+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 174

Thread: more mobile QB the wave of the future ,Giants must seek next

  1. #51
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    103,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    It WAS the pocket passer who won the SB.
    +1
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

  2. #52

  3. #53
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    +1
    As I said before, what this season has demonstrated is that you can now win with a running style QB, but the pocket style passer is still the predominant method.
    Its hardly the wave of the future. But it is a legitimate way to run an offense. (with the right guy) And by the right guy, I mean a guy who can throw the ball effectively from the pocket.
    Get well soon 80.

  4. #54
    All-Pro CDN_G-FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,675
    Meh.

    who would we consider the 'mobile' QBs in nfl right now? Vick, cam, kap, rgIII, jackson. am i missing anyone?

    Vick is damanged goods, both mentally and physicall.

    cam is good, but far from great.

    Kap looks great, but so did cam and vick early on.

    RGIII is great right now, but already had a knee injury after his rookie season to recover from.

    Jackson looks very good but its his first season as well.

    there's definitely more of them coming out into the league, but i question if that style of play is realistic in the modern NFL.

    i mean, its hard enough keeping a pocket passing QB healthy, i don't know if you can both run the ball great and throw the ball great, keep a 2 to 1 ratio pass/rush production, and stay healthy.

    and we'll see if the league changes rules to encourage this kind of QB play or not.

    but for the time being, it think the jury is out about how effective this style of play will be long term.

  5. #55
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30,803
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    Meh.

    who would we consider the 'mobile' QBs in nfl right now? Vick, cam, kap, rgIII, jackson. am i missing anyone?

    Vick is damanged goods, both mentally and physicall.

    cam is good, but far from great.

    Kap looks great, but so did cam and vick early on.

    RGIII is great right now, but already had a knee injury after his rookie season to recover from.

    Jackson looks very good but its his first season as well.

    there's definitely more of them coming out into the league, but i question if that style of play is realistic in the modern NFL.

    i mean, its hard enough keeping a pocket passing QB healthy, i don't know if you can both run the ball great and throw the ball great, keep a 2 to 1 ratio pass/rush production, and stay healthy.

    and we'll see if the league changes rules to encourage this kind of QB play or not.

    but for the time being, it think the jury is out about how effective this style of play will be long term.
    Agreed. Another good example as to why these "hybrid" qbs arent the future was the throw from Flacco to Jones. Once the pocket started collapsing, Flacco moved forward to escape the pressure, kept his eyes glued down field and hit Jones for a huge play and the td. A mobile QB usually scramble at the first sign of the pocket collapsing. Not something you always want in a QB.

    Thomas Richard Coughlin is a saint!

  6. #56
    Bench Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBookOfEli View Post
    That style nearly won the 9ers a Superbowl. I wouldn't mind looking into a QB of that stature in the next 4-5 years to replace Eli down the road.
    You show me ONE of these so called double threats who have won a SuperBowl and I'll give it a second thought, until the day that happens get real.
    Long term: LUCK >>>>>>>>> all double threat QB's

  7. #57
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    its obvious the hybrid guys who are a true double threat like RG3,Kapernick Big ben, Flacco . these guys are not scramblers but true hybrid beings using todays modern technology to win Superbowls.

    we can't get stuck in a stone aged old fashion one way to skin a cat thinking process.
    You get distracted by every shiny object that crosses your path, don't you?

    While only a fool would discount the successes of mobile QB's this year*, it's at best a cautionary tale: It's a violent game, and you can't put the heart of your team in harms way without taking a significant chance it doesn't end well. Ask a Skins fan.


    And when did speed become "technology"?






    *How you jammed Ben and Flacco into that group I'll never know.
    www.negativityscene.com

    Follow me on twitter @negativityscene

  8. #58
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickAssP View Post
    You show me ONE of these so called double threats who have won a SuperBowl and I'll give it a second thought, until the day that happens get real.
    Long term: LUCK >>>>>>>>> all double threat QB's
    Wow!
    What a ridiculous post. Congrats!
    Get well soon 80.

  9. #59
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicreep View Post
    You get distracted by every shiny object that crosses your path, don't you?

    While only a fool would discount the successes of mobile QB's this year*, it's at best a cautionary tale: It's a violent game, and you can't put the heart of your team in harms way without taking a significant chance it doesn't end well. Ask a Skins fan.


    And when did speed become "technology"?






    *How you jammed Ben and Flacco into that group I'll never know.
    I think ultimately no matter what, an NFL QB must be able to throw the ball well from the pocket. We have seen that from both Wilson and Kaepernick. We have not really seen that yet with RG III.
    So when we talk about running QB's, we have to be talking about guys who enhance their threats with the ability to run the ball. Not as a replacement of the ability to be efficient pocket passers.

    When players come along who have both these attributes, they are to be taken very seriously. These posters who dismiss this ability since they haven't yet won a SB is so short sighted its to be dismissed out of hand.
    Because in one sense we HAVE seen it. We've seen Steve Young, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers win SB's. the threat to tuck the ball and run and pick up yards in the NFL is well documented and affirmed with championship success.

    But as I said, in order for them to be successful, they must be able to pass from the pocket well.
    That's what we saw with Kaepernick last night.
    Get well soon 80.

  10. #60
    All-Pro Delicreep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I think ultimately no matter what, an NFL QB must be able to throw the ball well from the pocket. We have seen that from both Wilson and Kaepernick. We have not really seen that yet with RG III.
    So when we talk about running QB's, we have to be talking about guys who enhance their threats with the ability to run the ball. Not as a replacement of the ability to be efficient pocket passers.

    When players come along who have both these attributes, they are to be taken very seriously. These posters who dismiss this ability since they haven't yet won a SB is so short sighted its to be dismissed out of hand.
    Because in one sense we HAVE seen it. We've seen Steve Young, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers win SB's. the threat to tuck the ball and run and pick up yards in the NFL is well documented and affirmed with championship success.

    But as I said, in order for them to be successful, they must be able to pass from the pocket well.
    That's what we saw with Kaepernick last night.
    One of the QB's was gonna be on the losing team, but there is a big difference between saying a guy lost and a guy had a bad game.

    Kap looked great in the pocket and great on the move; just ended up on the wrong side of the equation.
    www.negativityscene.com

    Follow me on twitter @negativityscene

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts