+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 174

Thread: more mobile QB the wave of the future ,Giants must seek next

  1. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    The Redskins went 10-6 and made the playoffs.
    Sorry, I wrote down the Panthers record twice. How did RG3 and his leg do in the playoffs? How did he injure that leg again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    horrible points trueblue, the question isnt that the QB should run more, its that he is faster and more mobile. flacco and big ben are that hybrid type they can do both.
    This "hybrid" thing is meaningless. You're basically getting closer and closer to making the distinction "good" QBs and "not." Eli was able to make game-changing plays with his mobility, especially in his first SB year. But he's not some new-wave 1A. pass 1B. run kind of quarterback. Neither is Ben or Rodgers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Aaron Rodgers ran for 356 in 2010.
    Steve Young ran for 293 in 1994.
    Which pales in comparison to the numbers folks like RG3, Cam, R. Wilson and Kaep put up. So ... yup!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    And Kaepernick didn't lose because he ran the ball. He lost because he couldn't manage the clock and his defense stunk yesterday.
    Didn't say that, but we're talking about "more mobile" QBs being the future and, based on everything we've seen up to now, no evidence is saying that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Referring to Ben and Flacco as "hybrids" is way off the mark. They are just pocket passers (Ben to a far greater extent) who can extend plays with mobility.
    I wouldn't say that Aaron Rodgers is a "hybrid" QB.
    Exactly.

  2. #132
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,389
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue10 View Post
    Sorry, I wrote down the Panthers record twice. How did RG3 and his leg do in the playoffs? How did he injure that leg again?



    This "hybrid" thing is meaningless. You're basically getting closer and closer to making the distinction "good" QBs and "not." Eli was able to make game-changing plays with his mobility, especially in his first SB year. But he's not some new-wave 1A. pass 1B. run kind of quarterback. Neither is Ben or Rodgers.



    Which pales in comparison to the numbers folks like RG3, Cam, R. Wilson and Kaep put up. So ... yup!



    Didn't say that, but we're talking about "more mobile" QBs being the future and, based on everything we've seen up to now, no evidence is saying that.



    Exactly.
    I'm sorry, I wasn't responding to you directly in any of my posts so I'm not sure what you said or didn't say. I was just going along with the general conversation.
    I suppose my ultimate point here is that while I agree that more and more QB's who have the kind of running skills as Kaepernick and Wilson will be coming to the NFL, they will only succeed if they have great passing skills as well. If they do they will be very hard to defend and will do their share of winning, including SB's. No reason to believe otherwise.
    But its a passing league and you have to be able to drop back in the pocket and throw the ball effectively downfield to win in this league. Kaepernick and Wilson seem to be two guys who can do that. I'm not convinced that RGIII can.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #133
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    Days of collins and bledsoe are over , lead footed golems are not going to win anymore.

    move in the athletic QB that can do both.
    What shocks me is the speed at which this change was made.

    A year ago, a QB who is basically a pocket passer with some mobility but couldn't win a foot race against a tree won the SB (and got the MVP)

    Yesterday, a QB who is basically a pocket passer with some mobility wins the SB (and gets MVP).

    I have to admit that watching Flacco play, I wasn't even sure that it was the same game that Manning plays--the way that they both dropped back into the pocket and ran the office from there, occasionally moving when under pressure.

    It was revolutionary, really.
    This space for rent

  4. #134
    We've had mobile QBs forever. There is a lot of hoopla now just because it sells papers. Elway, Hostetler, Cunningham, Steve Young, Rodney Peete. So we have 4 QBs in the league that can run and throw....out of 32? Defenses need to gameplan for this breed, but it will not change who wins Super Bowls. Ultimately it will come down to a good offense, good quarterback, and good defense...and 3 years out of 4, I guarantee it will not be a mobile quarterback running the latest "pistol offense" at the big dance.

  5. #135
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,389
    Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    We've had mobile QBs forever. There is a lot of hoopla now just because it sells papers. Elway, Hostetler, Cunningham, Steve Young, Rodney Peete. So we have 4 QBs in the league that can run and throw....out of 32? Defenses need to gameplan for this breed, but it will not change who wins Super Bowls. Ultimately it will come down to a good offense, good quarterback, and good defense...and 3 years out of 4, I guarantee it will not be a mobile quarterback running the latest "pistol offense" at the big dance.
    Well since less than 25% of teams run that type of offense, you seem to be saying that teams with running QB's actually have a comparitively better chance of winning the SB than teams with pure pocket passers.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,130
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I remember them saying the same about Mark Sanchez. That he was the "alpha male" factor. He has "IT".
    It is obvious that whoever claimed that about Sanchize was wrong and EA was spot on right with analysis of Eli Manning.

  7. #137
    All-Pro GameTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    No mans land
    Posts
    25,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    its obvious the hybrid guys who are a true double threat like RG3,Kapernick Big ben, Flacco . these guys are not scramblers but true hybrid beings using todays modern technology to win Superbowls.

    we can't get stuck in a stone aged old fashion one way to skin a cat thinking process.
    Flacco????
    Ben????
    Eli moves in the pocket enough to extend plays like Flacco and Ben for sure. Why is having a QB like Eli being stuck in the stone age??
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

  8. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Well since less than 25% of teams run that type of offense, you seem to be saying that teams with running QB's actually have a comparitively better chance of winning the SB than teams with pure pocket passers.
    Well looking at how many of these QBs are entering the league within the past 2 years, the trend shows that more teams will opt for this type of QB. It'll even out, but my point is the statistics will eventually normalize to what we've had over the last 40+ years. Running and passing are nothing new...we haven't discovered the world wide web here.

  9. #139
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    43,389
    Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    Well looking at how many of these QBs are entering the league within the past 2 years, the trend shows that more teams will opt for this type of QB. It'll even out, but my point is the statistics will eventually normalize to what we've had over the last 40+ years. Running and passing are nothing new...we haven't discovered the world wide web here.
    There have been a few great QB's who can run. Steve Young for one and he won a SB. the other was Randall Cunningham who deserves to be in the HOF. That kid was great.
    But we are starting to see more guys who are outstanding pocket passers as well as great runners. The QB position is simply going to have more and more athletic guys.
    But most of the old running type QB's couldn't throw the ball like Kaepernick or Wilson. And that's the real story.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

  10. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    It is obvious that whoever claimed that about Sanchize was wrong and EA was spot on right with analysis of Eli Manning.
    Yeah but Eli isn't on Rex's arm ..

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts