+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Salary cap ramifications of cutting players

Webster should pay us to be on the team.

We should get Sintim back and convert to a 3-4. Sintim could be our Von Miller.

#PostsThatWouldInfuriateSlip

Turns out I screwed up ALL of this years savings for everyone with more than one year left.

I added both signing bonuses in for this year and next. When in reality they are paying this years signing bonus either way. So I should have just done base minus one years signing bonus.

Plus as Garafolo noted, teams could defer the payment on signing bonuses. They don't have to hit all the current year, the teams can spread them out

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

Plus as Garafolo noted, teams could defer the payment on signing bonuses. They don't have to hit all the current year, the teams can spread them out
    I'll be the bigger man and won't take you to "I Told You So" land.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I'll be the bigger man and won't take you to "I Told You So" land.
    If you are talking about the team actually paying the player then no. It's all up front. I'm just talking about the signing bonus for the salary cap.

If you are talking about the team actually paying the player then no. It's all up front. I'm just talking about the signing bonus for the salary cap.
    Yeah I was talking about cap hit. I could care less when the player actually gets the money

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Yeah I was talking about cap hit. I could care less when the player actually gets the money
    Yea. I had always heard they could possibly do this just didn't get it confirmed. I'm still not sure how it works. If they can just defer it back to the original contract length.

For instance cut a guy with a 5 year contract in his second year could they defer it for the remaining 3 years? Or only for 2 of it?

Slip, I saw your convo with Mike G on twitter. You thinking about updating your original post with your recent enlightenment? It could help all of us GM Lay-people.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    Slip, I saw your convo with Mike G on twitter. You thinking about updating your original post with your recent enlightenment? It could help all of us GM Lay-people.
    I will. It's just a pain to do it on my phone while I'm at work.

Yea. I had always heard they could possibly do this just didn't get it confirmed. I'm still not sure how it works. If they can just defer it back to the original contract length.

For instance cut a guy with a 5 year contract in his second year could they defer it for the remaining 3 years? Or only for 2 of it?
    Not sure but part of it can be contractual.

For instance the Eagles didn't cut Vick, which means he gets his $3 mill roster bonus. However the roster bonus is a collective agreement, meaning that if he goes to another team and gets more than $3 mill, then the Eagles are off the hook for it.

Not exactly the same thing but you get the idea. I've heard both ways on signing bonuses ... cap hit prorated over two years after cut and over the original life of the contract. I haven't been able to confirm either way.

+ Reply to Thread