+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I completely agree with this post.

We have often drafted to need in the JR era. Not always but often.

-Aaron Ross was definitely a need at corner.
    -KP was a need at safety
    -Nicks was a need at WR
    -JPP was NOT a need pick and was def. BPA
    -Prince was NOT really a need pick (he dropped to us and we couldn't resist)
    - Wilson was a need pick.

So JR has gone both ways but the perception that we always go BPA is wrong.
    thanks man, always respected your opinions/posts on these boards.

Nowadays, the salary cap governs everything a GM does.

The draft pay-scale is designed so that if all draftees make the team, cap-hell is averted (simplified, but you get the point).

JR has a list of positions where guys are coming off contract down the road, and who he can cut and when. He'll concentrate picks on those positions.

JR has to do a better job of making more draft picks stick. That's the long-term key to getting out of our cap-hell. More production out of picks 3-7.

The Giants under Reese take chances on guys they feel they can develop. Barden, Beckum, Robinson are all examples of this. Even JPP was seen as a project since he had such a limited football background.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    The Giants under Reese take chances on guys they feel they can develop. Barden, Beckum, Robinson are all examples of this. Even JPP was seen as a project since he had such a limited football background.
    I agree, that seems to be a big part of JR's strategy. I'm starting to wonder if the salary cap might steer JR to more conservative choices in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RagTime Blue View Post
    I agree, that seems to be a big part of JR's strategy. I'm starting to wonder if the salary cap might steer JR to more conservative choices in the future.
    I have no problem with projects as long as they are selected in the later rounds.

-KP was a need at safety
    -Nicks was a need at WR

There is no "always" in the NFL. BPA is simply the answer we get when the guy we wanted isn't the pick. There is nothing to say a BPA can't fill a need but Reese has been clear about taking a draft pick and finding a place for them IF they are that athletically impressive.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

-KP was a need at safety
    -Nicks was a need at WR

Pretty sure I saw all those guys being mocked around where we picked so to say they weren't bpa is a stretch.i think we just get real lucky sometimes. Also you have to factor in if we need a wr and there is only 1 -2 player rated ahead of him we are gonna take the wr. Now was he bpa,no, but he was a value pick AND filled a need. That's what I love about Reese he almost always gets great value out of his picks.fact is unless we are looking at the giants draft board we have no idea if they are drafting bpa. Bpa to you and I could be completely different to them

I really need to make a graph to show people how the giants draft. Its not BPA nor is it need.

reese has said plenty times, they stick to BPA....But will fill BPA that happens to be a need also when multiple BPA's may be closely ranked on their board

They have time to develop bc they sit the bench for 2 years before tc put them in.....................just kidding...........no Im not........................just kidding