+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 169
  1. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    You are underrating Smith tremendously.
    He's been a very accurate passer, calm under fire, he protects the ball and PROVED that he can make great individual plays in the clutch.
    Again....He's no Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but he's a good QB and his mobility would also be an asset to the Jets.

    Sanchez on the other hand is just plain bad. He has regressed because he doesn't have the mental toughness that Smith has. Smith has been through a crapload of OC's, and HC's, and the kid still gets better.
    Smith is fine, he's just... middling. If 14 touchdowns and 5 interceptions is what you want from a quarterback, then fine, take him. You just better make sure the rest of your team is sound because you'll be going nowhere if it isn't.


    Yes, I think we can all agree that Sanchez is comparable to chewing gum you find stuck to the underside of a bus stop bench.

  2. #152
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Smith is fine, he's just... middling. If 14 touchdowns and 5 interceptions is what you want from a quarterback, then fine, take him. You just better make sure the rest of your team is sound because you'll be going nowhere if it isn't.


    Yes, I think we can all agree that Sanchez is comparable to chewing gum you find stuck to the underside of a bus stop bench.
    In a little over 8 games. His numbers extend out to about 25 TD's and 9 Int's. (He actually had 13 TD's) And he had a 70% completion %.
    That's pretty damned good actually. Better than "you know who".
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #153
    Alex Smith is an accurate passer. He won't win you a game very often,but he will almost never lose a game for you. West Coast offense fits him perfectly. When he's in that offense, he is above average,when you want him to throw the ball downfield, he struggles. You've also got to account for the fact that this kid has been through multiple coordinators and was never really given a chance to settle down and get comfortable (minus the past year and a half, and we saw what he did with that). With that being said, people are calling him below average because of his early years when the coaching staffs were in constant flux and these preconceived notions make it hard for many to realize how impressive he has been under Harbaugh.

  4. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    In a little over 8 games. His numbers extend out to about 25 TD's and 9 Int's. (He actually had 13 TD's) And he had a 70% completion %.
    That's pretty damned good actually. Better than "you know who".
    Short, high percentage passes - Harbaugh catering to Smith's strengths. He took a back seat and was allowed to pick his spots. He must've averaged around, what 20 passes and 200 yards per game? Adequate, but not really ideal for most teams' configurations. Admittedly, he did hit paydirt with more regularity this season. Good for him.


    Wow, how'd this turn into an Alex Smith discussion?
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 01-25-2013 at 12:27 PM.

  5. #155
    All-Pro Roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Del Boca Vista
    Posts
    15,287
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    It is kind of amazing that when Alex Smith plays in a high percentage short and middle passing offense, it is Jim Harbaugh that “disguised” his “weaknesses” but when RG III plays in a dink and dunk high percentage offense put together by Mike Shannahan, RG III is an awesome player.

    I am not claiming that this has been your stance but so many people make one point without the other.

    As of right now, Colin Kapernick has taken San Francisco 49ers one game further than Alex Smith did last year. Now, I like Colin Kapernick and he is doing an awesome job but I think they would still be going to SuperBowl if Alex Smith were their starter.

    Alex Smith is a damn good QB. Comparing him to Mark Sanchez is ridiculous.
    I have to agree. I can't see anyone comparing Smith to Sanchez right now. Unlike Smith, Sanchez is a broken QB.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

  6. #156
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Short, high percentage passes - Harbaugh catering to Smith's strengths. He took a back seat and was allowed to pick his spots. He must've averaged around, what 20 passes and 200 yards per game? Adequate, but not really ideal for most teams' configurations. Admittedly, he did hit paydirt with more regularity this season. Good for him.


    Wow, how'd this turn into an Alex Smith discussion?
    Actually...no. He averaged a little over 26 attempt/game. And 208 yards/game. He averaged 1.5 TD's game and had a 70% comp. %. With a average to below average WR corps. Plus he ran for yards as well.
    He's actually a pretty good QB.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  7. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Actually...no. He averaged a little over 26 attempt/game. And 208 yards/game. He averaged 1.5 TD's game and had a 70% comp. %. With a average to below average WR corps. Plus he ran for yards as well.
    He's actually a pretty good QB.
    I can't tell whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. I guessed "around 20/200"; the actual numbers are 26/208. I say "middling," you say "1.5 TDs per game".

    What is the argument here?


    And why do you keep telling me he's a good QB? Please show me where I said he wasn't.

  8. #158
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I can't tell whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. I guessed "around 20/200"; the actual numbers are 26/208. I say "middling," you say "1.5 TDs per game".

    What is the argument here?


    And why do you keep telling me he's a good QB? Please show me where I said he wasn't.
    Well it was really njg85 who started with his claim that Sanchez and Smith are equal. You kind of picked up the argument that Smith was average. Your arguments are downplaying Smith as a QB.
    At least that's the way it seemed to me.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueReign View Post
    Alex Smith is an accurate passer. He won't win you a game very often,but he will almost never lose a game for you. West Coast offense fits him perfectly. When he's in that offense, he is above average,when you want him to throw the ball downfield, he struggles. You've also got to account for the fact that this kid has been through multiple coordinators and was never really given a chance to settle down and get comfortable (minus the past year and a half, and we saw what he did with that). With that being said, people are calling him below average because of his early years when the coaching staffs were in constant flux and these preconceived notions make it hard for many to realize how impressive he has been under Harbaugh.
    You bring up some really good points but the fact so many QBs have flourished under Harbaugh (Luck, Smith, and now Kaepernick) would lead one to believe that the guy is just really good in putting his QB in the best situations for his skillset. Luck was given more freedom with reads and making risky throws at Stanford which really says it all for me. Maybe he was messed up with all of these coordinators but a #1 overall draft pick is supposed to rise above such issues. He would be treated in a better light if he was a later round selection.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well it was really njg85 who started with his claim that Sanchez and Smith are equal. You kind of picked up the argument that Smith was average. Your arguments are downplaying Smith as a QB.
    At least that's the way it seemed to me.
    MS criticizing a poster that downplays a QB’s accomplishments? Never. lol........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts