+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Imagine if we had 2 shutdown corners on both sides

You could always hope to get one in the draft!

All-Pro
    2 shut-down corners without decent linebackers would just lead to a lot of underneath passes to the TE and third receiver along with a healthy dose of run plays.... pretty much what happens now against this defense.I would prefer to have 3 good corners and 3 good LBs than 2 great corners with below average LBs.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    2 shut-down corners without decent linebackers would just lead to a lot of underneath passes to the TE and third receiver along with a healthy dose of run plays.... pretty much what happens now against this defense.I would prefer to have 3 good corners and 3 good LBs than 2 great corners with below average LBs.
    But two shut down corners also don't need a lot of help so you can use that help for the middle.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    But two shut down corners also don't need a lot of help so you can use that help for the middle.
    That is what the Eagles thought with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha... In theory, it sounds great, but the reality is that teams will attack your weakest area and do their best to negate your strength. You also run the risk of putting all of your money, and scheme, into a few players. What happens if one of those gets injured. Now your back to one great CB and still have lousy LBs... only now your safeties aren't able to come up and help.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

The best pass defense is a ferocious pass rush.
    No one remembers who came in second.

That is what the Eagles thought with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha... In theory, it sounds great, but the reality is that teams will attack your weakest area and do their best to negate your strength. You also run the risk of putting all of your money, and scheme, into a few players. What happens if one of those gets injured. Now your back to one great CB and still have lousy LBs... only now your safeties aren't able to come up and help.
    Turns out, the eagles weakest area is in fact Nnamdi and Cromartie. Oops

No offensive or defensive scheme works without strngth in the trenches, plain and simple. CB's are like WR's in that you don't build a team around them.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Look, in life, there are different scenereos. You said if we have two shut down cbs, then the other teams will target our weakness. I wonder why you think that just cause you have two shut down cbs that our whole defense will be weak all of the time? This is real life and you have to look at football that way. Don't forget you can find late gems in the late rounds. Life is in real time and you think that just cause we have two shut down guys, they will be making big money right away? Cruz the wr was not making a lot of money in 011 and 012 so that gets rid of your theory. Yet you could be right though cause what you have said is one of the things that could happen in life.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Look, in life, there are different scenereos. You said if we have two shut down cbs, then the other teams will target our weakness. I wonder why you think that just cause you have two shut down cbs that our whole defense will be weak all of the time? This is real life and you have to look at football that way. Don't forget you can find late gems in the late rounds. Life is in real time and you think that just cause we have two shut down guys, they will be making big money right away? Cruz the wr was not making a lot of money in 011 and 012 so that gets rid of your theory. Yet you could be right though cause what you have said is one of the things that could happen in life.
    My assumption was that this thread was suggesting going out and signing a high priced FA corner. When you use a large part of your cap space for one guy that means you can't use it somewhere else. Always look at all the possibilities and the opportunity cost associated with each. When I look at the possibility of signing 2 shutdown corners, I see a cost that doesn't bring enough return. The cost isn't just the salary associated with that player, but the inability to sign other players in key areas that are far more concerning than the secondary. For example the O-line with 3 of the better linemen looking to get new contracts and an LB corp that is easily the weakest unit on that defense.

The draft is a crap shoot, you can't base your entire defensive philosophy on the off-chance that you will get lucky enough to find a gem like that. It would be awesome if they do, but players like Cruz don't come around very often without being noticed by at least one of the other 32 teams that are also looking for that gem. But, if it should happen... I absolutely approve of getting a shut down corner in the later rounds of the draft! While they are at it, they should also grab a stud MLB...

Imagine if we had a pass rush? It would make life much easier in case you don't have 2 shutdown CBs.

+ Reply to Thread