+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Webster

Quote Originally Posted by mercurio View Post
    Webster is our #1 cb and as such plays against the opposing teams #1 receiver. Even Revis get burned against top receivers. A decent pass rush is needed to stop receivers getting too much time to run routes.
    I hope you're not comparing Webster's shortcomings to Revis'

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    I hope you're not comparing Webster's shortcomings to Revis'
    I'm comparing #1 CBs. The other CBs may look good because the receivers they are covering are not as good or are not the QBs go to receiver. Most teams are not as deep in receiver talent as the Giants.

Bench Player
    Webster is on the downside of his career, no doubt. However his problems this year and the rest of the defensive backfield, for that matter, were totally related to our lack of a pass rush. The Giants have to address the defensive line issues before doing anything else. If we have talent already on the roster, then why are they not playing. Whose fault is that? If it is Coghlan, then that needs to be addressed, first.

Starter
    There were also some apparent communication breakdowns on defense that didn't help Webster, but as a veteran he should have stepped up. Quarterbacks were targeting him and he was getting burned -- that's where you have to step it up and make a play to stop them from going your way.

Like I said earlier, I'm not yet willing to give up on him, because he's not as bad as he was at times this season.

From what I saw of Corey Webster, it wasn't his cover skills that were the problem. Yes, there were some miscommunications out there. But it seemed to me that in many of the big plays he gave up, he had very tight coverage. It was his ball skills that were horrible. So many times he allowed defenders to catch balls where he had good position.
    I have no idea if that's injury related or just a loss of skills due to age.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    From what I saw of Corey Webster, it wasn't his cover skills that were the problem. Yes, there were some miscommunications out there. But it seemed to me that in many of the big plays he gave up, he had very tight coverage. It was his ball skills that were horrible. So many times he allowed defenders to catch balls where he had good position.
    It was a little bit of both, IMO. He was also way too often beaten way too cleanly (couldn't stay with his man).

Quote Originally Posted by TomCat_FIN View Post
    It was a little bit of both, IMO. He was also way too often beaten way too cleanly (couldn't stay with his man).
    I didn't see as much of that as some here might be suggesting. Especially late in the season.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

I'm still wondering why Prince was relegated to the #2 receiver in man coverage to be completely honest... he was the better CB of the two. Hell even Hosley got better than Corey Toaster by the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    He's not going anywhere so he will get his shot to redeem himself. But he will be 31 in a few weeks....it is time to start looking for his eventual replacement.
    Wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a stud in the Draft! Best situation that the Draftee is takes over for the Super Bowl run.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    you know i think having already won 2 championships a couple of players Webby included seemed satisfied and decided not play this season!

his injuries, skills and age certainly contribued but i think hes a lot better than his performance indicated

+ Reply to Thread