+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: giants oline rank pff

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...fensive-lines/

Excerpt: "11. New York Giants (31)
    PB – 20th, RB – 4th, PEN – 12th

Stud:
    Though he gets next to no praise, Will Beatty (+22.4) had a year that warranted Pro Bowl consideration. The penalties aren’t ideal, but there are not many left tackles who can keep their quarterback upright and generate movement in the run game.

Dud:
    It was David Diehl (-6.2) again, but the truth is he actually performed a lot better in the second half of the season compared to the liability we’ve known him to be.

Summary:
    A big improvement from this line, which was terrible in 2011. They made a big contribution in the running game while ensuring Eli Manning faced significantly less pressure. Still, this line is in transition to a degree with a few of players getting to that age where the cliff is approaching." Read more...
    All the more reason I say Beatty is actually more important to re-sign than Cruz. Yet everyone thinks i am an idiot for thinking this...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

How is the rush blocking calculated? By total yards? In other words if a running play is completely blown up in the backfield and the running back breaks it for 90+ yards and a touchdown, does that go in the line's favor?
    warm salsa

Here is how some of the NYG linemen ranked compared to the rest of the league.

Beatty is #11 overall for OTs in the league, allowing a total of 3 sacks and 22 hurries.

Snee is #13 overall for OGs in the league, allowing a total of 2 sacks, 3 hits, and 22 hurries.

Boothe is #22 overall for OGs in the league, allowing a total of 3 sacks, 7 hits, and 21 hurries.

Baas is #22 overall for Cs in the league, allowing a total of 1 sack, 7 hits, and 16 hurries.

Diehl and Locklear aren't included because they didn't even break the top 50. Boothe was the worst graded pass blocker of the 4 and only Beatty is a better graded pass blocker than run blocker out of the 4 above mentioned players.

Funny. Terrible line in 2011. win SB.

Let Booth go and give me a mauler at RG and a serviceable RT and watch Wilson Blow up behind a line with a healthy Snee. If Wilson blows then he takes pressure off Eli and our WRs, but it all starts with run blocking.

I think after looking a little closer at the O Iine (it was always obvious we need a RT) a closer look at the interior particularly at replacing Booth and Baas may me in order. Look for someone in FA and one in the draft (not sure if Cordle is the guy in the center, really didn't see enough of him). Additionally, although many may disagree a solid push by Brewer this year and the G'Men could have a solid line.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    I think after looking a little closer at the O Iine (it was always obvious we need a RT) a closer look at the interior particularly at replacing Booth and Baas may me in order. Look for someone in FA and one in the draft (not sure if Cordle is the guy in the center, really didn't see enough of him). Additionally, although many may disagree a solid push by Brewer this year and the G'Men could have a solid line.
    Unfortunately we're not getting rid of Baas anytime soon... it's just too costly on the cap to cut him outright and we're going to have to play out his contract. Wouldn't mind seeing a late round project either this year or next to develop into the C of the future though...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

But we gotta take into account 2 Key FA's in Boothe and Beatty, who were the 2best lineman we had for the course of the season.. Locklear was great, but just tore his ACL at his age, and Snee is still solid, but slowly falling off yr to yr, and Diehl is terrible, and Brewer is basically a unknown, and Baas can be upgraded.. The bottom line is that article means very little with the situations are Oline faces going forward....

Quote Originally Posted by craigjr007 View Post
    got this from ralph vachiano tweet...

Great stuff from @PFF, ranking the NFL's O-lines. Giants ranking was different than I expected ...

... PFF ranked the Giants 11th, way up from 31st where they had ranked them last year. They ranked them 20th in pass blocking, 4th in run blocking.

PFF also had some very interesting analysis of the line and a couple of players in particular -- Will Beatty and David Diehl -- but you'll have to go to their site to read it ...

https​://www.pro​footballfo​cus.com/bl​og/2013/01​/28/rankin​g-the-2012​-offensive​-lines/3/
    Rankings on pass blocking are arbitrary and relate largely to sacks allowed. They don't factor in how much time the QB really has to get rid of the ball or who the QB is. In our case Eli, has a good clock in his head and got rid of it quickly. Why should the OL get credit for that? What we don't know is how much better he'd have been with an extra half second to make that read. I like stats because they provide a reference point to begin the analysis. Howver, many of these stats are little more than numbers which haven't been normalized for strength of the competition, who the quarterback is, the type of stadium you play in etc, etc.
    No one remembers who came in second.

+ Reply to Thread