+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Forget the injury, which is huge. This guy will want a new deal after next year, and it'll be astronomical.
    Exactly. Not only do you have to give up the pick, you're going to have to pay the man

Quote Originally Posted by Drystt View Post
    I would offer a 2nd and a 5th for Revis and maybe some incentives if he makes pro bowl or whatever. I'm sure he's talented enough to adjust to Fewell's scheme and dominate as well. This would make huge media news and make Giants a little bit more respectable if this were to happen.
    We should make a move because it might make "huge media news"? I think that you have mistaken this board for the Jets message board.

Give me Ed Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Honestly...a corner coming off an ACL is as big or (bigger) a risk than a mid first round pick.
    Plus he makes a ton. Plus he's been in the league for a while now. I'd rather have a young prospect taken with the 19th pick.

Also Revis doesn't really fit our scheme. He's a press corner guy who would have problems in a conference with RGIII, Kapernick, Wilson and the other mobile QB's.
    We are a zone defense now.
    I strongly disagree with your last point. A system is only as good as the players that are in it. In other words why not just stock up on good players? I would never say to myself "i don't want Von Miller on this team, he doesn't fit the system", or ware, or Patrick Willis, or James Harrison, etc. I don't care what system they are in. I think it would make more sense to say "That guy is a great player, we can find ways to fit him into our system and play him to his strengths". It's a coaches job to find ways to utilize the talent they have.

Also, Revis is good in zone as well. It just benefits the team more to play him in man to man coverage. Why waste a corner in zone if he can shut down The best receiver on the other team? If we play against qbs like Rg3 kapernick or Wilson, and we have great corners who excel in man to man coverage, we could blitz contain and play press. I doubt any of these Qbs would put on a show like did they this season against a defense like the jets were 3-4 years ago when rex first got there.

And last but not least why not just change the system then? If you have corners who are better at man to man then dont play so much zone. Blitz more. use a qb spy instead of zone. The only reason i wouldnt want revis for a first is because of the ACL injury.But when he is healthy he is the best defensive player in the NFL and probably the best corner to ever play the game.

I think we use the word "system" and try to complicate things too much. If you're a good corner then you are a good corner. If you're a great Quarterback then you are a great quarterback. Get the Great player first, worry about the "system" later.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 01-24-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    I think it would make more sense to say "That guy is a great player, we can find ways to fit him into our system and play him to his strengths". I think its a coaches job to use players to their strengths and find ways in order to fit them into their system.
    Too bad this is the Giants. Adapt or die.

is there any way to pull this off with out the inclusion of the first? can't we job the jets like everyone else? lol. steep price for a one year rental,,he would have to agree to contract extension if we got him and he will command big bucks. don't see it happening but he and prince with there 3 safety set would be formidable(assuming revis' knee is good to go)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    I strongly disagree with your last point. A system is only as good as the players that are in it. In other words why not just stock up on good players? I would never say to myself "i don't want Von Miller on this team, he doesn't fit the system", or ware, or Patrick Willis, or James Harrison, etc. I don't care what system they are in. I think it would make more sense to say "That guy is a great player, we can find ways to fit him into our system and play him to his strengths". It's a coaches job to find ways to utilize the talent they have.

Also, Revis is good in zone as well. It just benefits the team more to play him in man to man coverage. Why waste a corner in zone if he can shut down The best receiver on the other team? If we play against qbs like Rg3 kapernick or Wilson, and we have great corners who excel in man to man coverage, we could blitz contain and play press. I doubt any of these Qbs would put on a show like did they this season against a defense like the jets were 3-4 years ago when rex first got there.

And last but not least why not just change the system then? If you have corners who are better at man to man then dont play so much zone. Blitz more. use a qb spy instead of zone. The only reason i wouldnt want revis for a first is because of the ACL injury.But when he is healthy he is the best defensive player in the NFL and probably the best corner to ever play the game.

I think we use the word "system" and try to complicate things too much. If you're a good corner then you are a good corner. If you're a great Quarterback then you are a great quarterback. Get the Great player first, worry about the "system" later.
    Well said, theoretically you hit it on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Too bad this is the Giants. Adapt or die.
    Boom, reality!

If the jets offered Revis for a first, I would counter with a second for Cromartie. No? Hell, he can't be worse than Corey Toaster...

Besides their cap problems, they wont be able to tag revis after this season...should offer a 2nd and if plays a certain amount of games should give them a first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Note to Mods......

Did you notice how well I took being called a bad word?

Just saying...... Need some good will capital.
    VDC, that was very good of you. Everyone on the MB is proud.