+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Spags will more likely be coaching for Brett Favre's high school team than coming back to the Giants.

His last 4 years have been among the worst in NFL history for a coach. Even though we won a SB when under him his reputation has eroded to the point where he is now considered one of the worst coaches in the league. I thank him for being part of the 07 SB but the NFL has changed in the past 5 years.

I don't get why people blame the players for Spag's failures on the Rams and New Orleans but on the Giants it's always Fewell's fault and never the players. Fewell's 2012 defense composed of mainly a bunch of old slow guys and talented younger players who are injury prone or were banged up. The feared MLB on the Giant's is an 8th grade mathematics teacher who didn't have a job in the NFL until the Giant's called him up and pulled him off the street. With all due respect Chase . Even with the lack of talent the Giants forced the 3rd most turnovers in the league and had the 4th best turnover ratio.
    Last edited by dakotajoe; 01-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotajoe View Post
    Spags will more likely be coaching for Brett Favre's high school team than coming back to the Giants.

His last 4 years have been among the worst in NFL history for a coach. Even though we won a SB when under him his reputation has eroded to the point where he is now considered one of the worst coaches in the league. I thank him for being part of the 07 SB but the NFL has changed in the past 5 years.

I don't get why people blame the players for Spag's failures on the Rams and New Orleans but on the Giants it's always Fewell's fault and never the players. Fewell's 2012 defense composed of mainly a bunch of old slow guys and talented younger players who are injury prone or were banged up. The feared MLB on the Giant's is an 8th grade mathematics teacher who didn't have a job in the NFL until the Giant's called him up and pulled him off the street. With all due respect Chase . Even with the lack of talent the Giants forced the 3rd most turnovers in the league and had the 4th best turnover ratio.
    Not to mention his numerous Super Bowl wins with the Eagles...OH WAIT
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    What's the difference between a good co-ordinator and a bad co-ordinator if it all comes down to player execution?
    Well, that would work in the fans evaluation of a good/bad coordinator but not for a great HC or GM or even astute fan.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran
    That's okay.

Spagnolo new Giants linebackers coach. - No brainer.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) The New Orleans Saints have fired defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo after one season - a record-setting year in the wrong way.

New Orleans ranked last in the NFL in total defense and run defense, yielding the most yards (7,042) ever in a single season. The Saints went 7-9 this season and allowed 454 points; only Tennessee gave up more.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2J20HRPY6

Quote Originally Posted by par404 View Post
    That's okay.

Spagnolo new Giants linebackers coach. - No brainer.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) The New Orleans Saints have fired defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo after one season - a record-setting year in the wrong way.

New Orleans ranked last in the NFL in total defense and run defense, yielding the most yards (7,042) ever in a single season. The Saints went 7-9 this season and allowed 454 points; only Tennessee gave up more.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2J20HRPY6
    Not likely. You would create coaching and some player issues if you brought Spags on in any capacity. Fewell is the coordinator for 2013. He doesn't need a ghost on the team.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I am grasping the only thing that matters, the record. Two teams with abysmal records.

We are talking about a former DC who helped us win a Super Bowl. We have a DC who helped us win a Super Bowl. And for those who simply say "bring him in anywhere on the defense" I would simply point to the Sanchez - Tebow circus across town. There is no room for Spags here this season.

For the record, he's not my Fewell. He's Reese's and Coughin's Fewell and that's good enough for me.
    what an awesome post.

Sean Payton and the Saints organization are not a group of crazy Dan Snyder type football nut-jobs. Its a decent organization.

guys saying he was stuck in a tough situation are missing the fact that the FO at least but more likely the FO AND Payton had a say in firing him, and clearly the 'stuck in a tough situation' wasn't cutting it for them.

we have plenty of evidence now. two years of great defense with the giants, and nothing but excuses since.

Wade Phillips wasn't a good head coach, but he's still a good DC whereever he goes.

Spags was a good DC for two years, and its looking like he (or we) caught lightening in a bottle those two years, because we haven't re-created that kinda defense since then, and neither has he.

Veteran

SPAGS

I've been out of touch for a while. Has there been any support on the boards for bringing Spags back to replace Fewell? If not let this be the first message in support of that idea.

It's been discussed. Some do, and some don't

# 80

Veteran
    what do you think RF?

Veteran
    here's my opinion. Spagnolo thinks fast and is confident. That's critical in game time adjustments. Fewell thinks slow and is unsure of what's happening - that's why our D is unorganized time after time when the snap is coming. How many times this year was Blackburn moving guys around at the point when the ball was snapped. Our D was caught unprepared at snap time way too many times this year (and last year too for that matter).