+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: giants oline rank pff

giants oline rank pff

got this from ralph vachiano tweet...

Great stuff from @PFF, ranking the NFL's O-lines. Giants ranking was different than I expected ...

... PFF ranked the Giants 11th, way up from 31st where they had ranked them last year. They ranked them 20th in pass blocking, 4th in run blocking.

PFF also had some very interesting analysis of the line and a couple of players in particular -- Will Beatty and David Diehl -- but you'll have to go to their site to read it ...

https​://www.pro​footballfo​cus.com/bl​og/2013/01​/28/rankin​g-the-2012​-offensive​-lines/3/

The article states that we still need depth (the interior in particular) for the future but you could say overall that we don't need to "blow up" the whole unit like it's made out to be. Less injuries across the board and the criticism they received last year probably contributed to a much better showing for 2012.

20'th in pass block is still not acceptable because we are a pass oriented team. Wonder how much the run blocking impacted overall performance. Hoping some of the young guys improve this year like Beatty did.

i would love for this team to turn into a run dominate team, with the ability to pass,

i don't see how they were ranked fourth in run blocking?

4th in run blocking might explain things like Bradshaw's 200 yard game, or Brown's awesomeness before he got hurt. But the pass blocking was terrible, especially from Diehl. A new RT means we can actually throw... upgrading at that one position alone pretty much makes the difference between ELIte and whoever that guy wearing #10 in the ravens game was...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShouldersOf View Post
    i would love for this team to turn into a run dominate team, with the ability to pass,

i don't see how they were ranked fourth in run blocking?
    could explain why some of us claimed the rbs werent attacking the holes correctly...bradshaw in particular for a span.

and we were 20th ranked pass blocking but i wonder how much eli helps that ranking by getting rid of the ball so quickly...and yes that would effect pff grading the OL solely bc the longer the OL has to hold their blocks, more chance they get beat and result is a poorer grade...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    4th in run blocking might explain things like Bradshaw's 200 yard game, or Brown's awesomeness before he got hurt. But the pass blocking was terrible, especially from Diehl. A new RT means we can actually throw... upgrading at that one position alone pretty much makes the difference between ELIte and whoever that guy wearing #10 in the ravens game was...
    Let's hope we're going to cover that before most everything else
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...fensive-lines/

Excerpt: "11. New York Giants (31)
    PB – 20th, RB – 4th, PEN – 12th

Stud:
    Though he gets next to no praise, Will Beatty (+22.4) had a year that warranted Pro Bowl consideration. The penalties aren’t ideal, but there are not many left tackles who can keep their quarterback upright and generate movement in the run game.

Dud:
    It was David Diehl (-6.2) again, but the truth is he actually performed a lot better in the second half of the season compared to the liability we’ve known him to be.

Summary:
    A big improvement from this line, which was terrible in 2011. They made a big contribution in the running game while ensuring Eli Manning faced significantly less pressure. Still, this line is in transition to a degree with a few of players getting to that age where the cliff is approaching." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

way to go beatty. i still feel he can even get better. we need to resign him desperately, then if we could get Fisher in RD 1, my goodness our OL would actually be a strength...

Man if Nicks was healthy this year...don't want to say we'd be playing this week, but we'd have definitely been in the playoffs.

+ Reply to Thread