+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Parcells

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Okay, show your age and let's talk about our very own who's left an edible mark on the NFL.

Do you think he'll get in on Sunday, and what are your memories of Bill?
    He was a great HC with a substantial coaching tree beneath him. His orientation was defense and on offense he'e take only the minimum risk necessary to win. If we were playing a weak team, the game would be a snoozer with us running a vanilla offense with mostly running plays. If we were playing a top oponent, all bets were off. He'd break out wrinkles not seen before on offense and special teams. He had great leadership qualities. One of my favorite memories was him and Simms jawing at each other on the sideline, both looking straight ahead, trying to fake the cameras into believing they weren't arguing on the sidelines.

That said, I grew to not like the guy. It may sound strange after the praise I heaped on him. He was a mercenary for the front office to deal with. He never let his contract settle in. Worse, he did it all publicly through the media. It was like dealing with a current day WR or CB diva. He constantly talked about retiring and or leaving the Giants. He let Bellicheat get away to strengthen his negotiating position with us, then left us holding the bag with Ray Handley. I would never use the word class with Parcells as I obviously would with Coughlin. I wouldn't hire him (even in his prime) as my coach knowing what I know about his restless heart. I'm not a big fan of drama in the locker room especially coming from a coach.

Still his body of work is large and should land him in the HOF soon. I'm guessing it happens this year.
    Last edited by jomo; 01-29-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

I sure hope he gets in

my memories of Bill are screaming at Simms, Belichick, Erhardt, and Crennel on the sidelines....

....walking around in short shorts and a parachute shirt with high socks at training camp chain smoking cigarettes

....the best at dealing with the media

.....and one of the best football minds in the history of the game

"....for the rest of your lives men....no one can say you couldn't do it....cus ya did it ....."

Getting soaked in Gatorade. A button pusher extrodinair. Great with the media.
    I think he gets in. He has a legacy and a shroud of greatness that followed him. But I also think a coach shouldn't take an HOF candidate spot from a player for the year. It should be a separate group.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Okay, show your age and let's talk about our very own who's left an edible mark on the NFL.

Do you think he'll get in on Sunday, and what are your memories of Bill?
    An edible mark? Is that a crack about his weight??? lol

Great coach who brought us from obscurity to relevance. Just wish he stayed longer . . ..

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    He was a great HC with a substantial coaching tree beneath him. His orientation was defense and on offense he'e take only the minimum risk necessary to win. If we were playing a weak team, the game would be a snoozer with us running a vanilla offense with mostly running plays. If we were playing a top oponent, all bets were off. He'd break out wrinkles not seen before on offense and special teams. He had great leadership qualities. One of my favorite memories was him and Simms jawing at each other on the sideline, both looking straight ahead, trying to fake the cameras into believing they weren't arguing on the sidelines.

That said, I grew to not like the guy. It may sound strange after the praise I heaped on him. He was a mercenary for the front office to deal with. He never let his contract settle in. Worse, he did it all publicly through the media. It was like dealing with a current day WR or CB diva. He constantly talked about retiring and or leaving the Giants. He let Bellicheat get away to strengthen his negotiating position with us, then left us holding the bag with Ray Handley. I would never use the word class with Parcells as I obviously would with Coughlin. I wouldn't hire him (even in his prime) as my coach knowing what I know about his restless heart. I'm not a big fan of drama in the locker room especially coming from a coach.

Still his body of work is large and should land him in the HOF soon. I'm guessing it happens this year.
    To me, the only difference between Parcells and TC is the Parcells drama . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    I sure hope he gets in

my memories of Bill are screaming at Simms, Belichick, Erhardt, and Crennel on the sidelines....

....walking around in short shorts and a parachute shirt with high socks at training camp chain smoking cigarettes

....the best at dealing with the media

.....and one of the best football minds in the history of the game

"....for the rest of your lives men....no one can say you couldn't do it....cus ya did it ....."
    All this is true about Parcells YA, but he has some major problems playing with others.
    He left us in a terrible spot by leaving after the draft and making it impossible to hire a good replacement.
    He dumped the Pats by not even riding on the plane back home with the team after the SB loss.
    He has had problems seeing any job thru since leaving the Giants and has burned a lot of bridges. He's the "Kieth Olberman" of football coaches in that respect.

There is a soft spot in my heart for Bill, and he understood people and players like few other coaches, but he is one heck of a defective person as well.
    Get well soon 80.

I always did feel that we had a coaching advantage going into a big game no matter who the oponent was. His game plans were always brilliant and his half time adjustments were the thing of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    To me, the only difference between Parcells and TC is the Parcells drama . . . .
    I thnk that Parcells is a more gifted HC, able to attract better coordinators and front line line coaches. His game planning was also better than TC's. I'd just rather have TC as my neighbor for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I thnk that Parcells is a more gifted HC, able to attract better coordinators and front line line coaches. His game planning was also better than TC's. I'd just rather have TC as my neighbor for sure.
    Parcell's teams were more dominant for sure. TC's squads are scrappy, capable of occasional dominance, that get hot and ride the momentum through the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty192 View Post
    Parcell's teams were more dominant for sure. TC's squads are scrappy, capable of occasional dominance, that get hot and ride the momentum through the post season.
    Our teams under Parcells were much more disciplined and much less mistake prone. They were truly dominant teams.
    Our TC teams are far more defective and head scratching. But in the new NFL, you can get hot and find a way to win playoff games.
    Get well soon 80.

+ Reply to Thread