+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GIANTS Meet with BRIAN WINTERS OT/G Kent St. at Sr Bowl..

GIANTS Meet with BRIAN WINTERS OT/G Kent St. at Sr Bowl..

Dosen't always mean much, but its something, and it is about the GIANTS, so i'm posting it.. As all know, ive liked Brian Winters for quite some time, and been having em in and out of my mocks since October... Everytime i've seen kent St, which is more then most, because i gamble, hes stood out and gotten high praise from Announcers.. Hes a versatile player, and because of his weigh ins at Sr Bowl, probably will fit best inside, with ability to step out to RT in a pinch... So far, giants have met with Trent Steelman and Brian Winters at Shrine and Sr Bowl, at least as far as i know...

2013 Senior Bowl: Wednesday Prospect Meetings Report (North Team)

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Here is a recap of the player interviews that were conducted on the field after Wednesday's practice by the North team. Typically, these interviews with area scouts are to set up longer, formal interviews for a night during the week. While teams say they "talk" to every player, teams do not take the time to conduct formal interviews with every draft prospect, so this can be a clue as to which players are on their radar.

Chicago - Missouri Southern defensive tackle Brandon Williams

Denver - Fresno State safety Philip Thomas

New Orleans - Missouri Southern defensive tackle Brandon Williams

New York Giants - Kent State tackle Brian Winters

New York Jets - Purdue defensive tackle Kawann Short

Philadelphia - Oregon State wide receiver Markus Wheaton, Colorado tight end Nick Kasa, Illinois defensive end Michael Buchanan, Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin and Connecticut cornerback Dwayne Gratz

San Diego - UCLA defensive end Datone Jones and North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams

San Francisco - Fresno State safety Philip Thomas

St. Louis - North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams and Connecticut cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Washington - Fresno State safety Philip Thomas

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have conducted interviews with Cornell guard J.C. Tretter, Kent State tackle Brian Winters, San Jose State guard Dan Quessenberry and Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin.

Baltimore Ravens senior personnel assistant George Kokinis interviewed Syracuse tackle Justin Pugh and Connecticut cornerback Dwayne Gratz.

When is he projected to go in the draft?

Veteran
    Its a cat and mouse game. you want to evaluate talent and talk to guys but you don't want to tip your hand with who you are potentially interested or what positions your potentially favored for. at least thats my take on why the giants have only talked to two players.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

I've heard JR say they usually interview the guys they have questions on or need to look into, & they pretty much have a good idea about the other guys...

im praying Fisher from C.Michigan (OT) makes it to us at 19 (or we trade up a few spots if he gets near 19 or trade back if JR knows based on team need). I know that other guy is being touted as the "1 in a generation LT" and most likely will go 1 overall, but really, Fisher is right there imho. He has the perfect size, build/width, strength, footwork...he's gonna be a beast imo and starting day 1. If we take him, he could be an all pro RT for us for 10 yrs...I am super stoked on him. He just destroys DE's 1v1 in pass pro, and he is a nasty run blocker...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    im praying Fisher from C.Michigan (OT) makes it to us at 19 (or we trade up a few spots if he gets near 19 or trade back if JR knows based on team need). I know that other guy is being touted as the "1 in a generation LT" and most likely will go 1 overall, but really, Fisher is right there imho. He has the perfect size, build/width, strength, footwork...he's gonna be a beast imo and starting day 1. If we take him, he could be an all pro RT for us for 10 yrs...I am super stoked on him. He just destroys DE's 1v1 in pass pro, and he is a nasty run blocker...
    I'll be surprised if he gets past the top 10 at this point. The kid is taking advantage of a light T class at the top and looks way more prepared to start in the NFL on day 1 versus Nate Solder.

Edit: Don't be surprised if the Giants go the same path with the Oline they have done in recent years and that's find more OL gems in the later rounds. Brian Winters, Mark Jackson, J.C. Tretter, etc. are all selections I'd be happy with in day 3.
    Last edited by TheEnigma; 01-24-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I'll be surprised if he gets past the top 10 at this point. The kid is taking advantage of a light T class at the top and looks way more prepared to start in the NFL on day 1 versus Nate Solder.

Edit: Don't be surprised if the Giants go the same path with the Oline they have done in recent years and that's find more OL gems in the later rounds. Brian Winters, Mark Jackson, J.C. Tretter, etc. are all selections I'd be happy with in day 3.
    Yup, Winters and Tretter and Jackson are 3 i'm intersted in as well from anywhere in 4th-7th rd.. Add Earl Watford G James Madison and TJ Johnson C/G South Carolina to the list as well..

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    Its a cat and mouse game. you want to evaluate talent and talk to guys but you don't want to tip your hand with who you are potentially interested or what positions your potentially favored for. at least thats my take on why the giants have only talked to two players.
    Believe it or not, before last yr, the giants had met or worked out a ton of guys they ended up drafting.. Redeye and I have both explained this to people who were under the impression we dont usually draft guys we look at.. It really all depends on how the draft goes..

For instance, we could be very intrested in say Kawaan Short(just a example) and met with him at Sr Bowl and maybe even worked em out, but he goes to someone else and boom, it looks like we don't draft guys we work out.. We worked out or met with Travis Beckum , Clint Sintim, Hakeem Nicks, JPP, among many others..

But as far as guys like Winters go, u never know, because hes more of a 3rd-4th rd guy, and what if Chance Warmack ends up being are 1st rder? Now all of a sudden, Winters might be off our radar..

Its just getting to know a guy u have some interest in, and if the rd comes up and hes still available, and u haven't filled said positon yet, maybe u take em.. Even then, maybe a guy has dropped that u value more that u didn't think was gonna be there.. Its hard to line up all the cards in order for the guy u met with to be where u think his values at and still on the board and etc...

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    When is he projected to go in the draft?
    3rd-4th rd.. i've mocked em to us in RD3 or 4 a few times since October.. I really like em, and think hes one of the better values for a Olineman in the mid rds, if were to wait on Oline that long..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    3rd-4th rd.. i've mocked em to us in RD3 or 4 a few times since October.. I really like em, and think hes one of the better values for a Olineman in the mid rds, if were to wait on Oline that long..
    I'd say you are pretty spot on. Kiper has him as the 3rd best guard and I'm not seeing that.

He holds his own against MAC players but that isn't saying much. I'm really interested to see how he fares against faster guys in the SeniorBowl, but he'll probably be at LG rather than LT.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

+ Reply to Thread