+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mara Won't Rule Out Osi Umenyiora's Return To Giants

the Giants D needs to improve all the way around. If they have another year 2012 it wont matter if Osi is on the team or not.
    Osi is not the make or break for this defense. The defense can be crappy with or without and if thy improve then can be very good with or without him
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    Osi could surprise everyone an take a very organization friendly discounted long term contract. He has said before he wants to retire here but its a business and it takes two to come to terms. If reese is low balling then of course he walks but If it reasonable I think he would be inclined to stay.
    Im still trying to find the article where osi stated "He is looking for Top 5 DE money."
    I'm not sure Osi ever said that, much like Cruz has never said $8 - 10M. Here's an old article where the author suggests his agent was looking for top DE money
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    the Giants D needs to improve all the way around. If they have another year 2012 it wont matter if Osi is on the team or not.
    Osi is not the make or break for this defense. The defense can be crappy with or without and if thy improve then can be very good with or without him
    His best contribution in 2013 might be financial if they release him and fill his shoes for less $
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comer on John....no need to be that PC......
    Thats now 6 and 2 season ago........time to move on.....thanks Osi....good luck
    What purpose would it serve to say anything different than what he said?

These types of things are what make the Giants a class organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    What purpose would it serve to say anything different than what he said?

These types of things are what make the Giants a class organization.
    The important part of Mara's comment was there are "financial considerations." Osi isn't going to get another $41 M contract

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I'm not sure Osi ever said that, much like Cruz has never said $8 - 10M. Here's an old article where the author suggests his agent was looking for top DE money

Thanks RF. I don't think the article linked, but like you said Osi has never made any monetary demands... yet. Most people are just still fuming off the words written in the affidavit and take the dialogue described in that document as Osi talking to himself.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Veteran
    +1
    If they let him go fine, I just hope they have his replacement in the wing or the draft prospect they have in mind is there and becomes that type of player. the grass is not always greener.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

The important part of Mara's comment was there are "financial considerations." Osi isn't going to get another $41 M contract
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    Osi has always been bad against the run, even in 2007, but it was masked with the DT play pushing the OB back racking up the totals for Osi, Plus they were doubling Strahan so he got one v ones. Now everyone wants to point it out? he was bad against the run in 2010 as well but that was masked with the FF's. can't please everyone man, he was relegated to situational pass rusher and the rest of the Line didn't help at all. He is a speed rusher, he is not going to be good against the run if his assignment is to get to the QB rather than contain the edge.

He is known for being soft against the run, and even mccoy pointed it out. However this year he was completely blowing his assignment to contain the outside. He would get fooled on the play action and give up huge plays to the outside. He didnt get pressure. And I pretty much look at him as a starter. Im not going to compare him to tuck because in my opinion tuck was the worst starting player on our defense last year. Thats basically your assignment go after the QB and contain your gap. As a DE the coach doesnt tell you go get after the QB. Dont worry about containing the edge.

Osi did not start, this is apart of my argument, he was not starting all season, rotaitonal and still did better than tuck and as far as what Osi's job is he got to the QB almost as much as JPP.
    Jpp didnt have a good season either but he played the run way better.

Again Go back to 2009-2010 what changed in the defense besides Fewell becoming the new DC? the scheme, almost 95% of the same personnel and they were a way better defense altogether than the 2009 unit.
    didnt we lead the league in sacks or turnovers during PF"s first year? (or close to it) and didnt we have a rep for knocking qb's out of games? Remember that night when we had 9 sacks on Cutler in the first half and knocked him out? Didnt we take romo out for the year? The defense was balling. We were a like a top 7 defense that year. We didnt make the playoffs because of the turnovers on offense. Eli had 31 by himself that year.. But Our defense was very good during PF's first year.

Don't know about that DE is easy comment either I watched my friends prepare for it at the high school and college level nothing easy about it, nothing straight forward about it, responsibility wise or ability wise. I can only imagine the stress at the pro level.
    DE is the most straight forward position In football because it doesnt require much thinking. You put your hands in the ground and run at the QB. I played TE and DE in my first year of high school. we didnt have much players on our Junior Varsity team so a lot us had to play both sides of the ball often. We ran the ball a lot on offense so when i was in at TE i mostly blocked. My junior year i was moved to safety and played 1 season there before i quit the team. From my experience I would definitely say playing DE and (possibly DT) may take the most endurance. But responsibility wise its literally "Straight forward" Even JPP said something similar.

I dont remember his exact words but i remember him saying something like "He loves playing on the D line because he loves to get at the QB and you dont have to think much. He also said he would rather play DE than DT. I dont have a link to it but ill try to google and see if i can find it. Again i dont know the exact words but i do remember him saying something like that maybe last season or the season before.
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 01-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...turn-to-giants

Excerpt: "Has Osi Umenyiora played his final game as a member of the New York Giants? Team co-owner John Mara isn't willing to say so. At least publicly.

"I don't know about that," Mara said, according to ESPNNewYork.com. "We'll see what happens. I would love to have him back. He's been a great player for us. He's a great guy. He's been a huge part of our two Super Bowl wins, but there are economic considerations and we'll just have to see what happens."

After the Giants' season ended, Umenyiora told a New York radio station he believed it was "time to move on."
    "I've earned the right to be a free agent," Umenyiora said. "It's been 10 years. I signed a seven-year deal, and they made me play out all seven of those years. If they wanted me back, I think something would have been done before now." Read more...
    Yes.....but I do.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread