+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bill Parcells

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    The 86 team is the gold standard. 14-2 record, and in the playoffs beat the 49ers 49-3, Washington 17-0, and Denver 39-20.

The 90 team went 13-3 and won the SB.
    The 89 team went 12-4 and lost a shocker in OT in the playoffs (Rams/Flipper Anderson)
    The 88 team was 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
    The 85 team was 10-6 and ran into the 85 Bears in the playoffs.
    I equate the 89 team to the 2008 team. Very good regular season, but lose in the first playoff game to a wildcard team. I actually think that the 89 playoff loss was worse. Hard to call a team that lost in the first game of the playoffs dominant.

The 90 team was rolling until Simms got hurt. They certainly weren't dominant when Hostetler was at QB (although this is probably my favorite Giants team of all time). I 'll give you that one though.

The 85 and 88 teams were good but not dominant.

I only objected to the suggestion that all of Parcells' teams were dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
    Bill was great and there were many things to love about him. There are three problems, however.

(1) He disdained the press and didn't hide it. Who do you think votes on these kinds of things?

(2) Disloyalty. He screwed every single organization he worked for on the way out and left them in twisted heaps of flaming wreckage. He tried to quit on the Giants after XXI and did so after XXV leaving the organization a wreck. He publicly fought with Robert Kraft before a Super Bowl and then quit and went to their main rival, the Jets. There after Belichick quits after being head coach for a day he still slinks out the back door only to resurface at Dallas... Which he quits and then goes to Miami, which he pretty much wrecked and quit before even getting them back on their feet.

This guy screwed two of the best owners in the NFL, the Maras and the Krafts. That won't go unnoticed.

(3) Diminishing effectiveness. He won 2 Super Bowls with the Giants. Lost a Super Bowl with the Pats. Made a conference championship with the Jets. Nothing with Dallas. Even worse nothing with Miami.
    If you lived in the Hartford, CT area (like I did at the time) you would NEVER think Robert Kraft was a good owner.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread