+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Nothing to do with confusion. Webster had brutally bad technique on that play, like he does on a lot of the plays he gives up.

It just amuses me that people blame Fewell no matter what, first its webster is great when he can press.... So they let him press here and he gets beat for a 73 yard TD. Now its webster cant be one on one with anyone without a safety.

So why even play him then? He makes 9 mil a year and cant cover anyone?
    Without salary consideration, looking strictly at the match up, would you put Webby one on one against Nelson? Would you have put him in press coverage knowing that if the pressure didn't get there fast enough that Nelson could potentially beat that press and go deep, and not had a safety over the top? I think we can all agree that Webster didn't have a very good year and Nelson is a going to beat single coverage more often than not, regardless of who is covering him. Yet someone decided he was good enough... or as I said before, a safety missed their assignment, which also happened over and over this past year.

I guess you can look at it two different ways, if you believe coaches are just there as spectators and have no impact on the game because players should just execute, then it's Websters fault. If you believe coaches actually have a purpose, and the schemes/play calling matters, then you see that this play was the perfect defense to give up a huge play to the Packers offense... because believe it or not, they too are paid to perform. Put Nicks or Cruz in that same situation against just about any DB in the league and your almost guaranteed the same result.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Without salary consideration, looking strictly at the match up, would you put Webby one on one against Nelson?
    Absolutely. All corners have to be able to do that if they are a starting outside corner. Cant give everyone help.

And there is no safety that missed their assignment, I watched the play on all-22 film.

Its just horrible technique by webster, and this is basic stuff. In press man when a receiver pulls up, you dont get in front of him until the ball is on its way, all he had to do was stay behind nelson and that play never would have happened.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 02-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.

All-Pro
    Absolutely. All corners have to be able to do that if they are a starting outside corner. Cant give everyone help.
    Then your results would have been the same... I would have looked for something that actually worked.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Then your results would have been the same... I would have looked for something that actually worked.
    Unless they had a CB who actually played proper technique, then it wouldnt have.

Thats the thing with webster, he shows all the ability to shut down guys but just completely forgets his technique once in awhile.

I just dont understand how people expect the giants to give help to every player on the defense.... Thats not possible.

Unless they had a CB who actually played proper technique, then it wouldnt have.

Thats the thing with webster, he shows all the ability to shut down guys but just completely forgets his technique once in awhile.

I just dont understand how people expect the giants to give help to every player on the defense.... Thats not possible.
    You are right about that. There gots to be one on one battles on every play depending on the type of play that is called by the offense.

All-Pro

And there is no safety that missed their assignment, I watched the play on all-22 film.

Its just horrible technique by webster, and this is basic stuff. In press man when a receiver pulls up, you dont get in front of him until the ball is on its way, all he had to do was stay behind nelson and that play never would have happened.
    You added to your reply...

I agree that Web messed up on the play and am not arguing that he got beat plain and simple. Eli takes those shots to Nicks and Cruz anytime either one of them gets a one on one matchup. I would bet that when it works you praise Eli and the receiver and when it doesn't you blame Eli and the receiver. I doubt you ever say that the DB messed up.

You added to your reply...

I agree that Web messed up on the play and am not arguing that he got beat plain and simple. Eli takes those shots to Nicks and Cruz anytime either one of them gets a one on one matchup. I would bet that when it works you praise Eli and the receiver and when it doesn't you blame Eli and the receiver. I doubt you ever say that the DB messed up.
    Depends on what goes on in the play.

In this case, Nelson just did a double move, he didnt have to make some leaping catch over the defender, nor did Rodgers have to make a perfect throw.

Nothing particularly special about what Nelson did.

Brutal technique by the DB is what caused this.

Had webster played it correctly, and Nelson made some jumping catch over him then I wouldnt fault webster at all.

Just like I dont bash webster for the ravens game, those were perfect throws and great plays by Torrey Smith.

In this case, Nelson just did a double move, he didnt have to make some leaping catch over the defender, nor did Rodgers have to make a perfect throw.

Had webster played it correctly, and Nelson made some jumping catch over him then I wouldnt fault webster at all.

Just like I dont bash webster for the ravens game, those were perfect throws and great plays by Torrey Smith.
    this is dead on gospel

All-Pro

I don't disagree with you... my point is that this happened quite often throughout the season. In this case he was on an island against a highly explosive player, and pretty much anyone in the stadium knew that wasn't going to work out well. Webster 2011 probably makes that play, Webster 2012 failed to make that play more often than not. I don't care what his salary is, nor should the coaches. They should have known what most fans already knew, Webster wasn't playing well enough to make that play, or many like it all year. Yes you can't criticize Webster for playing poorly, and you would be right. You can also criticize the coaches for continuing to do the same things and getting the same results which led to one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

If the coaches start asking Eli to scramble like RGIII and he can't do it, is that Eli's fault or the coaches? If the coaches allow an injured Nicks to continue to play even when it is clear he can't perform, is that the coaches fault or the players? The player is always going to try to play, the coaches need to determine if that player is capable of giving them the best chance to win. Coaching decisions and plays called do have an impact on player performance, and the teams performance as a whole.

The coaches cant insulate webster and give him help all season, its just not possible to do that with an outside corner. About all they could do is give him some help deep middle on most plays.

To be a starting NFL CB you HAVE to be able to win one on one battles against top WRs. Nelson was really GBs #3 receiver. Yes hes good, but its not like he was the one guy the giants had to go into the game worried about.

They left prince alone on Jones for a lot of that game as well, as they paid more attention to Cobb.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 02-03-2013 at 01:01 PM.