+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Salary cap ramifications of cutting players

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Not sure but part of it can be contractual.

For instance the Eagles didn't cut Vick, which means he gets his $3 mill roster bonus. However the roster bonus is a collective agreement, meaning that if he goes to another team and gets more than $3 mill, then the Eagles are off the hook for it.

Not exactly the same thing but you get the idea. I've heard both ways on signing bonuses ... cap hit prorated over two years after cut and over the original life of the contract. I haven't been able to confirm either way.
    Well I don't think it would be contractual because it doesn't really concern the player at all. Just how the team handles the salary cap. I think they get to make the decision when releasing a player how they want that signing bonus handled.

But for now, I'm just going to assume that all future signing bonus prorates and hits the season the player is released. Won't be always right, but it should be pretty accurate for our needs

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Well I don't think it would be contractual because it doesn't really concern the player at all. Just how the team handles the salary cap. I think they get to make the decision when releasing a player how they want that signing bonus handled.

But for now, I'm just going to assume that all future signing bonus prorates and hits the season the player is released. Won't be always right, but it should be pretty accurate for our needs
    http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Point # 1.7e

If that's correct, then the remaining signing bonus that was prorated is counted against the cap the year the player is cut.

However, I have heard of instances where this number is spread out farther and I believe THAT is contractual (i.e. what's in the particular contract details).

Veteran
    retirement home in Dallas (my son married a Texas gal. Woe is me)
    Bye Bye Bradshaw, Boley, Diehl, Tuck, and Webster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Point # 1.7e

If that's correct, then the remaining signing bonus that was prorated is counted against the cap the year the player is cut.

However, I have heard of instances where this number is spread out farther and I believe THAT is contractual (i.e. what's in the particular contract details).
    Right. That is exactly the part I am unsure of with how it is handled. To keep it simple it's easier to just accelerate all the signing bonus money to the season the player is cut.

Doing it this way had the added benefit that all of a players cap hit will be completely off the sheets for the following season.

+ Reply to Thread