+ Reply to Thread

Cool Kruunch's Post Senior Bowl Mock (2.0)

1) Alec Okafor (DE) - The number 1 pick continues to be a mystery as the Giants could go in so many directions here (OL, DT, CB, LB, etc ...) and will have good value at the #19 pick. The DTs at this level (Jesse Williams, Jonathan Hankins) project as 3-4 NTs. Although the Giants could definitely use the big inside presence on the dline I don't think they go here. I also don't see the Giants picking a LB or OL at this level unless they are a no-brainer and I don't think the options that will be available (Ogletree, Minter and Fluker, Cooper respectively) will elicit that kind of excitement in our front office. That bring us down to what will excite the Giants front office ... and that's a pass rushing DE. More specifically, a replacement and heir-apparent for Justin Tuck on the strongside of the defensive line. I believe with the fervor surrounding Ezekial Ansah, he will be gone by #19 and that leaves us with Alec Okafor, Dion Jordan and Datone Jones. Dion Jordan is a classic 3-4 tweener and of the not-so-favorable variety. At 6'6 245, he's too light to be a 4-3 DE and too tall to manage SAM duties well. The obvious choice is to put on weight, but at 6'6 he will most likely run into back problems with an additional 25-35 pounds on him. Alternatively, Datone Jones really projects well as a 3-4 DE (someone who can play inside) and was outshined by his team mate and last contender here; Alec Okafor. Alec Okafor is a polished, high motor guy who can set the edge, is stout at the point of attack and compliments JPP very well. He's also played both sides of the ball and the interior so can be moved around in our Nascar package with a minimal learning curve. Alternate Pick: Xavier Rhodes (CB)

2) Logan Ryan (CB) - If we don't go CB in the first round, I think we definitely go for it here. Oline is still not offering excitement at this level (the way projections are currently falling) and neither is the LB position with Khaseem Green and Arthur Brown being available. However Logan Ryan has put together a terrific junior season, has great range and the size the Giants like in their CBs. With CWeb being on the downside of his career, Hosely still being a question mark to start opposite Prince full time and this being a passing league, I think Ryan makes a lot of sense here. Alternative Picks: Oday Aboushi (OT), Khaseem Green (LB)

3) Arthur Brown (LB) - I think Arthur Brown, who is probably the definition of "solid" is also the definition of "unexciting". To his end, I think his stock falls somewhat and he is available at this pick. No one will pick this guy and think they have a game changer, BUT Arhtur Brown could very well be our next Harry Carson. A guy who shows up every play, can play all three of the LB positions well, has range, toughness and good football awareness. Think of this guy as Chase Blackburn who can actually shed blocks well. Could very well be the biggest sleeper of the draft. Alternative Picks: Justin Pugh (OT/OG), Sylvester Williams (DT)

4) Brian Winters (OG/OT) - We add versatility and depth to our offensive line with this pick. Starting tackle for Kent State, projects inside as an OG at the next level. The Giants modus operandi with regards to the offensive line during Reese's tenure has been to throw low draft picks at the position and supplement with free agency. I don't think this year is any different. With a garden of talent in the wings (Petrus, Brewer, Cordle, McCants, Mosley) it's going to be a measure of who shakes out the best. Considering Brewer's lack of production in pre-season this year and his overall disappearance during the regular season, I could see this pick as fixing that miss-pick of years past. Alternative Picks: Khaled Jones (OT), Nico Johnson (LB)

5) Bernie Logan (DT) - If we haven't already, this is where the defensive line gets an injection. LSU ranked 5th in defense last year and Bernie Logan was a big part of the reason why. Stout run defender who can take on double teams ... yes please. Alternative Picks: Micael Williams (TE), Tyran Mathieu (CB)

6) Braxston Cave (OG/C) - Because Baas isn't doing a thing for me and double dipping on offensive line picks is what we do when we don't know what we're doing. Alternative Picks: This is where I start throwing darts so really whatever appeals.

7) Rodney Smith (WR) - 6'5, 215 and can catch ... .yowza! (need someone to replace the Barden experiment).

great mock.. lots of value here

I like this mock. I think you have the right range for Logan Ryan and I've been fond of him for a while. There is a log-jam at CB in the 1-2nd rounds and I don't think anyone knows how it will shake up. Okafor might be a reach though, and I'm very confident that Arthur Brown is an early 2nd rounder as of now.

All 4 first picks are safe which is why I feel this might be more of a dream scenario than a reality. A WR in the 7th is also a nice touch.

Another thing I have noticed is it seems Reese usually replaces FA's-to-be with rookies. Jacobs for Wilson. Manningham for Randle. KMac for Brewer...etc.
    Last edited by PBTimmons; 01-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    I like this mock. I think you have the right range for Logan Ryan and I've been fond of him for a while. There is a log-jam at CB in the 1-2nd rounds and I don't think anyone knows how it will shake up.

All 4 first picks are safe which is why I feel this might be more of a dream scenario than a reality. A WR in the 7th is also a nice touch.

Another thing I have noticed is it seems Reese usually replaces FA's-to-be with rookies. Jacobs for Wilson. Manningham for Randle. KMac for Brewer...etc.
    Yeah I do think we'll get a project player in the first 4 rounds somewhere. You had David Amerson in your mock and I could definitely see going there with the second pick. While we don't like shorter CBs, we've never really tried getting a larger one and this might be the year for that experiment. My only concern with Amerson is his liability in zone.

Would love for this mock to happen because Datone Jones and Alex Okafor are like 1a and 1b to me for the Giants. Logan Ryan is a slightly underrated CB prospect who I wouldn't mind and Brian Winters fits the Giants style of OL.

Disagree with you on Arthur Brown falling to the mid 3rd with his athleticism and since so many teams compare him to Lavonte David (who did really good for TB), I doubt he will be passed on 2 times by 30 teams. Braxston Cave is meh and there's a ton of late round OL prospects that looked better in the SB.

Bennie Logan is harder to project than I think people realize because he was expected to go in the 1st round in next year's draft and it's possible some team takes a flier on him in the 3rd. Who knows though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Would love for this mock to happen because Datone Jones and Alex Okafor are like 1a and 1b to me for the Giants. Logan Ryan is a slightly underrated CB prospect who I wouldn't mind and Brian Winters fits the Giants style of OL.

Disagree with you on Arthur Brown falling to the mid 3rd with his athleticism and since so many teams compare him to Lavonte David (who did really good for TB), I doubt he will be passed on 2 times by 30 teams. Braxston Cave is meh and there's a ton of late round OL prospects that looked better in the SB.

Bennie Logan is harder to project than I think people realize because he was expected to go in the 1st round in next year's draft and it's possible some team takes a flier on him in the 3rd. Who knows though.
    Could be ... admittedly I'm not as high on Brown as a lot of you guys are but I do see the value. Having watched a lot of tape on him I have a feeling a lot of other teams will come away feeling "good but not great" and that's why his stock falls. The Combine will be the determining factor of course.

Nice Catch on Bernie Logan and it's the prospect I was banking on ... I could see Reese even reaching into the 4th round for him (although I don't think he'll grab for him in the 3rd).

I agree about Brian Winters (and I believe there is an injured shoulder concern there as well) but I'm banking on the Giants getting an OG/OT prospect (flexibility being key here). Kind of like the Mosley pick in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Could be ... admittedly I'm not as high on Brown as a lot of you guys are but I do see the value. Having watched a lot of tape on him I have a feeling a lot of other teams will come away feeling "good but not great" and that's why his stock falls. The Combine will be the determining factor of course.

Nice Catch on Bernie Logan and it's the prospect I was banking on ... I could see Reese even reaching into the 4th round for him (although I don't think he'll grab for him in the 3rd).

I agree about Brian Winters (and I believe there is an injured shoulder concern there as well) but I'm banking on the Giants getting an OG/OT prospect (flexibility being key here). Kind of like the Mosley pick in 2012.
    I LOVE this draft... and I'm right there with you on Brown. I'm probably the most biased person IN FAVOR of him as you can find but I can also see him very possibly dropping into the 3rd (not necessarily all the way to our pick though). I love his athleticism but I've followed him a long time and personally have felt he has disappeared in games... and I'm talking games I watched ONLY to see him play. He's tough to gauge though because while I don't think he has the greatest film, he does have a lot of potential.

My first mock of the year for reference: http://boards.giants.com/showthread....-Bowl-Mock-1.0