+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Salary cap ramifications of cutting players

Bench Player
    How about Canty?

Quote Originally Posted by evojutsu View Post
    Diehl, Boley, Webster all must restructure- or we cut them. Diehl should be making 1-2 million, seriously his play has really declined. Boley could be cut but we have no one else, i say his contract should be 1-2 million. Webster restructure to 1-2million. If we restructure well, that money we save should be used to sign Victor Cruz- we can free up to 10+ million in cap with proper restructuring or cutting these players.
    Restructuring is different from re-doing/re-negotiating.

Diehl, Boley, Webster all must restructure- or we cut them.
    As I said, you can not restructure players with 1 year left on their deals.

Restructuring is converting base salary to a signing bonus to spread the cap hit through the entirety of the contract. Have no where to spread the cap hit with players who have only 1 year remaining.

Now they could ask them to take a pay cut.

How about Canty?
    Knew I forgot someone.

Lets see here.

Keeping this season = 8.2 mil
    Keeping next season = 8.4 mil
    Releasing this season = Savings of 4.2 mil
    Releasing after next season = Savings of 6.4 mil
    Dead money releasing this season = 4 mil
    Dead money releasing after next season = 2 mil

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Now they could ask them to take a pay cut.
    Which is something players won't do 99% of the time. They have to be pretty certain that they'll be cut (and know that cutting them won't create a lot of dead money, either) before agreeing to a lower salary.

The only thing in that article that makes any sense is Boley being a casualty. Webster won't be getting cut. Even though he makes more money than his production this past season, we do not have a replacement for him. Eli isn't going to be asked to take a pay cut, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    The only thing in that article that makes any sense is Boley being a casualty. Webster won't be getting cut. Even though he makes more money than his production this past season, we do not have a replacement for him. Eli isn't going to be asked to take a pay cut, either.
    the only people with real answers are unfortunately the FO,,anything on here is purely speculation,,who knows who comes or goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Eli isn't going to be asked to take a pay cut, either.
    Eli's contract is going to be fairly crippling for the team. Well over 20 million in cap room the next 3 seasons.

And they cant keep restructuring him or that money keeps back loading the contract.

I dont know what they plan on doing with him, but if they expect he plays another 5+ years, they might want to resign/extend him. Could give him additional years while giving him more actual money, but lower the cap hit.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Eli's contract is going to be fairly crippling for the team. Well over 20 million in cap room the next 3 seasons.

And they cant keep restructuring him or that money keeps back loading the contract.

I dont know what they plan on doing with him, but if they expect he plays another 5+ years, they might want to resign/extend him. Could give him additional years while giving him more actual money, but lower the cap hit.
    The restructure he did last year really hurt his cap number for the next few years. However, I don't think that the FO is going to ask Eli to take a straight pay cut anytime soon. I'm sure they'll try and find some way to lower his cap number, though.

The FO is going to have to be very judicious with contracts over the next few years.

+ Reply to Thread