+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 614
  1. #51
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,232
    Quote Originally Posted by born blue View Post
    Nicks is FA next year, and I'm not sure the Giants want to or can pay both Nicks and Cruz. Why not tender Cruz for a 1st and 3rd, let him and Nicks play together next year, and then pick which one to sign?
    That's exactly what will happen unless we can work out a reasonable long term deal with Cruz

  2. #52
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,443
    Quote Originally Posted by born blue View Post
    Nicks is FA next year, and I'm not sure the Giants want to or can pay both Nicks and Cruz. Why not tender Cruz for a 1st and 3rd, let him and Nicks play together next year, and then pick which one to sign?
    Nicks doesn't become a FA until 2014. If they want to keep them both, they have to sign Cruz to a long term deal this this season and Nicks next season. They won't be able to afford both deals next year.

    I think we can agree Cruz deserves better than the tag based on his performance. If that's what they do, what makes him want to be here after 2013? He's been "underpaid" since 2011 when he set records. He never complained, never held out, willingly waited for his time to come. That time is now. If they low ball him again with the tender, I'd say that was a slap in the face.

    If Reese, on the other hand, says I am only willing to go $6.5M a year for 4 years and the Patriots offer him $8M for 5 years and are willing to give up a 1st for him, what would any of us do? Obviously these numbers bear no resemblance to reality.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-26-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  3. #53
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,117
    Quote Originally Posted by born blue View Post
    Nicks is FA next year, and I'm not sure the Giants want to or can pay both Nicks and Cruz. Why not tender Cruz for a 1st and 3rd, let him and Nicks play together next year, and then pick which one to sign?
    Rules have changed, we can only tender him at a 1st. But, still, if we lose Cruz at least we'll get some kind of compensation for him; it won't be empty handed.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Nicks doesn't become a FA until 2014. If they want to keep them both, they have to sign Cruz to a long term deal this this season and Nicks next season. They won't be able to afford both deals next year.

    I think we can agree Cruz deserves better than the tag based on his performance. If that's what they do, what makes him want to be here after 2013? He's been "underpaid" since 2011 when he set records. He never complained, never held out, willingly waited for his time to come. That time is now. If they low ball him again with the tender, I'd say that was a slap in the face.

    If Reese, on the other hand, says I am only willing to go $6.5M a year for 4 years and the Patriots offer him $8M for 5 years and are willing to give up a 1st for him, what would any of us do? Obviously these numbers bear no resemblance to reality.

    I agree. I can trust Reese to get a deal done with Cruz. To have an NFL player that won't go public about being seriously underpaid and being patient through his contract is a luxury in itself.

  5. #55
    Starter born blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Nicks doesn't become a FA until 2014. If they want to keep them both, they have to sign Cruz to a long term deal this this season and Nicks next season. They won't be able to afford both deals next year.

    I think we can agree Cruz deserves better than the tag based on his performance. If that's what they do, what makes him want to be here after 2013? He's been "underpaid" since 2011 when he set records. He never complained, never held out, willingly waited for his time to come. That time is now. If they low ball him again with the tender, I'd say that was a slap in the face.

    If Reese, on the other hand, says I am only willing to go $6.5M a year for 4 years and the Patriots offer him $8M for 5 years and are willing to give up a 1st for him, what would any of us do? Obviously these numbers bear no resemblance to reality.
    I agree with everything you're saying here. I'm just thinking that long term, it might not be viable to have two big time receivers making big time money. I'm drawing a blank in thinking of successful teams that spend a lot of money on WR. I think we may have to live with the idea that if Reese signs Vic to an extension (which I'm fine with...love the kid), and Nicks has a big year next year, that we will probably have to let him walk and get nothing in return.

  6. #56
    Reese will worry about Nicks' contract when 2014 come by. Right now, it's about 2013 and the Superbowl next season.

  7. #57
    How much the Giants are able to spend?

  8. #58
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,443
    Quote Originally Posted by born blue View Post
    I agree with everything you're saying here. I'm just thinking that long term, it might not be viable to have two big time receivers making big time money. I'm drawing a blank in thinking of successful teams that spend a lot of money on WR. I think we may have to live with the idea that if Reese signs Vic to an extension (which I'm fine with...love the kid), and Nicks has a big year next year, that we will probably have to let him walk and get nothing in return.
    Reese will figure out what to do with Nicks in 2014 when he has to. One season at a time.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  9. #59
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    How much the Giants are able to spend?
    Only they know with any certainty
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Reese will figure out what to do with Nicks in 2014 when he has to. One season at a time.
    I disagree. Cruz - Nicks - JPP. These contracts will all have to be structured in such a way that ensures the cap will not be blown out by such a small number of players. I doubt Reese is trying to work Cruz in without thinking about the other franchise signings he'll have to make in the near future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts