+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bill Parcells

Veteran
    Let's face it, we loved Bill because he took the team to the big dance and won. It was the first SUPERBOWL win and the first National win in thirty years. What's not to love? Plus he did have that personality. Do hope he gets in the HOF, be it this year or whenever, he deserves it.

Veteran
    Parcells descendants.

-Tom Coughlin

-Bill Belicheck

-Sean Payton

6 super bowls combined.

If he's not in the HOF then the HOF is a shame.

How about when he left the Tampa Bay ownership standing on the airport runway? He is a troubled guy who has a special place in my heart.............if that's possible.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Parcells descendants.

-Tom Coughlin

-Bill Belicheck

-Sean Payton

6 super bowls combined.

If he's not in the HOF then the HOF is a shame.
    Wait, so Sean Payton was an NFL coach since 1997, but since he was on Parcells staff in Dallas for 3 years, he is now a Parcells descendant, and BP gets credit for turning him into a SB winning coach???

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    How about when he left the Tampa Bay ownership standing on the airport runway? He is a troubled guy who has a special place in my heart.............if that's possible.
    Agreed.. I am glad we had him when we did. Before he became a hired gun with a huge ego.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    To me, the only difference between Parcells and TC is the Parcells drama . . . .
    Parcells always looked to capitalize on a change of momentum. Tom obviously missed that class.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Bill was great and there were many things to love about him. There are three problems, however.

(1) He disdained the press and didn't hide it. Who do you think votes on these kinds of things?

(2) Disloyalty. He screwed every single organization he worked for on the way out and left them in twisted heaps of flaming wreckage. He tried to quit on the Giants after XXI and did so after XXV leaving the organization a wreck. He publicly fought with Robert Kraft before a Super Bowl and then quit and went to their main rival, the Jets. There after Belichick quits after being head coach for a day he still slinks out the back door only to resurface at Dallas... Which he quits and then goes to Miami, which he pretty much wrecked and quit before even getting them back on their feet.

This guy screwed two of the best owners in the NFL, the Maras and the Krafts. That won't go unnoticed.

(3) Diminishing effectiveness. He won 2 Super Bowls with the Giants. Lost a Super Bowl with the Pats. Made a conference championship with the Jets. Nothing with Dallas. Even worse nothing with Miami.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 01-30-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Parcells the coach is a Hall of Famer. Parcells the GM , not so much. He should get in, but I dont think it should be 1st ballot.

He has done some great things in his career but he has also burned a lot of bridges around the league. You simply cannot exclude what he did in Miami from his body of work and that is what destroyed his reputation. That team was a financial disaster when he left and is only now just beginning to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    What teams under Parcells were dominant? The 1986 team?
    The 86 team is the gold standard. 14-2 record, and in the playoffs beat the 49ers 49-3, Washington 17-0, and Denver 39-20.

The 90 team went 13-3 and won the SB.
    The 89 team went 12-4 and lost a shocker in OT in the playoffs (Rams/Flipper Anderson)
    The 88 team was 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
    The 85 team was 10-6 and ran into the 85 Bears in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    i dont know how close him and Strahan are but i think they go in together!

Does Parcells go in as a Giant? One last snub?

+ Reply to Thread