+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could travel back in time what sporting event would you like to attend?

I feel I need to start this out by sharing my belief that baseball in not actually a sport*

I would pick Jackie Robinson's first game in the major leagues.

There's history, and then there's history. To be in that crowd, to hear, see and feel the good and the bad would just be amazing.

*Baseball does not pass the lawn chair test. Before any play started, if you had all players sit down in lawn chairs, and during the course of the play, most could remain seated in the lawn chairs and the play not be effected, then it is not a sport. You can sub in grilling a hotdog if you would like.
    "I was disappointed that Eli did not lead his team in that brawl. I'm not saying I would have completely lost respect for him as a leader if I were on the squad but that kind of suspect behavior would definitely have me eyeing him sideways"...elitikistrahan

Our Superbowl victories (I was at XXV)... the Mets, game 6 in '86... any Ali-Frazier fight... US beats Russia in '80...
    There are many worthy choices, and all are events where you got a lot of bang for your buck.
    But, how about an event that took only 2 minutes and 24 seconds? Would that be worth the price of admission?
    No, not Foreman-Frazier.
    This shortest, most incredible event has to be included...
    Secretariat runs the most perfect horse race ever... winning the Belmont stakes by 32 lengths in 1973.
    I saw it, and it was hard to bellieve. No horse will ever beat that time for 1.5 miles..

Reggie Jackson...1977 WS...
    3 pitches
    3 different pitchers
    3 homeruns
    game 7

if it was never done that would an impossible feat to accomplish if it was scripted......
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Reggie Jackson...1977 WS...
    3 pitches
    3 different pitchers
    3 homeruns
    game 7

if it was never done that would an impossible feat to accomplish if it was scripted......
    Great moment. But it was game 6 not game 7.

Bench Player
    I would choose to go back to the height of the Mayan civilization to see an ancient ball court game, the losers get killed...thats some motivation. It was llike a soccer/handball full contact basketball. Intense!

Quote Originally Posted by DVision View Post
    SB 42 victory.
    For the Giants -- SB 42. ANY sporting event, Game 6 of the '86 World Series. Possibly the Miracle on Ice in '80.

I'd love to see The Miracle On Ice.
    Super Bowl 42 would be awesome as well

I was at Game 6 of the 1996 World Series and last years SB , For the Giants I take SB42. but overall The Miracle on Ice would be at the top.

1. Roman Colosseum
    2. Aztec "Soccer"
    3. 2007 NYG vs. Undefeated Patriots
    4. MJ n the Bulls in his prime.

Super Bowl XXI. Only Giants Super Bowl I did not watch (by virtue of not existing until 1988) Don't really remember XXV that well either so I'm down with that one too...

Outside football, I'd want to see the one-game playoff between the Yankees and Red Sox in 1978. That season was to the yankees like 2011 season for the Giants. Falling so far behind and then mounting an epic comeback to eventually take the division right at the finish line, then go on a tear in the postseason to win it all.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

+ Reply to Thread