a) Sintim
    2b) Beatty

2010: 1)JPP
    2) Joseph

2011: 1) Prince
    2) Austin.

2012: 1) Wilson
    2) Randle
    Here is my thought process
    A) Reese picks winners. If he doesn't have a first round, he'll find it in the second. Don't give up later round picks, but give up dead weight that we currently have in the secondary
    B) Let's not underestimate the power of a devastating corner (Deion, Mark Collins, Ronnie Lott, even Sehorn for few years).
    C) Giving up a first round isn't going to break the bank here. This isn't Isiah Thomas with the Knicks giving up years of picks.
    D) Remember the Jets put it out there. We aren't begging for a corner. We are in the position of power...why do you have us giving up later round picks, etc? If the Jets say no, we move on--plain and simple.
    E) The conversation is probably moot (though entertaining)...,Jets would never trade Revis (even an ACL Revis) to either the Pats or Giants. If we do well with him, the Press would be too bad for them, and we all know Press is the one thing that the Jets do put some effort into :-) .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    You are underrating Smith tremendously.
    He's been a very accurate passer, calm under fire, he protects the ball and PROVED that he can make great individual plays in the clutch.
    Again....He's no Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but he's a good QB and his mobility would also be an asset to the Jets.

Sanchez on the other hand is just plain bad. He has regressed because he doesn't have the mental toughness that Smith has. Smith has been through a crapload of OC's, and HC's, and the kid still gets better.
    That is the exact same thing that impresses me so much about Alex Smith. He has been through so many changes and he continues to improve and the guy is cool under pressure. He would be a great asset to NY Jets but I am not so sure that he would agree to play for that circus team.

+ Reply to Thread