+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    I'm really not concerned that Cruz will play somewhere else next year (or for several years after).

He's brought much, much more to the Giants organization as a whole in the past 2 seasons than Smith, Boss, Jacobs ever did, yet comparisons to the FA experiences of those 3 continue to come up in all these Cruz threads the past month.

He adds to the "face of the franchise" in ways that those 3 never did, thus bringing more to the consideration than mere stats (as superior as they've been).

So many seem to assume Cruz will be asking for "Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald-like" compensation, which Cruz has never even hinted at, and which is ****ing ridiculous to assume.

Just think back over the past 10 years or so, and see if anyone can come up with an instance of Giants not making a very competitive--even an outright aggressive--bid to retain a key player considered to be crucial to continued Giants success. And no, Smith, Jacobs, Boss, Ross, an aging Osi,,even Cofield, do not qualify as being in the same discussion as Cruz in this case.

While I agree that Cruz is not worth a C Johnson or Fitzgerald contract, I also say this is a specious comparison--a straw argument--because nowhere except on this board has that possibility ever been raised.

Cruz will be extended with the Giants this off season. Nicks is an entirely separate decision, and does not have to be dealt with for another year. His 2013 season--and the Giants' 2013 season-- will go a long way to determining how that negotiation pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Nicks View Post
    Cause he's a JOHN BROWN slot receiver who wants Top receiver money, and if he didn't want top receiver money or haven't stated it then we would not be having this debate.

People are so sentimental over players sheesh...
    Please provide evidence where he said (not some beat writer) that he wants top dollar money. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWitJPP View Post
    not much as far as a WR YET...but i think that has to do with the fact he barely gets any playing time. He was drafted to play the slot, not knowing what we had in Cruz at the time. I think he will be a pretty good player when given the chance, It's just my opinion. He fast as hell, and hes exciting with the ball in his hands. I know this is the NFL, but go watch some of his college tape
    Exactly the same thing that people uses to say about Sinorice Moss . . . .exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Posting back to back 1,000 yard seasons is not easy. I don't care if you think if he's a system player or not, Cruz is an important piece to this offense and jump started our 2011 Super Bowl run.
    I think the more realistic question is if 3 or 4 other offensive players could pick up the slack left behind by Cruz if he left. It's not like Randle is going to add 1k yards out of thin air next year or Wilson will add 1k on top of whatever he does in 2013 but 250 yards each for 4 others isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I think the more realistic question is if 3 or 4 other offensive players could pick up the slack left behind by Cruz if he left. It's not like Randle is going to add 1k yards out of thin air next year or Wilson will add 1k on top of whatever he does in 2013 but 250 yards each for 4 others isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    My issue is the undermining of Cruz's skills, and automatically thinking that whoever is on the bench can do the exact same thing. Maybe not post 1,000 yards because that's a stretch, but really take over and make the plays and contribute the way Cruz has.

I feel the Giants will do everything in there power to keep Cruz long term. If it doesn't happen the Giants will have to move foward. The Eagles moved foward after losing 31 year old Reggie White.

Giants fan since the early 80s

In our system if you're playing the 1 role, like nicks, plax, or steve smith when he went to the pro bowl, you're going to put up 1000 yards with eli under center. However putting up numbers like that in the slot takes a special type of skill. The only other slot guys capable of this that i know of is welker and Antonio brown. in my opinion cruz is the best slot receiver in the NFL. I cant see us replacing him that easily.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Please provide evidence where he said (not some beat writer) that he wants top dollar money. Thanks.
    If the deal he was seeking was reasonable, it probably would've been signed by now. Remember the two sides were talking during the season and couldn't work out a deal. I'm sure they will work it out, but obviously something was holding it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    If the deal he was seeking was reasonable, it probably would've been signed by now. Remember the two sides were talking during the season and couldn't work out a deal. I'm sure they will work it out, but obviously something was holding it up.
    We have cap issues going on, that's probably what the hold up is about.

Starter
    I don't worry about Cap issues. The organization has people to worry about the salary cap. I only worry about a player's performance and how he might or might not fit in the team. And when it comes to Cruz, I don't see why they shouldn't try to resign him, unless they plan on pulling a rabbit out of the hat and sign someone, who is better than Cruz. But that's not likely.