+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 174

Thread: more mobile QB the wave of the future ,Giants must seek next

  1. #81
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    41,976
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    Agree.
    I respect what Harooni is trying to get across but I don't agree with his last statement. We are not going to be stuck in stone age if we don't get into the program with a " hybrid " QB.
    I'll second that. What these guys have shown is that being strictly a pocket passer isn't the only way to win. It didn't show that the days of the pocket passer are numbered.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #82
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    57,885
    there is no such thing as pocket passer or running qb. thats all made up by fans labeling things. all qb's throw more than they rush , even Vick.

    What we have is a new generation that can do both.

    if you guys label Kap as a running QB you are doing a great deservice to his throwing ability's. and yes "running qbs" throw from the pocket also.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

  3. #83
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,103
    These "hybrid QBs" are just movable because they have that athleticism to move around the pocket and their o-line allows them to.

    I think we are comparing all of these QBs to Eli Manning and not realizing that Eli is a pocket passer who stands around a lot. His movement outside of the pocket isn't as good as others because of athletic abilities to run IMO.

    When Eli runs, it looks like that slow poke that needs a head start. When Flacco heads out of the pocket, looks like a speedster.

  4. #84
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    10,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    guys like ben and flacco also have designed running plays and options to run. now some may do more or less than say an RG3 or Kap but thats not the point. the point is the future is guys that can do both. even if Flacco doesnt use it in any particular game the capability is there. And as a young QB gets better passing and ages a bit he will most likely pass more and i expect RG3 to do the same.

    Now you can either fold your arms and be stubborn or embrace the fact that the future is the double threat.
    It's not really about being stubborn, I just think most NFL fans would rather have a Brady who can't run worth of #### than RG3, and rightfully so.

  5. #85
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    41,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    there is no such thing as pocket passer or running qb. thats all made up by fans labeling things. all qb's throw more than they rush , even Vick.

    What we have is a new generation that can do both.

    if you guys label Kap as a running QB you are doing a great deservice to his throwing ability's. and yes "running qbs" throw from the pocket also.
    Well I agree but its misguided (IMO) to suggest that you will have to do both in the future. Pocket passers are not going to be obsolete anytime soon.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #86
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well I agree but its misguided (IMO) to suggest that you will have to do both in the future. Pocket passers are not going to be obsolete anytime soon.
    No, and that's because we have the offensive line still.

  7. #87
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    57,885
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    But Flacco isn't a double threat haha. You're my bro Harooni but he would need to be more consistent on his 201 attempts to qualify for the group. He has had two really nice deep runs but would you say that Eli is a physical runner because he shoulder plowed that one Packers defender this year?
    when the pocket breaks down and the middle is all clear guys like brady and eli can pick up 6 yards or so. but guys like big ben and flacco can get you that big 13yard first down.

    more mobile is the future, as i said guys that can do both. might not always flex it but the ability is there.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

  8. #88
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    57,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well I agree but its misguided (IMO) to suggest that you will have to do both in the future. Pocket passers are not going to be obsolete anytime soon.
    sorry more, but i think that door is closing fast on these slow club footed QB's , these kids are coming out more and more athletic.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

  9. #89
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    sorry more, but i think that door is closing fast on these slow club footed QB's , these kids are coming out more and more athletic.
    It's all of those drugs man. I really do agree though. All these QBs are getting better in all facets of the game. I know some old-timers around here want to deny it as much as possible just like they've denied the use of all this wonderful technology that we've gotten.

    It's not the way to go, we have to move on from the past and to something better. One day the Giants will have their own mobile QB.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    when the pocket breaks down and the middle is all clear guys like brady and eli can pick up 6 yards or so. but guys like big ben and flacco can get you that big 13yard first down.

    more mobile is the future, as i said guys that can do both. might not always flex it but the ability is there.
    Do defenses account for Flacco's mobility though? Is there a possible spy to keep an eye on Flacco in the event he escapes the pocket? Is the defensive coordinator afraid to play man coverage because he's afraid Flacco will burn them on the sideline with his legs? These are common themes you see against dual threat QBs and I've never seen Flacco face that sort of defense.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts