+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Salary cap ramifications of cutting players

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    The FO is going to have to be very judicious with contracts over the next few years.
    Not really. Almost all the big contracts on the team are going to be ending after this season or next.

Any young players who get contracts can simply backload deals like they usually do and the giants should be in good shape.

This year is going to be difficult, but it should get substantially easier going forward. Apart from Eli's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Oh and Carr too
    Pennies to be saved, if that, on Carr.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Thanks Slip for the useful information.
    Everyone you listed needs to be either restructured or released with the possible exception of Baas this year (no savings).
    So there really is alot of room for us inside the cap.
    JR has the easiest job in the world, lol.
    All kidding aside, those contracts do provide us a good opportunity to free up some space to make moves on the OL, DL and LB.
    No one remembers who came in second.

If that doesnt send a shock wave I dont know what does. Those guys could save us a boat load of money and Im sure we could replace them for like a fifth of what we would save. You can not tell me that all those 2013 guys should go. Every 2014 guy should restructure for sure. Why does it always seem like we are the only decent/good team that gives the worst contracts. You dont see the steelers or patriots have these issues

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Thanks Slip for the useful information.
    Everyone you listed needs to be either restructured or released with the possible exception of Baas this year (no savings).
    So there really is alot of room for us inside the cap.
    JR has the easiest job in the world, lol.
    All kidding aside, those contracts do provide us a good opportunity to free up some space to make moves on the OL, DL and LB.
    Could not agree more, he has all the ability in the world to cut fat and not screw the team over. We arent talking heart and sould. Rolle I say keep but everyone else mostly can go without losing production. If anything we need changes. I dont get this FO, Fewell has ranked 27 and 31 last two years, how are he and these same players still here...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluetribe View Post
    If that doesnt send a shock wave I dont know what does. Those guys could save us a boat load of money and Im sure we could replace them for like a fifth of what we would save. You can not tell me that all those 2013 guys should go. Every 2014 guy should restructure for sure. Why does it always seem like we are the only decent/good team that gives the worst contracts. You dont see the steelers or patriots have these issues
    Every team that keeps its players around has these issues. Also every team that spends on FAs has these issues.

Veteran
    How is Webster making 11? His cap hit for next year is listed at 9.4 mill?

Quote Originally Posted by drewz View Post
    How is Webster making 11? His cap hit for next year is listed at 9.4 mill?
    He restructured in 2011, supposedly. His base salary that year should have been 8, but it was 5 instead.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41867550,d.dmQ

It might be that his cap hit is 9.9 million instead of 11.
    In which case releasing him would save approx 8 mil.
    And dead money of about 2 mil.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 01-31-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    As I said, you can not restructure players with 1 year left on their deals.

Restructuring is converting base salary to a signing bonus to spread the cap hit through the entirety of the contract. Have no where to spread the cap hit with players who have only 1 year remaining.

Now they could ask them to take a pay cut.
    The CBA allows for them to re sign to a longer contract in effect giving room to restructure though right? Sort of obvious but how exactly does that effect dead money?

Those signing bonuses are due no matter what right? Just a hypothetical if Carr had 1M in dead money and 1M in salary due this upcoming season being his last year. they can void his old contract and sign him to a new deal for 2 years @ 2M a year with no signing bonus, keeping the same overall salary for the coming year and the one to follow but what would happen to that 1mil signing bonus that was part of his previous contact?

The way I understand it there is no way out of that 1M right? Even if he takes a pay cut and keeps it at the first, shorter contract term all they can cut is the 1M salary? I think this is right but you are more an authority that I am.

Honestly, unless Webster bounces back a lot next year, I'd almost trust Hosley starting across from Prince than Webster... get a few draftees for depth and we'd be set. Wouldn't be the prettiest secondary ever, but it would work, and that alone would free up the money to sign Cruz and maybe even another FA...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

+ Reply to Thread