+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 614

Thread: Why do people think Cruz is easily replaceable?

  1. #71
    Absolutely correct

  2. #72
    Veteran JJC7301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    +1, but I'd move on -- WR's are expensive and this team appears to have many holes to fill.

    While I think that Nicks is the better WR, I'd keep Cruz because of Nicks seems to be injured too often.

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    Manningham leaving had nothing to do with this seasons bad play. We had a weak O line,weak LBs and a ton of injuries. He was a nice receiver who imo made more mistakes than good plays. No more than that.
    .
    He also drew coverage away from Nicks, Cruz and Ballard. Defenses had to respect him; that wasn't the case with Hixon, Barden and Randle. The team cycled #3s all season because none could do what Manningham did.

    I'm not sure what sort of impact linebackers have on the offense, but the team's o-line wasn't the greatest in 2011, either.

  4. #74
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    He also drew coverage away from Nicks, Cruz and Ballard. Defenses had to respect him; that wasn't the case with Hixon, Barden and Randle. The team cycled #3s all season because none could do what Manningham did.
    Sorry, Nicks was the one drawing coverage away leaving things open for MM, Cruz, and Ballard. The problem with this year's offense was much more a hobbled Nicks than not having MM. Not to say that MM didn't perform better than Hixon/Randle, he did, but he wasn't a lynch pin to the offense in any way.

  5. #75
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In Cruz' Basement, Hiding
    Posts
    31,362
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    +1, but I'd move on -- WR's are expensive and this team appears to have many holes to fill. While I think that Nicks is the better WR, I'd keep Cruz because of Nicks seems to be injured too often.
    This and..I would absolutely hate to see my husband in another jersey. This is his home!

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Sorry, Nicks was the one drawing coverage away leaving things open for MM, Cruz, and Ballard. The problem with this year's offense was much more a hobbled Nicks than not having MM. Not to say that MM didn't perform better than Hixon/Randle, he did, but he wasn't a lynch pin to the offense in any way.
    I mean, in his role as #3, he could do more than the guys the team had this season. Defenses had to account for his long game - Hixon, Barden and Randle (at least initially) didn't possess one. There was no solid #3 this season, Manningham's worth really wasn't apparent until he was gone. I'm not saying he was integral to the offense's success, but he certainly wasn't detriment to it.
    I think Randle progressed slower than the coaches had anticipated. Had he clicked earlier, Manningham's absence wouldn't have been as noticeable.

  7. #77
    Starter born blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I think Randle progressed slower than the coaches had anticipated. Had he clicked earlier, Manningham's absence wouldn't have been as noticeable.

    Yes. Because Coughlin always anticipates great things from his rookies and gives them every chance to succeed.

    In all seriousness, I think you're right that the NYG needed a #3 WR all year, which was made even worse with Nicks' injuries. Couldn't resist taking a quick shot at Tom's distrust of rookies though...

  8. #78
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    97,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I disagree. Cruz - Nicks - JPP. These contracts will all have to be structured in such a way that ensures the cap will not be blown out by such a small number of players. I doubt Reese is trying to work Cruz in without thinking about the other franchise signings he'll have to make in the near future.
    Nicks isn't a FA until 2014 and he has 20+ free agents to consider re-signing now.. Nothing is impossible, but the CAP space dictates just how much you can get done in one season.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Sorry, Nicks was the one drawing coverage away leaving things open for MM, Cruz, and Ballard. The problem with this year's offense was much more a hobbled Nicks than not having MM. Not to say that MM didn't perform better than Hixon/Randle, he did, but he wasn't a lynch pin to the offense in any way.
    This. And actually Hixon 2012 outperformed MM 2011. The problem was Nicks being injured. Hixon can play well at #3, but not at #1 or #2. Neither could MM for that matter.

  10. #80
    Administrator Die-Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Nicks isn't a FA until 2014 and he has 20+ free agents to consider re-signing now.. Nothing is impossible, but the CAP space dictates just how much you can get done in one season.
    Exactly, RF.

    Many people may not know that Eli's cap hit in 2013, as it stands right now, is in the area of $20 mil. Thats just ONE guy. The ceiling for 2013 is projected to be in the area of $120 mil. 20+ free agents as it currently stands, and they're already over by close to $5 mil. Reese can not put all of his eggs in one basket by signing Cruz to a monster, cap busting deal with so many other major needs at other positions. WR's wont mean a thing if the Oline isn't addressed, since I doubt very highly that Eli will be throwing many passes from the ground, at least to his own players.

    I'd hate to see him walk, but it IS a business, and I daresay that not one of us would turn down a few million dollars from somewhere else to stay at our current place of employment. Not one. Loyalty doesn't pay the bills.

    I'd also like to add that if he left, it would most definitely have a huge impact on this offense. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. Barden and Jernigan, who are both UFA's now, have proven absolutely nothing in their time here. Hixon has made a handful of plays here and there, and was a decent return man now and then, but he can hardly be counted on to put up Cruz' type of numbers in a bigger role, regardless of who is throwing him the ball. Add to the fact that we have no clue what Nicks is going to look like next season after his injuries. All of a sudden, signing Cruz sounds like a no-brainer, right? Again, what about the other needs though? Its more complicated than the average Joe believes

    Jerry Reese is most certainly in an unenviable position right about now.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts