+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people think Cruz is easily replaceable?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    The Giants just won a Super Bowl under this "unlivable" cap situation. You think the lack of cap space injured Hakeem Nicks?

What's the common thread amonst teams which make huge splashes in free agency, year in and year out? Often, it's that those teams are rubbish.
    we didn't just win a superbowl, that was the season before last and we're living with what we have now. What has Nicks injury got to do with anything here, I'm talking about the cap not Nicks or injured players, thats another topic completely..We need to find a way out of this cap situation and the way it looks its over Rees's head and we need someone who knows the Xs and Os better than Reese does...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    With a two year sample he is a good WR. Last year was incredible and this year was good. He had a solid year.
    I would submit that......
    Good>Average
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    we didn't just win a superbowl, that was the season before last and we're living with what we have now. What has Nicks injury got to do with anything here, I'm talking about the cap not Nicks or injured players, thats another topic completely..We need to find a way out of this cap situation and the way it looks its over Rees's head and we need someone who knows the Xs and Os better than Reese does...
    Issue 1 with the cap: We have a lot of players on their second or third contracts. Those tend to be more expensive.

Issue 2: When the majority of the aforementioned contracts were handed out the projected cap for these past few years was I believe somewhere in the ball park of $10m-$20m higher than the current CBA allows. If that were the case, we'd be well below the cap right now.

Issue 3: We won a SB in '07 and '11, that elevates the value of player contracts (Webster, Snee, Diehl, Tuck, etc.).

Issue 4: We overpaid in FA for a few players at positions of need. Unfortunately, that's what happens in FA. We needed a safety in '09 so paid through the nose for Rolle. We needed a center, so paid through the nose for Baas, etc. Now, I don't know exactly what role JR has in the contract negotiations or player selection (recently departed Gettleman was in charge of pro-player scouting), but all the blame cannot be placed on him for those contracts.

Issue 5: Probably the biggest issue we have regarding the cap is that a good number of the players on large contracts are at the end of those contracts (the big money years usually) AND have underperformed their contracts the past season or so. If we were amping up for another SB, would you be *****ing about it so much?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    There's a reason why there are very few teams that have 2 high priced WRs. It just doesn't make sense to have that much locked up at one position. Having to resign JPP, Nicks, Cruz, and then Eli. That an enormous chunk of our cap invested into 4 players. People were complaining about our oline and linebackers let alone the rest of the dline. We'll have no money left. We'll have to hope that we come up with really really great drafts. If we don't, then we'll turn into the Jets with a handful of players eating up all their cap space.

Edit: Theoretically, say if Nicks/Cruz command top dollar. I might very well be cool with sacrificing one of them for 2 really good olinemen or 1 stud LT. I know we all love our potent WR group, but I think we may benefit more from a more sturdy ofline that we can run/protect Eli with.
    Eli isn't a FA until 2016
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

A fi rst round pick as compensation and I'd be ok with that....he is going to get a deal in the $10 million per season range

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    True, but his cap hit will be like 20 million next year.
    And that's the price a team has to pay for having a franchise QB. Unfortunately, the restructure he did last year added $2m or $3m a year to his cap hit over the rest of his contract.

I heard on the radio today that Flacco wants Brees type money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    I'm saying I'm sure other teams would pay a lot to get a Fitzgerald.
    I would hope that we get Larry Fitz and pay him. lol.........

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    And that's the price a team has to pay for having a franchise QB. Unfortunately, the restructure he did last year added $2m or $3m a year to his cap hit over the rest of his contract.

I heard on the radio today that Flacco wants Brees type money.
    yep - around 5 yrs/100mil

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    I would hope that we get Larry Fitz and pay him. lol.........
    Except he'd be old as hell by the time his contract is up

+ Reply to Thread