+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 313

Thread: Bring Spags back!!!!!

  1. #221
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjmarino View Post
    Good Job my friend!
    For some reason the moderator just doesn't want to give in.
    Must be related to Fewell or something...
    definetley

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Actually, I'd say Belichick or Landry were the best DCs we've ever had. Fox is coming in close there, too.

    What Spags did with our defense 5-6 years ago is rather inconsequential at this point in time. Our defense wasn't even that great for most of '07. We fielded a decent pass rush, but they didn't tighten the screws until the playoffs. In '08 he led a dominant defensive unit. That's it. In his 6 years as DC or HC, he can lay claim to having one great playoff run and one great season. That's it. I'm not saying that he's crap and won't ever have success again, but at this point he's had several opportunities to do so and hasn't. At least BB after leaving Cleveland went on to have immediate success again as a DC. He also didn't do nearly as horrible a job in Cleveland as his record suggests.

    If we're looking to bring back DCs that have had some modicum of success in the past, why not bring back Tim Lewis, he's led several top 10 and top 5 defenses?
    Your argument holds no water.
    What you're saying is that Spags performance was on the rise.
    I think I would take that.
    Wouldn't you?

  3. #223
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,347
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjmarino View Post
    Good Job my friend!
    For some reason the moderator just doesn't want to give in.
    Must be related to Fewell or something...
    RFs status as moderator has nothing to do with his feelings of bringing Spags back.

    Also, just because he's not enamored with bring back Spags doesn't mean that he has any particular love for Fewell. It just means he sees no particular benefit bringing in Spags, particularly in a situation where he would be Fewell's subordinate, as that may cause some discordance in the locker room.

  4. #224
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,347
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjmarino View Post
    Your argument holds no water.
    What you're saying is that Spags performance was on the rise.
    I think I would take that.
    Wouldn't you?
    How does my argument hold no water? Spags performance was excellent in late 2007 and 2008. Since then it has been on a steady decline, culminating in leading the worst defense (yardage) in the history of the NFL. Time didn't stop in '08. His career has been on a definitive down slope the past 4 years.There are any number of coaches that caught lightening in a bottle and had a stellar season or two, yet have proven over the long haul to not have been superior coaches.

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    How does my argument hold no water? Spags performance was excellent in late 2007 and 2008. Since then it has been on a steady decline, culminating in leading the worst defense (yardage) in the history of the NFL. Time didn't stop in '08. His career has been on a definitive down slope the past 4 years.There are any number of coaches that caught lightening in a bottle and had a stellar season or two, yet have proven over the long haul to not have been superior coaches.
    You obviously are picking and choosing your research.
    Have you not read the posts?
    When I said his performance was on the rise I was speaking as DC of the G-Men.
    Can't judge him with the crap he had to work with since.

  6. #226
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,116
    Spags' defense was the best defense since Belicheat. Better than Fox, Lewis, Fewell - whoever - -just go look up the stats. Look at the way guys played for him. That's what counts. This defense is confused and players are under utilized. How many under achievers do we have for c sake? When Spagnuolo was here we had OVER achievers. Now we have under achievers.

  7. #227
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    18,949
    I'd take him in a heartbeat over PF but don't think it will happen.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  8. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by pathas View Post
    Spags' defense was the best defense since Belicheat. Better than Fox, Lewis, Fewell - whoever - -just go look up the stats. Look at the way guys played for him. That's what counts. This defense is confused and players are under utilized. How many under achievers do we have for c sake? When Spagnuolo was here we had OVER achievers. Now we have under achievers.
    My brother, you are talking to the wall.
    These guys don't understand.

  9. #229
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I'd take him in a heartbeat over PF but don't think it will happen.
    voice of reason - FINALLY - I was beginning to think me and marino were the only sane people on this board

  10. #230
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,347
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjmarino View Post
    You obviously are picking and choosing your research.
    Have you not read the posts?
    When I said his performance was on the rise I was speaking as DC of the G-Men.
    Can't judge him with the crap he had to work with since.
    I'm sorry, but that is a really stupid statement. Why can't you look at what he's done since? If that were the case, Tim Lewis led us to a top 10 defense before. It doesn't matter what he's done since. He had that one good year.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts