+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Pat Traina with her thoughts after studying cap situation - she knows her stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pathas View Post
    a player can defer a portion of his non guaranteed salary to a future year without changing what guaranteed money he has coming from the signing bonus - which is the only thing that's guaranteed, I believe. But maybe I am wrong about this. I think Brady did that last year.
    Huh? A signing bonus is guaranteed money. You mean a player could push off getting the signing bonus for a year? How would that help the team or the player? A signing bonus is distributed through the entire contract regardless.

If you mean a player could defer his base salary, then it just makes them a far more likely release candidate in the future.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Huh? A signing bonus is guaranteed money. You mean a player could push off getting the signing bonus for a year? How would that help the team or the player? A signing bonus is distributed through the entire contract regardless.

If you mean a player could defer his base salary, then it just makes them a far more likely release candidate in the future.
    that's what I said - the base is not guaranteed and it can be deferred. So you're right - that would make them a far more likely release candidate in the future. Thus - that would be a restructure not in favor of the player. Flip Empty said restructures are ALWAYS in the favor of the player and I don't think I agree with that - but then I can't site any specific examples. So again - maybe I am wrong - but I think I'm right - and that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    Brown was toasted in coverage plenty of times last year, and Will Hill hasn't played enough to say one way or another.

+1
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

that's what I said - the base is not guaranteed and it can be deferred. So you're right - that would make them a far more likely release candidate in the future. Thus - that would be a restructure not in favor of the player. Flip Empty said restructures are ALWAYS in the favor of the player and I don't think I agree with that - but then I can't site any specific examples. So again - maybe I am wrong - but I think I'm right - and that's what matters.
    Restructure always do benefit the player. It turns non-guaranteed money into guaranateed money. Slip was just saying that if a player could defer base salary, then it would make them more likely to be released (as a cap casualty) before that money is due to them.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Restructure always do benefit the player. It turns non-guaranteed money into guaranateed money. Slip was just saying that if a player could defer base salary, then it would make them more likely to be released (as a cap casualty) before that money is due to them.
    so what you are saying is that a player has NEVER deferred a part of his base salary??? I don't believe it. But maybe that's true.

so what you are saying is that a player has NEVER deferred a part of his base salary??? I don't believe it. But maybe that's true.
    Why would a player defer part of his base salary? Have you ever gone up to your boss and said, "Hey, business sucked this week, so you can give me 25% this week's pay this week two weeks from now."

Thats not a restructure then. Thats agreeing to a new contract. Restructure is only moving base salary to signing bonus.

I have never heard of any player pushing his base salary back a season. Why would a player ever agree to that unless they changed a portion of it to guaranteed money.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Thats not a restructure then. Thats agreeing to a new contract. Restructure is only moving base salary to signing bonus.

I have never heard of any player pushing his base salary back a season. Why would a player ever agree to that unless they changed a portion of it to guaranteed money.
    Exactly. It just doesn't make sense for the player to do it.

+ Reply to Thread