+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Senior Bowl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    It's not that cut and dry really though. Some guys climb due to other kids going back to college (Lewan and Matthews) so that's why you see Fisher and Johnson surging ahead in the mocks and then you have some kids who see a fall because their arms are too short or they look too slow for the outside. Even if they are just 1-on-1 drills, you get a more deep insight into these linemen going up against other NFL caliber players. Eric Fisher was a little shady to some before the Senior Bowl since he came from a small football program but he solidified his status as a top 10 selection in those drills.
    Really, none of it matters with underclassmen invloved.. Becasue so many of those underclassmen are either 1st rd picks or at least better then where there ranked now, assuming they raised there stocks had they gone back to school, so so many times ur getting guys that would be 1st rd picks and possibly top 10picks(look at Joeckl's rise this yr) a yr early is all.. Look at Barkley, he'd of been a top 5pick last yr, and goes back to school, and now hes possibly not even a 1st rder.. So if he did go last yr and was taken 5th or 6th overall or something like that, that team would of taken a guy who if only a yr later would of been possibly not even a 1st rder..

My point is, its so hard to tell whos the better prospects and why alot of teams simply go with "there" guy, regardless of ranking..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I try not to apply generalized statements to individual situations. Because if you do, someone throws a perfect counter point example in your face. Much like I did with JPP.

Sometimes offseason risers rise for good reason. Multiple recent example come to mind:

JPP, Doug Martin, Christian Ponder, JJ Watt and many more.....

You have to look at every player individually rather than rule out someone because of some vague rule of thumb.
    Guess you don't get my point.

I never said that someone should be automatically ruled out because they rose on draft boards during the offseason. What I said was teams should "beware" of such off-season risers, meaning that they should closely scrutinize the reason for the late rise up the boards. If that scrutiny results in finding a legitimate reason for the rise, then there is no reason not to draft the player.

Some guys rise up the boards because they perform well in shorts in combine drills, even though their play on the field did not match their drill performance (Bruce Campbell of Maryland comes to mind). Teams need to make sure that this type of situation isn't the case with off-season risers.

So your JPP point is actually not a counter to my point at all.
    Last edited by TCHOF; 01-31-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post

I never said that someone should be automatically ruled out because they rose on draft boards during the offseason. What I said was teams should "beware" of such off-season risers, meaning that they should closely scrutinize the reason for the late rise up the boards. If that scrutiny results in finding a legitimate reason for the rise, then there is no reason not to draft the player.

Some guys rise up the boards because they perform well in shorts in combine drills, even though their play on the field did not match their drill performance (Bruce Campbell of Maryland comes to mind). Teams need to make sure that this type of situation isn't the case with off-season risers.

JPP is actually a very good counter because he was exactly what you described, a guy who stock soared AFTER the season was over. Many of the other guys I mentioned fit this mold as well. Several more come to mind.

You like to make generalized statements and apply then to specific situations, go ahead. I prefer to look at each kid for what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post

Bruce Cambell only rose with the media. Media and NFL Scouts are different things. Cambell didnt get drafted where the media said he went 4th round

+ Reply to Thread