+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First published mock ever.

First published mock ever.

Round 1, Pick 19 - Arthur Brown LB [Kansas State] - I'm beginning to think Brown is the overall best 4-3 LB in the draft. Althletic and Rangy; Will cover sideline to sideline without much effort. He plays the run adequately and doesn't get lost in coverage. 3 down backer who could play all three positions. Solid tackler and adequate block shedding skills. I consider Arthur Brown a very safe pick. To me, that is one of the most important factors in the 1st round. Hakeem Nicks-esque demeanor. Additionally, I think Alec Ogletree and Arthur Brown are similar prospects from a physical standpoint. I just see more in every other aspect from Brown.
    1st round alt - Johnathan Cooper G

Round 2, Pick 49 - David Amerson CB [NC State] - There are lots of questions about how good this draft is for defensive backs. Giants need to shore up their secondary and they're probably best served getting it done here. Amerson isn't the most polished corner in this draft, but he definitely fits their scheme. It doesn't hurt that he is the biggest corner in the draft. Good ball skills. I want to point out that Amerson was put here mainly because he is a scheme fit and fits the draft range. I was also kicking Logan Ryan, Xavier Rhodes and Desmond Trufant around but ultimately settled on Amerson because he hasn't moved on the big boards as much as the others and has been consistently pegged as a mid 2nd rounder.

Round 3, Pick 81 - Larry Warford G [Kentucky] - Finally the Giants address their aging offensive line and Warford becomes Reese's highest picked OL since William Beatty. This guard from Kentucky is big, and plays the same way. Dominates in the run game, plays to the whistle. Mean. Warford falls due to his lack of versatility. He doesn't move well enough to fit a zone blocking scheme. He's a throwback kind of lineman with really questionable pulling ability. Good value in 3rd, but he could go earlier

Round 4, Pick 113 - Jordan Hill DT [Penn State] - Consistent run defender. Underrated.

Round 5, Pick 145 - Michael Williams TE [Alabama] - Stole this from Enigma's mock. He fits the "Giant" mold for TE's.

Round 6, Pick 177 - Marcus Lattimore RB [South Carolina] Contrary to some opinions on this board I believe this guy is a sure thing 3rd day pick.

Round 7, Pick 209 - Dustin Hopkins PK [Florida State] - Thank you for your time Lawrence, you kicked some good ones.

I think right now this seems like a bold mock draft. Mainly because its hard to predict where Arthur Brown will go. He is currently rising and I predict he will solidify himself as a 1st round talent at the combine.

Let me have it!

1/29 additional thoughts
    Last edited by PBTimmons; 01-29-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

woah! sorry dude but you draft Aurhtur brown at 19 then follow that with amerson? I like your picks 4-7. tynes is gonna command a top dollar for a kicker, he can kick his *** on out of here.

Arthur Brown is one of those players who will be a 1st round talent on some boards that think they're getting a versatile LBer and others will just see him as a solid WLB that should be taken at day 2. I agree about him being a very safe pick and he can probably make contributions on day 1 but he's never popped out to me as a future superstar.

Amerson comes off as a feast/famine prospect at the position to me personally and I'm not a fan of those. Just a personal preference thing for guys who have more consistent coverage.

Warford could be the pick if the Giants wanted to slim him down to around 320 because you have to remember that the interior Oline never really rocks larger but more "immobile" men. I got him ranked #2 overall for G prospects myself but not sure he fits the Giants.

Like the Williams pick and I'm one of the few on board of moving on from Tynes if he wants to get too pricey. Plenty of teams have moved on to rookie kickers in this league before and they don't miss a beat. No reason we couldn't do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Arthur Brown is one of those players who will be a 1st round talent on some boards that think they're getting a versatile LBer and others will just see him as a solid WLB that should be taken at day 2. I agree about him being a very safe pick and he can probably make contributions on day 1 but he's never popped out to me as a future superstar.

Amerson comes off as a feast/famine prospect at the position to me personally and I'm not a fan of those. Just a personal preference thing for guys who have more consistent coverage.

Warford could be the pick if the Giants wanted to slim him down to around 320 because you have to remember that the interior Oline never really rocks larger but more "immobile" men. I got him ranked #2 overall for G prospects myself but not sure he fits the Giants.

Like the Williams pick and I'm one of the few on board of moving on from Tynes if he wants to get too pricey. Plenty of teams have moved on to rookie kickers in this league before and they don't miss a beat. No reason we couldn't do the same.
    Oh god, i'm with ya on Tynes.. I don't trust em and never have.. I'm more then willing to move on, and i think people will be happy we did, once they see what a kicker who actually has a chance from distance and dosen't just sneak half of his chippys in and occasionaly misses makable kicks as well.. I don't know what all the fuss is about Tynes, but its annoying.. His numbers are decieving in my opinion... I swear to god, i worry about him on Ex Pts as well , even though hes made just about all of em in his career.. I'm ready to move on from him..

I don't like guys who rise up draft boards after the football season is over.

Updated original post with some more thoughts.

I still don't feel right about not including a DE in this mock, but after the 3rd round I'd just be throwing darts. Maybe they are like DB's in this draft; go early or not at all. If they fly off the boards in the first I could more easily see Reese picking Tyler Eifert than a guy like Sam Montgomery.

I didn't post this thread to stroke my ego, but to offer an alternative and see what you guys think. I appreciate the constructive comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Whats your reasoning on Lattimore being a day 3 pick?

I'm not a fan of your first round pick (I think Arthur Brown could very well fall to the third round).

I like your second pick a lot.

The rest of your picks I've seen here and there in other mocks and are solid choices. I'm not a fan of drafting a Kicker though ... I think the Matt Dodge experiment will put us solidly into FA on the Kicker front.

Quote Originally Posted by teaneck View Post
    Whats your reasoning on Lattimore being a day 3 pick?
    Probably the fact that this draft blows for RBs.

I think that it is a lock that we come out of this draft with a DE in the first two rounds.

+ Reply to Thread