+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Senior Bowl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Always beware of guys who climb in mocks when no football is being played . . . .
    The only thing with that is In my personal rankings for instance I have watched more games of some guys than others so when I catch up over the off season my rankings will change. Its physically impossibe for me to watch all the games during the season. I watch most of the games in fact when the season is over. Same thing with the guys doing the mock drafts. Also postseason performances shed light on some guys that werent focused on as much during the season. People than go back and look at more of the games. Jacquian Williams for instance. I knew the name but it wasnt till after the Giants drafted him I went back and looked at him more closely and was upset I missed him. There are so many teams and so many games its easy for guys to slip through the cracks. I wont miss players from the SEC or Top 25 programs because they are on TV all the team I watch them consistently during the season. Its easy to miss guys from the smaller conferences or even the Big East if u only watch them 2 or 3 times during the season. Also the grades between guys in the draft 25-45 arent all that different a guy moving around from that range or even 3rd to 2nd round isnt that much of a move really.
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 01-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    You mean like JPP?
    Do you disagree with my premise that you should be wary of such off-season risers?

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    The only thing with that is In my personal rankings for instance I have watched more games of some guys than others so when I catch up over the off season my rankings will change. Its physically impossibe for me to watch all the games during the season. I watch most of the games in fact when the season is over. Same thing with the guys doing the mock drafts. Also postseason performances shed light on some guys that werent focused on as much during the season. People than go back and look at more of the games. Jacquian Williams for instance. I knew the name but it wasnt till after the Giants drafted him I went back and looked at him more closely and was upset I missed him. There are so many teams and so many games its easy for guys to slip through the cracks. I wont miss players from the SEC or Top 25 programs because they are on TV all the team I watch them consistently during the season. Its easy to miss guys from the smaller conferences or even the Big East if u only watch them 2 or 3 times during the season. Also the grades between guys in the draft 25-45 arent all that different a guy moving around from that range or even 3rd to 2nd round isnt that much of a move really.
    This makes sense. Something I hadn't thought of.

Always beware of guys who climb in mocks when no football is being played . . . .
    It's not that cut and dry really though. Some guys climb due to other kids going back to college (Lewan and Matthews) so that's why you see Fisher and Johnson surging ahead in the mocks and then you have some kids who see a fall because their arms are too short or they look too slow for the outside. Even if they are just 1-on-1 drills, you get a more deep insight into these linemen going up against other NFL caliber players. Eric Fisher was a little shady to some before the Senior Bowl since he came from a small football program but he solidified his status as a top 10 selection in those drills.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    It's not that cut and dry really though. Some guys climb due to other kids going back to college (Lewan and Matthews) so that's why you see Fisher and Johnson surging ahead in the mocks and then you have some kids who see a fall because their arms are too short or they look too slow for the outside. Even if they are just 1-on-1 drills, you get a more deep insight into these linemen going up against other NFL caliber players. Eric Fisher was a little shady to some before the Senior Bowl since he came from a small football program but he solidified his status as a top 10 selection in those drills.
    Not really saying that it is cut and dry. Just saying to be wary. There certainly could be legitimate explanations for an offseason rise, like you have pointed out.

Not really saying that it is cut and dry. Just saying to be wary. There certainly could be legitimate explanations for an offseason rise, like you have pointed out.
    Most of these "offseason risers" aren't actually offseason risers. Teams valued them high throughout and the media is catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Most of these "offseason risers" aren't actually offseason risers. Teams valued them high throughout and the media is catching up.
    These postseason events give media easier access to scouts as well

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Goes both ways to I think there are a few overrated guys that these mocks will say are falling but they arent the player they are being projected. Damontre Moore isnt a Top 5 pick. All last year I said he was an underrated player now he is way overrated truth is he shouldnt go before pick 15 maybe later

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Goes both ways to I think there are a few overrated guys that these mocks will say are falling but they arent the player they are being projected. Damontre Moore isnt a Top 5 pick. All last year I said he was an underrated player now he is way overrated truth is he shouldnt go before pick 15 maybe later
    Lol I completely agree. Btw kipper had Moore going like second overall to the jags. He is way overrated.

Do you disagree with my premise that you should be wary of such off-season risers?
    I try not to apply generalized statements to individual situations. Because if you do, someone throws a perfect counter point example in your face. Much like I did with JPP.

Sometimes offseason risers rise for good reason. Multiple recent example come to mind:

JPP, Doug Martin, Christian Ponder, JJ Watt and many more.....

You have to look at every player individually rather than rule out someone because of some vague rule of thumb.

+ Reply to Thread