+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis for our 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    except that Revis deserves the money.
    true, but NY doesnt have it..
    (1)Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburgh - (2)Jordan Matthews, WR Vanderbilt - (3)Jack Mewhort, OL Ohio State
    (4)Arthur Lynch, TE Georgia - (5)Bryan Stork, C Florida State - (5)Tyler Gaffney, RB Stanford
    (6)Prince Shembo, OLB Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    There is no way of knowing how he will come back from this injury. ACL injuries effect corners more than any position. There is also no way of knowing if he is still a "shutdown" corner and if he is...for how much longer.
    In other words, the jury is still out on whether or not he is still the player he was.
    PLUS, he only has one more year on his contract and has held out before. No reason to believe he wouldn't again.
    There is no way of knowing how our draft picks will turn out. There is no way of knowing how long they'll play either.

Reese does a good job with our 1st rounders so I would prefer to keep that pick. I would much rather try to give up a bunch of later picks because our coaching staff won't play those guys anyways. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind trading a first rounder if we're going to end up giving him the David Wilson treatment like we did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    No he doesn't. He wants franchise QB money. CBs are important, but not that important. The decline in production between Revis and a guy you can pay $6m-$8m doesn't justify the extra money.
    I'm not really sure exactly what he is asking for, and his asking price may be ridiculous. What I do know is that he will get a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by EliDaMANning View Post
    There is no way of knowing how our draft picks will turn out. There is no way of knowing how long they'll play either.

Reese does a good job with our 1st rounders so I would prefer to keep that pick. I would much rather try to give up a bunch of later picks because our coaching staff won't play those guys anyways. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind trading a first rounder if we're going to end up giving him the David Wilson treatment like we did last year.
    Trading a first round pick for a guy who's coming off an ACL is a bad move. Plus it flies directly in the face of what we're all about.
    This is the kind of deal the Skins (pre Shanahan) and the Cowboys make. Not us.

Its nice fodder to pass the day on the MB, but that's it.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

We can't have a bunch of corners running out there chasing WR's when RGIII is running past them.
    Our scheme (at least as it pertains to our zone coverage) is highly appropriate for the new and ever changing NFL.

And I never once called for PF to be fired. The guy's defense won a SB 12 months ago for God's sake.
    Giving up 12000 yards in two years says otherwise.

If we did trade him for a 1st rounder, could the Giants renegotiat his contract? Either way its not the type of move Giants would make.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Giving up 12000 yards in two years says otherwise.
    Speaking of a guy who want PF fired.......

Oh and BTW...the scheme you have been advocating is that of Spags. Interestingly enough his defense gave up the most yards in NFL history this season. The league is changing Dez. Press coverage is dangerous with these mobile QB's.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

NO.....he is damaged goods, and wants more $ every year. As far as I am concerned he doesn't have leverage for more $ when he is coming off an ACL injury year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    I strongly disagree with your last point. A system is only as good as the players that are in it. In other words why not just stock up on good players? I would never say to myself "i don't want Von Miller on this team, he doesn't fit the system", or ware, or Patrick Willis, or James Harrison, etc. I don't care what system they are in. I think it would make more sense to say "That guy is a great player, we can find ways to fit him into our system and play him to his strengths". It's a coaches job to find ways to utilize the talent they have.

Also, Revis is good in zone as well. It just benefits the team more to play him in man to man coverage. Why waste a corner in zone if he can shut down The best receiver on the other team? If we play against qbs like Rg3 kapernick or Wilson, and we have great corners who excel in man to man coverage, we could blitz contain and play press. I doubt any of these Qbs would put on a show like did they this season against a defense like the jets were 3-4 years ago when rex first got there.

And last but not least why not just change the system then? If you have corners who are better at man to man then dont play so much zone. Blitz more. use a qb spy instead of zone. The only reason i wouldnt want revis for a first is because of the ACL injury.But when he is healthy he is the best defensive player in the NFL and probably the best corner to ever play the game.

I think we use the word "system" and try to complicate things too much. If you're a good corner then you are a good corner. If you're a great Quarterback then you are a great quarterback. Get the Great player first, worry about the "system" later.
    Oddly enough, and a bit off topic, but that's how Reese describes his draft philosophy
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Speaking of a guy who want PF fired.......

Oh and BTW...the scheme you have been advocating is that of Spags. Interestingly enough his defense gave up the most yards in NFL history this season. The league is changing Dez. Press coverage is dangerous with these mobile QB's.
    Who does Spags have? Vilma? That defense has nooobody.
    I never suggested we replace Perry with Spags. Id like to do some things Spags does, like send more than 4 guys more than once a game if that. and have our corners closer to WRs instead of giving them 8 to 10 yards to work with almost every play.

So giving up 6000+ yards a season is the new normal now? Give me a break.

+ Reply to Thread