+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Royalty

NFL Royalty

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine on what teams are considered to be NFL Royalty and we had some very differing opinions. So I thought this would be a good topic to discuss with you guys since your team obviously has such a rich history.

What teams do you consider to hold the status of NFL Royalty? Doesn't have to be a certain amount of teams, just the franchises that you would consider Royalty.

Mine are as follows and in no particular order.

1. Green Bay
    2. Chicago
    3. New York Giants
    4. Washington
    5. Dallas
    6. San Francisco
    7. Indy
    8. Oakland
    9. Steelers

Boderline: New England, Miami, NYJ

1.New York Giants
    2. Dallas
    3. New England
    4. Steelers.
    5.San Francisco
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Bronx NYC ......... Justin Gilbert "bandwagoneer"
    As far as hype goes I don't see the Giants being top 5. Maybe if your just talking great franchises with history then yeah but...the teams that get treated by media, analysts and skeptics as royalty IMO are:

1. Patriots
    2. Packers
    3. Cowboys
    4. Steelers
    5. 49ers

Veteran
    Totally depends on the criteria...

If you're going historical significance then you're really limited to GB, Pittsburgh, and the Giants. But again, depending on what the actual criteria is, you could make a case for half the teams in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post

If you're going historical significance then you're really limited to GB, Pittsburgh, and the Giants. But again, depending on what the actual criteria is, you could make a case for half the teams in the NFL
    Well that's the thing; the criteria is entirely up to your discretion. But for me 'Royalty' means teams that have been influential in shaping the NFL as well as having a rich history and so on and so forth.

If you're royalty is limited to 3 teams then that's fine also.

But you're right you can make a case for a lot of teams.

Bronx NYC ......... Justin Gilbert "bandwagoneer"
    ^^^ I took "royalty" as meaning the most talked about and media darling's of the NFL. If you mean by influential in shaping the NFL, then I'd definitely change my list a bit.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    Well that's the thing; the criteria is entirely up to your discretion. But for me 'Royalty' means teams that have been influential in shaping the NFL as well as having a rich history and so on and so forth.

If you're royalty is limited to 3 teams then that's fine also.

But you're right you can make a case for a lot of teams.
    Well the 3 teams I listed were essentially going by the criteria of shaping what modern day spectator football is...So again, depending on the criteria I could make the case for almost anyone. Like titwio says, if we are going by "media darlings" Then I guess the Jets, Eagles, Cowboys, and Patriots are NFL royalty.

Most decorated as criteria? Then you have a whole new list.

Interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    I was having a discussion with a friend of mine on what teams are considered to be NFL Royalty and we had some very differing opinions. So I thought this would be a good topic to discuss with you guys since your team obviously has such a rich history.

What teams do you consider to hold the status of NFL Royalty? Doesn't have to be a certain amount of teams, just the franchises that you would consider Royalty.

Mine are as follows and in no particular order.

1. Green Bay
    2. Chicago
    3. New York Giants
    4. Washington
    5. Dallas
    6. San Francisco
    7. Indy
    8. Oakland
    9. Steelers

Boderline: New England, Miami, NYJ

I like your list as is but would replace Indy with Minnesota. More history in Minny and I don't consider Indy a descendant of the Baltimore Colts.

I pretty much agree with your list Ntegrase96. I might trim Indy and Oakland if we need to make room on the bus.

My criteria would add in extended periods of excellence under different regimes to weed out teams that have only one era of success. Or if you took away the biggest era of glory is there anything else left.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 02-01-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post

Pittsburgh has been playing since 1933 and from 1933-1972 (40 years) they didn't even make the playoffs one single time. All their glory (granted it is a lot) is in the 70s and 2000s.

Also the Browns were very historically significant in the Jim Brown era, they won 4 NFL championship and 4 championships in their old league the AAFC, which also gave us the 49ers. They were juggernauts.

Also any talk of historical significance has to include the Bears. They haven't done much in the Super Bowl era but before that the top 3 teams were Green Bay, Chicago, and NYG. When you look back at the championship matchups those are the 3 names you will see over and over.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 02-01-2013 at 06:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread