+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Jerry Reese: Giants Will Interview Manti Teo At NFL Scouting Combine

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Te'o struggled too much against Alabama (the closest thing you will get to an NFL line) for my liking as our 1st round pick. Honestly, I'd rather have Ogletree, Greene, or Brown over him in terms of traditional, non-pass rushing LBs. He would be an excellent fit in a 3-4 scheme like the Steelers though.
    Thats one game and ND struggled as a team...Every great player, including HOF'ers had their bad games. That doesn't suggest they are not NFL ready and some of them weren't. What kind of leader are you? do you love the game/competing? there are several insights that make up the player other than stats and he seems to have a passion for the game and that will not only make you better but make others around feed off that passion and they too become better because they start to want it more by "osmosis"...Ray Lewis is a great example...not that I am saying T'eo is the next RL.

I would like Ogletree and maybe at 19 I could deal with that pick but I think we can get him 5 spots back or so in the first...maybe he falls into the second.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hungrrrry View Post
    Thats one game and ND struggled as a team...Every great player, including HOF'ers had their bad games. That doesn't suggest they are not NFL ready and some of them weren't. What kind of leader are you? do you love the game/competing? there are several insights that make up the player other than stats and he seems to have a passion for the game and that will not only make you better but make others around feed off that passion and they too become better because they start to want it more by "osmosis"...Ray Lewis is a great example...not that I am saying T'eo is the next RL.

I would like Ogletree and maybe at 19 I could deal with that pick but I think we can get him 5 spots back or so in the first...maybe he falls into the second.
    If it should turn out that Te'o orchestrated the girlfriend fiasco, don't be shocked if the Giants pass if he's still there at 19 First, we have biger issues on either line. Second, he's going to be carrying a lot of baggage in this media market. Every thing he does will be painfully scrutinized to death.

Can he handle that and does the team want to?
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. MB Rule # 1

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I think they prefer the front four approach now because of the more mobile QB's. But you have to have impact players which we were missing last season.

Jacquian Williams, if healthy, will help this season. As could Rivers if he can get healthy
    The mere sight and sounds of those words "...if healthy.." makes my ****ing skin crawl.

...I am so sick of hoping these guys stay healthy to the potential detriment of the entire group. We don't have the best trainers which is, perenially, why we usually have the longest list of injuries of any team in the NFL. Our LBs are in an annual state of languish by mid-October, leading up to our annual mid-season collapse. Combine that with a typical loss of S Kenny Phillips and Perry Fewell's catatonic panic reaction.

We need an slight overhaul with well-selected pieces just in this area to give the proper jolt this team needs.

But the fact it was against the best OL he had seen in his entire college career is what worries me about taking him with the 1st pick. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism at the next level. Will he be able to produce the sort of plays in the backfield against NFL level TEs when he has to consistently deal with athletes on his level or better? He could be Ray Lewis 2.0 or he could be Aaron Curry 2.0. If you are going to take someone with your 1st round pick, he shouldn't have questions about his athletic upside.

I suggest you watch the film of Ogletree vs. Alabama and see how much better he did vs Te'o. Huge plus in my book that he arguably had one of his best games in the most important game of his college career. If he has a huge combine like expected, don't be surprised if he is picked ahead of Te'o.

The mere sight and sounds of those words "...if healthy.." makes my ****ing skin crawl.

...I am so sick of hoping these guys stay healthy to the potential detriment of the entire group. We don't have the best trainers which is, perenially, why we usually have the longest list of injuries of any team in the NFL. Our LBs are in an annual state of languish by mid-October, leading up to our annual mid-season collapse. Combine that with a typical loss of S Kenny Phillips and Perry Fewell's catatonic panic reaction.

We need an slight overhaul with well-selected pieces just in this area to give the proper jolt this team needs.

We actually had an entire thread about who has the most injured players in 2012 and the Giants were closer to the bottom of the list than the top. It really has nothing to do with the trainers. Injuries happen to every team,
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    If it should turn out that Te'o orchestrated the girlfriend fiasco, don't be shocked if the Giants pass if he's still there at 19 First, we have biger issues on either line. Second, he's going to be carrying a lot of baggage in this media market. Every thing he does will be painfully scrutinized to death.

Can he handle that and does the team want to?
    I agree with this but all signs NOW suggest he had nothing to do with it other than being gullible. That is my only worry with him but maybe all of this lights a fire under him. If he did create some of this BS then I don't want him hear...Shockey was a headcase and I can't stand that personality type. I understand the baggage issue but if he can compartmentalize that and show what kind of player he can be (starting with the Combine) this can easily be put behind him. I see this also exploding like Tebow but the difference is, Tebow didn't have the ability at his position that T'eo has at LB.

I agree with this but all signs NOW suggest he had nothing to do with it other than being gullible. That is my only worry with him but maybe all of this lights a fire under him. If he did create some of this BS then I don't want him hear...Shockey was a headcase and I can't stand that personality type. I understand the baggage issue but if he can compartmentalize that and show what kind of player he can be (starting with the Combine) this can easily be put behind him. I see this also exploding like Tebow but the difference is, Tebow didn't have the ability at his position that T'eo has at LB.
    It will all come out at some point and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until then. But as is always the case, lying about some act or omission is always treated worse than the original act or omission.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    But the fact it was against the best OL he had seen in his entire college career is what worries me about taking him with the 1st pick. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism at the next level. Will he be able to produce the sort of plays in the backfield against NFL level TEs when he has to consistently deal with athletes on his level or better? He could be Ray Lewis 2.0 or he could be Aaron Curry 2.0. If you are going to take someone with your 1st round pick, he shouldn't have questions about his athletic upside.

I suggest you watch the film of Ogletree vs. Alabama and see how much better he did vs Te'o. Huge plus in my book that he arguably had one of his best games in the most important game of his college career. If he has a huge combine like expected, don't be surprised if he is picked ahead of Te'o.
    Noted...I'm not against taking Ogletree at all...I believe they both will have good careers in the NFL. My point is more the focus of our upgrades leaning more to our LB corp than any other unit.

+ Reply to Thread