+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DT in the 1st round

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    Was thinking this before Canty got cut, now it seems even more possible. I think we need a DT in the first 2 rounds or in FA because we're very thin at that position right now.

What do you guys think?
    I'm thinking we're taking a DT and a CB in the first two rounds. Depending who falls where will determine the first pick.

We have a ton of tackle prospects (McCants, Brewer, Mosely) and our eternal safe guard in Diehl, so I'm not seeing an OT pick early. I'd expect us to grab one of the OG/OT hybrids in the 4th or 5th round.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    You may be right but don't kid yourself, you don't find " NFL ready " plug and play RT and G in later rounds. Not saying the Giants have to go after RT or G in first day but obviously will depend in what they do signing their own FAs or going after FA veterans or if they will continue cutting guys on roster. But if a team decides to fill a G or RT hole thru the draft then you have to go after them early.
    I know both teams in the superbowl's RT's were drafted in the first rd... Davis and McKinnie... Also, Lane Johnson is the exception becasue we can play em at RT and hes great insurance if we lose Beatty down the line to switch over to LT or in case Beatty gets hurt we got someone capable, and Beatty gets hurt alot...

Seems like half of the Mocks I have seen having us going DT in round 1, so the "experts" are on the same page.

If Reese has a guy there at DT he really likes he'll grab him if the Grade is High.

Reese kind of goes BPA, but we have also, in my opinion, grabbed guys high at positions of need. Hakeen Nicks and David Wilson immediately come to mind. JPP and Amukamara were picks where :the Grade was too high we couldn;t pass them up" type picks.

Depending on what we do in FA, right now I could us grabbing from any of these slots early in the draft:
    OL - G or T
    DT
    LB

I also think we will nab a RB, a Pass Rusher and will pick at least one Guard. We almost always pick a Guard.

I'll gladly take Sheldon Richardson in the 1st..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I know both teams in the superbowl's RT's were drafted in the first rd... Davis and McKinnie... Also, Lane Johnson is the exception becasue we can play em at RT and hes great insurance if we lose Beatty down the line to switch over to LT or in case Beatty gets hurt we got someone capable, and Beatty gets hurt alot...
    Thats a fact. Draft G and RT in later rounds and you end up with a lot of long term projets and few pan out, obviously there are exceptions but the risk/reward is huge if you miss out. That been said I love Lane and know he has played RT but I truly don't think thats his natural spot and I doubt he could excel playing there in the NFL. But if Beatty walk? I would love him to anchor the blindside of Eli for years to come.

Personally, I feel that with the 31st ranked Defense they need to focus on that and fix the O line by signing our FAs Beatty, Booth... DT in the first round wouldn't be a bad thing, I could also see a CB or DE. Looking over the draft class there is some excellent CB value that could be picked up in the 2nd or 3rd round. Will be interesting to see how things develop. I could easily get on board with Enigma's draft....

Bench Player
    I'm not big on Richardson i think he is overrated... The guy I think who's stock is going to rise big time is Jesse Williams from Bama. Played a tough SEC schedule and produced for the Tide. He is able to play any technique on the DL so he is versatile. He is the hardest hitting DT in the draft according to the Bleacher Report. He is as good a run stopper as there is in this draft. Thats what the Giants needs a guy who can take on Double teams Williams can do that. And a guy who can get thru them and bring down the runner in the backfield Williams can do that. He is fast enough to play in a 4-3 defense. This guy is said to be running 4.75 40's at 325-330 lbs. He is quick off the ball he just needs some help with his pass rush. Other than that he can take on and break thru double teams, he can collapse the pocket and stuff running backs in their tracks and can play anywhere on the DL.

Richardson vs Kentucky I uploaded it today . Larry Warford works him for most of the game

The Bengals may release Domata Peko not a pass rusher but would improve the run defense . Probably could be had for minimal guaranteed money. I dont think the Giants like Polynesians we never draft them
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 02-08-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawdog550 View Post
    I'm not big on Richardson i think he is overrated... The guy I think who's stock is going to rise big time is Jesse Williams from Bama. Played a tough SEC schedule and produced for the Tide. He is able to play any technique on the DL so he is versatile. He is the hardest hitting DT in the draft according to the Bleacher Report. He is as good a run stopper as there is in this draft. Thats what the Giants needs a guy who can take on Double teams Williams can do that. And a guy who can get thru them and bring down the runner in the backfield Williams can do that. He is fast enough to play in a 4-3 defense. This guy is said to be running 4.75 40's at 325-330 lbs. He is quick off the ball he just needs some help with his pass rush. Other than that he can take on and break thru double teams, he can collapse the pocket and stuff running backs in their tracks and can play anywhere on the DL.
    Also a really good fullback in short yardage situations

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    It was possible then, and its possible now.. I'm a Kawaan Short guy myself.. Big enough and stout enough to stop the run, but also pressures the QB and makes plays in backfield and has a knack for blocking kicks...
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurio View Post
    JR is the GIANTS GM as TC is the coach and Eli is the QB. Support them.
    Couldn't have said it better.

+ Reply to Thread