+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

I don't think we re-sign Bennett

With the current cap situation and Nicks/Cruz contracts hanging over the team, I think we might look else where for TE help. Bennett played well, but IMO not well enough to justify a long term contract. TE has never played a major role in our offense and I don't see that changing. All we need to do is get our run game back in action. It would make more sense to fortify the OL and possibly even pursue Ballard, even though he is a RFA.

TE has always played a huge role in this offense.

Bennett had BY FAR the best year of any TE in the first year of Gilbrides offense.

I think TE has played a bigger role than you're giving the position credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    TE has always played a huge role in this offense.

Bennett had BY FAR the best year of any TE in the first year of Gilbrides offense.

I completely disagree....Giants won a superbowl with an undrafted rookie TE and a 4th round rookie. No need to pay millions for a TE when low cost options like Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard worked just as well. I like Bennett, but all for not spending money on that position.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    With the current cap situation and Nicks/Cruz contracts hanging over the team, I think we might look else where for TE help. Bennett played well, but IMO not well enough to justify a long term contract. TE has never played a major role in our offense and I don't see that changing. All we need to do is get our run game back in action. It would make more sense to fortify the OL and possibly even pursue Ballard, even though he is a RFA.
    That would be a huge mistake on Reese's part unless Bennett prices himself in the stratosphere, which I don't expect. He is an offensive lineman above anything else and they already have issues there that they have to address. Bennett has put up excellent numbers in his forst year here and we have every reason to expect he will continue to improve.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Bennett also totally disappeared in games. He might be a good blocker, yes, but we can find that cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
    I completely disagree....Giants won a superbowl with an undrafted rookie TE and a 4th round rookie. No need to pay millions for a TE when low cost options like Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard worked just as well. I like Bennett, but all for not spending money on that position.
    Ballard wasent a rookie, he spent his entire rookie season on the giants practice squad.

Kevin Boss was totally useless as a rookie.

And we may not be talking about much money. Bennett only cost $3 mil last season, if he is willing to take around that money yearly that is nothing on the position at all. Easily affordable.

I think he stays.. I hope he stays

I think he will stay for 3-4 mil/yr. Like the guy a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    That would be a huge mistake on Reese's part unless Bennett prices himself in the stratosphere, which I don't expect. He is an offensive lineman above anything else and they already have issues there that they have to address. Bennett has put up excellent numbers in his forst year here and we have every reason to expect he will continue to improve.
    I don't think Bennett will do that. He is on record stating that he would offer the Giants a hometown discount and that he wanted to try and get his brother to play for us. I don't know if it's all smokescreen publicity, but he seems to really like the Giants, especially compared to how he was treated by the cowboys. He seems to care about more things than just money...

Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    Bennett also totally disappeared in games. He might be a good blocker, yes, but we can find that cheaper.
    It largely depended on the game plan. If the game plan needed a blocker, he went in as a blocker and didn't produce much receiving. If the game plan called for him to be a receiver, he exploded. I don't think we could find a better bargain for that kind of versatility...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.