+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: NY Giants May Benefit By Investing In A New Kicker This Offseason

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    how much is tynes making per year? isn't it upwards of a few mil? if we could draft a kicker who can come on and be legit right away and save some money, I'd def consider that a viable option. especially since some of these rookie kickers this season have been amazing...baltimores kicker, washingtons kicker iirc, the rams kicker iirc (dont pay too much attn to kickers could have confused teams apologies if I did)....

    tynes has made a lot of clutch kicks for us, but i just flat dislike how from 50 on, hes not good. a kicker who can make 50 yd fgs regularly could have meant a win in philly and the postseason this yr but thats pretty irrational considering tynes scored a ton of points for us, who knows if a rookie fg kicker makes the ones tynes did...he was pretty money from like 45 on in...
    Think he made around 1.5mil in 2012? Considering how much stronger and developed these kickers are coming out of college now, it would be in the Giants best interest to not allow Tynes to get too pushy in these negotiations. We can make some decent cap space by just taking a 7th round or even UDFA rookie to replace what Tynes primarily does for this team - short to intermediate range FGs. Heck, we might actually not have to punt as much around the 50+ range either.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DownWitJPP View Post
    WOWW he's actually making a lot more than i thought he was...5 yrs 7 Mill see ya Tynes
    thats actually less than i was thinking. i thought he was making a couple mil per season...i dunno its a tough situation. tynes has been money and TC has respect for him obviously...and we all know how TC is more confident in experienced players...maybe the dodge experiment also weighs in on TC's thinking...id keep tynes at that price honestly.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Think he made around 1.5mil in 2012? Considering how much stronger and developed these kickers are coming out of college now, it would be in the Giants best interest to not allow Tynes to get too pushy in these negotiations. We can make some decent cap space by just taking a 7th round or even UDFA rookie to replace what Tynes primarily does for this team - short to intermediate range FGs. Heck, we might actually not have to punt as much around the 50+ range either.
    its def a tough situation. i see both sides of the coin as being logical...is it worth trading the security TC has when tynes kicks a 40 yd or less fg for a rookie kicker who may have some ups and downs, but has a better leg and shot at making 50 yd or more kicks...


    i know we often marginalize the kicker, but tynes has made some huge kicks. last seasn i was very happy with his accuracy as well. i dunno if he even missed from 40 in w/o it being a blocked kick...

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    its def a tough situation. i see both sides of the coin as being logical...is it worth trading the security TC has when tynes kicks a 40 yd or less fg for a rookie kicker who may have some ups and downs, but has a better leg and shot at making 50 yd or more kicks...


    i know we often marginalize the kicker, but tynes has made some huge kicks. last seasn i was very happy with his accuracy as well. i dunno if he even missed from 40 in w/o it being a blocked kick...
    Does that security really trump our other offseason issues like getting our franchise LT to come back to the team or finding a way to get Cruz to a longterm contract though? You have around 5 Kickers who could be taken in the 7th this year and they would come cheaper on that sort of contract versus another 4-5 years with Tynes. There also has to be the consideration of Tynes declining even further and losing even more leg strength which he lacks. Can't say I'd really weep at the departure for Tynes if the Giants went the rookie route.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Does that security really trump our other offseason issues like getting our franchise LT to come back to the team or finding a way to get Cruz to a longterm contract though? You have around 5 Kickers who could be taken in the 7th this year and they would come cheaper on that sort of contract versus another 4-5 years with Tynes. There also has to be the consideration of Tynes declining even further and losing even more leg strength which he lacks. Can't say I'd really weep at the departure for Tynes if the Giants went the rookie route.
    i tend to agree with u...just can see the other side.


    by the way, i asked u in another thread dunno if u saw, slightly off topic so either a short response or i guess PM me? What do u think of Mingo compared to ansah and jones? i rank it mingo, ansah, jones (and admittedly dont know half of what u know on rookie prospects)

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i tend to agree with u...just can see the other side.


    by the way, i asked u in another thread dunno if u saw, slightly off topic so either a short response or i guess PM me? What do u think of Mingo compared to ansah and jones? i rank it mingo, ansah, jones (and admittedly dont know half of what u know on rookie prospects)
    I'll have to check it out but I noticed Redeye replied to your question. Mingo really isn't a guy I'd want to put on the LoS majority of his snaps where he would be better playing as a stud SOLB who has better mobility than someone like Kiwi to not be a complete liability in coverage. Theoretically speaking, Mingo is someone you would put at RDE for obvious passing situations while you slot your Tuck type DE on the inside. So you would put Mingo at RDE, JPP at LDE, and Tuck at 3tech on 3rd and longs. Just how I see him in a 4-3.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
    Tynes got the yips last season.....
    Tynes got the yips??? You should check his percentages for last season. The biggest thing with Tynes is he can't really hit past 50. Every fan watching knew he had no shot whatsoever at the 54 yarder at the end of the Eagles game. Not his fault, he just doesnt have a big leg.

    David Akers may have got the "yips". Tynes did not.

  8. #18
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    37,474
    Maybe they should get an awful kicker so they actually try to score TDs in the redone instead of settling for 3 every time.

  9. #19
    Veteran DownWitJPP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Maybe they should get an awful kicker so they actually try to score TDs in the redone instead of settling for 3 every time.
    LOL i was thinking the same thing


    #80

    GET WELL SOON

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    I'm all for bringing in a kicker to compete with Tynes. But will the Giants do it?????
    Don't you think it's about time?
    I mean, no offense, we appreciate that he kicked us to 2 Super Bowls but how many more games does the old man have left in his right leg?
    Why wasn't he on the field in the first Eagles game with 24 seconds left and no timeouts?
    He couldn't kick a 42 yard field goal????
    Still can't figure that one out.
    That win would have put us in the playoffs.
    Is another year older going to make Coughlin even less confident?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts