+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Release vs Trade in terms of Cap hit

What is the value of doing one over the other when it comes to some of our higher paid guys that are under performing and/or declining? If a player is not even decent enough to keep as depth......should we still keep them around so as not to get bit by the salary cap?

As far as I'm aware there's no cap hit when trading a player, the team that trades for the player just takes on the contract. However, there are some clauses where the original team must pay all or part of the bonus money... It's really contract dependent.

If we keep them, we're on the hook for their base salary and any guaranteed/bonus money.

If we release them, then we're on the hook only for the guaranteed money and are relieved of their base salaries.

Trouble with trading a guy is finding a team that is willing to take on a high contract for a declining player and getting adequate compensation in return.

Heck at this point I would take a 4th or 5th rounder for Diehl........guy is train wreck. Tuck is at least serviceable for depth if he doesn't start. Webby I would trade for maybe a 3-4 round pick..........he could probably do better he went to a team that did press coverage.....

Diehl isn't worth a 4th or 5th... you'd be lucky to get anything for him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I would trade him for a used Vick Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    I would trade him for a used Vick Jersey
    As long as the person who has the Vick jersey is willing to pay his salary ahah

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Ok....a 6th or a 7th then maybe

"I test how other people deal with reality"
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    As far as I'm aware there's no cap hit when trading a player, the team that trades for the player just takes on the contract. However, there are some clauses where the original team must pay all or part of the bonus money... It's really contract dependent.

If we keep them, we're on the hook for their base salary and any guaranteed/bonus money.

If we release them, then we're on the hook only for the guaranteed money and are relieved of their base salaries.

Trouble with trading a guy is finding a team that is willing to take on a high contract for a declining player and getting adequate compensation in return.
    there still is a cap penalty for trading a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    there still is a cap penalty for trading a player.
    its not a penalty, its a cap hit, and drez explained how a trade effects the cap

Trading and cutting is largely the same thing when it comes to the cap.

Both accelerate the signing bonus so it hits in the current season.

Thats why teams dont often trade guys who had big signing bonuses

Only real difference cut vs. trade is that when a player is traded the new team picks up their base salary. But that does not aid the team who traded them at all in terms of cap money, only real money.