+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Jerry Reese: Giants Will Interview Manti Teo At NFL Scouting Combine

I think we should address LBer at some point, but definitely not first round.

Maybe take a flier on McClain at the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It will all come out at some point and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until then. But as is always the case, lying about some act or omission is always treated worse than the original act or omission.
    I'm on board with that! As I mentioned with my reply to TheEnigma, we need a more focused improvement rapidly as opposed to ove several years...in respect to LB's

Quote Originally Posted by hungrrrry View Post
    Noted...I'm not against taking Ogletree at all...I believe they both will have good careers in the NFL. My point is more the focus of our upgrades leaning more to our LB corp than any other unit.
    Only to a certain point. If you got a player on your board that you grade equal with Ogletree who happens to be a pass rusher or cornerback...you take the more important position. Linebackers aren't useless but I'd say that it all starts with solidifying the front 4 and then your defensive backs outside the numbers.

if he bites that hard on an internet troll just imagine what a NFL playaction will do to him

I think this could be our opportunity for a top quality LB and T'eo and Ogletree appear to be in our reach at #19. Maybe even trade a few spots down to get Ogletree...I would select T'eo at 19.

I doubt T'eo has issues (other than being a bit of a Herb) and could be the anchor this team has needed since the '90's at MLB. DE can wait further into the 2nd round.

I think we need some key pieces in FA and the draft which are attainable, we just need to go for it instead of bringing in cheap help. We need quality Vets with experience. Our MLBs currently don't have the type of accumine you want to transition a 3rd round pick. We need an NFL ready MLB draft pick or proven quality/durable vet who can step right in. The other issue is our OLB's...who is impressed with them? Not me. If we can make 2013 a focus on high quality LB play we may not need so much on the D-line and secondary.

I like J. Williams but durability is becoming a potential problem with him...but he becomes great depth otherwise, or possibly OLB in an effort to get the most productive players on the field.

If we draft DE and or CB in the first we are going to struggle once again. Fewell asks our CBs way too much cushion in the read and react defense which allows an assault on our LBs with short and midrange success for our opponents. The Giants are only getting more pressure to deal with the read option and we have no talent to defend against it and a worse scheme.

I know we need OL help and a great safety against the run that has durability...but, maybe we can solidify our LB corp this season and then reevaluate...maybe the other needs won't be as significant if we stop piece-mealing a defense and focus on a group to repair each season to help the other groups. If we could get an NFL ready MLB in the 1st and a nearly or potentially NFL ready OLB in the 2nd, I'd do it in a second...so trading up with Tuck as potential trade bait...I am for it.
    i dont know if mlb is a higher priority than o-line, d-line or maybe even corner!

i do know they need help at those positions and i think JR will address that concern!

my personal preference is draft o-line then d-end and maybe linebacker later!

free agency may even produce a high impact backer who will meet our needs!

the bottom line is we need to shore up several positions and i hope we can meet those needs!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    But the fact it was against the best OL he had seen in his entire college career is what worries me about taking him with the 1st pick. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism at the next level. Will he be able to produce the sort of plays in the backfield against NFL level TEs when he has to consistently deal with athletes on his level or better? He could be Ray Lewis 2.0 or he could be Aaron Curry 2.0. If you are going to take someone with your 1st round pick, he shouldn't have questions about his athletic upside.

I suggest you watch the film of Ogletree vs. Alabama and see how much better he did vs Te'o. Huge plus in my book that he arguably had one of his best games in the most important game of his college career. If he has a huge combine like expected, don't be surprised if he is picked ahead of Te'o.
    u got a link of ogeltree vs bama? from the admittedly little ive seen from ogeltree, theres no way id want him at 19. i have serious doubts he can come in and be mlb for us day 1...he needs to get much bigger/wider imo otherwise he'll get handled by the OLs in the NFL. the stuff i have seen on ogeltree, when an OL gets their hands on him, hes done for the play so...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    u got a link of ogeltree vs bama? from the admittedly little ive seen from ogeltree, theres no way id want him at 19. i have serious doubts he can come in and be mlb for us day 1...he needs to get much bigger/wider imo otherwise he'll get handled by the OLs in the NFL. the stuff i have seen on ogeltree, when an OL gets their hands on him, hes done for the play so...
    He's not supposed to be a day 1 starter because of exactly what you said but there's no reason a 6'3/6'4 linebacker can't add more weight with only 235 on him at the moment. Don't forget that the great Ray Lewis entered the league on the light side too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Only to a certain point. If you got a player on your board that you grade equal with Ogletree who happens to be a pass rusher or cornerback...you take the more important position. Linebackers aren't useless but I'd say that it all starts with solidifying the front 4 and then your defensive backs outside the numbers.
    our struggles in those areas are largely due to the weakness we have at LB. We are losing Osi, who in my opinion is the better player of him and Tuck (Tuck lost his passion and has health concerns)...I would prefer to see Kiwi on the line and I wouldn't hate the way-outside chance we retain Osi and trade Tuck. Osi worries me less than Tuck these days and I think Tuck has become a cancer in the locker room, just a feeling I get.

A healthy Williams or Rivers will make a big difference at the LB position next year.

I'm not sold on Te'o at all. He had a solid career at ND but a lot of his stardom was due to the hype machine at ESPN and other outlets. They even compared him to Ray Lewis which I find odd. When I listen to Te'o I'm lulled to sleep. On the other hand, Ray Lewis can even inspire me and I'm rarely moved by words. On top of that, will Te'o's Mormonism, Samoan background, and reputation after the girlfriend scandal make it harder for other players to accept him as a leader? He may be more of an outcast than one of the boys at first.

None of the MLB prospects in this draft have really jumped out at me forcing me to think "we must draft this guy". We have holes all over the defense so it may just come down to whoever is the highest rated player on the board.

Ogletree was suspended in 2010 for misdemeaner theft. He supposedly also has durability issues.
    Last edited by dakotajoe; 01-20-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Osi worries me less than Tuck these days and I think Tuck has become a cancer in the locker room, just a feeling I get.
    I haven't seen Tuck give up on plays at least. He just doesn't have the ability that he used to for whatever reason, probably a lot due to injury. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be a captain if he was a cancer. We're not the NY Jets .

+ Reply to Thread