+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: NFL Salaries by team and position

  1. #11
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,322
    Quote Originally Posted by jack28 View Post
    As someone who is relatively ignorant on cap issues, can somebody explain to me how it works when a player is cut? What money is still owed to the player?
    What ever is left of their bonus money.

  2. #12
    Bench Player
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    what is owed to the player and the cap hit are not the same thing.

    What is owed to a player is just the guaranteed portion of the contract, if for instance a player signs a 3 year deal worth $30 million, with $10 million per year, and $10 million guaranteed, then if they are cut after the first season, they are owed nothing. The $10 million that was guaranteed was paid in year 1. If he had $20 million guaranteed and was cut after year 1, the team would owe the player another $10 million on top of the $10 million he already made.

    How the salary cap works when a player is cut is different, because of the signing bonus. Signing bonus is a portion of money that is given up front to the player, and the cap hit from that signing bonus is distributed equally throughout the length of the players contract.

    For instance if a player gets a 3 year contract with a $9 mil signing bonus, the player gets that $9 mil up front, but for the cap, that $9 mil gets distributed to 3 years at $3 million per year.

    If the player is cut after year one, only $3 mil of that cap hit has cleared, there is a remaining $6 mil that is owed on the cap. That remaining $6 mil is accelerated to the year the player is released.

    Salary cap is made up of the signing bonus + the base salary + whatever other bonuses there are.

    I probably didnt explain it real well, its actually a pretty complicated ordeal.
    Thanks for explaining that slip! Is cutting a realistic option for Webster etc?

  3. #13
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    37,517
    Quote Originally Posted by jack28 View Post
    Thanks for explaining that slip! Is cutting a realistic option for Webster etc?
    We dont have the actual contract details for most of these players, what they restructured to and what other language is in their contract.

    As far as I can tell, the only players who have $5+ cap hits next season that are good candidates to release are Boley and Diehl.

    Some of the other ones like Rolle would cost the giants quite a bit of cap space to release, but if they instead wait it out, they have huge cap hits the following year. So they may have no choice.

  4. #14
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    100,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I mean they command the highest salaries on D.
    I was just busting your chops
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1








    # 80

  5. #15
    If signing bonuses are 100% paid upfront, technically no more money is owed to the player when he's cut from the team before the upcoming season's roster bonus options take into effect. Slip gave a good explanation of how signing bonuses affect the salary cap, which works a bit differently than what a player is actually being paid per year.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 01-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.

  6. #16
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    37,517
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    If signing bonuses are 100% paid upfront, technically no more money is owed to the player when he's cut from the team before the upcoming season's roster bonus options take into effect. Slip gave a good explanation of how signing bonuses affect the salary cap, which works a bit differently than what a player is actually being paid per year.
    Right, Canty, Webster, Rolle, Diehl, Boley. All those guys have no guaranteed money left. Any of them could be cut and the giants would not owe them any additional money.

    Problem is cutting any of them would give the giants a cap penalty.

    And cutting them with years left on their contract means all that signing bonus money gets accelerated.

    Thats why Boley, being in the last year of his contract, is a better cut, because there is no money to accelerate. Just the signing bonus he has hits the cap, while his entire base salary is eliminated from the cap.

  7. #17
    Veteran myles2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    4,554
    When you have the highest paid defense,but not even close to the best....there's not much someone could argue to justify that...

  8. #18
    Veteran myles2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Right, Canty, Webster, Rolle, Diehl, Boley. All those guys have no guaranteed money left. Any of them could be cut and the giants would not owe them any additional money.

    Problem is cutting any of them would give the giants a cap penalty.

    And cutting them with years left on their contract means all that signing bonus money gets accelerated.

    Thats why Boley, being in the last year of his contract, is a better cut, because there is no money to accelerate. Just the signing bonus he has hits the cap, while his entire base salary is eliminated from the cap.
    I'd say letting go of boley is a no brainer,save $ & easier replacement then canty/web.....is there anyone else offense or defense that we can let go free & clear, or even a small penalty compared to their salary?

  9. #19
    All-Pro Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alexandria, Va
    Posts
    10,525
    Some very difficult decisions for Reese and company. Don't know how creative they will be but is sure will be interesting to watch.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts