+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb (BBI) Giants who are positively in the 2013 plan

With all the talk about cuts, I started thinking about the other side of the coin: players under contract who aren't in immediate jeopardy. Here's what I came up with:

Offense (10)
    QB: E. Manning
    RB/FB: D. Wilson, A. Brown, H. Hynoski
    WR: H. Nicks, R. Randle*
    TE: A. Robinson
    OL: D. Baas, C. Snee, J. Brewer

Defense (8)
    DL: L. Joseph, J. Pierre-Paul, M. Kiwanuka (DE?), J. Tuck
    LB: J. Williams
    DB: A. Rolle, P. Amukamara, J. Hosley

Special Teams (2)
    S. Weatherford
    Z. DeOssie

That's twenty players. As far as I can tell, that's the core of the team. Some other young players like Hill**, Jernigan, Tracy, Mosley, Austin and Herzlich will have ample opportunity to earn playing time, but they aren't cinches to make the team. And many of the pricey veterans listed above (Tuck, Rolle, Snee, Kiwanuka, Baas) must be feeling the heat from the current purge.

The list of safe Giants is very short - shorter than any year since at least 2007, and probably shorter than you would expect for a team coming off three winning seasons that included a championship.

Did I miss anyone?

* Thanks to gmyers400 for catching my brain-fart on Randle.
    ** Will Hill is something of a special case. On price-vs.-performance, he's a mortal lock to make the final 53, barring injury. But I suspect the kid is on probation for at least another year.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com...&thread=464702
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

The best Giants pick up for the 2012 season, Stevie Brown, RFA. He'll be staying.

He missed Cruz only because they will tender him for 2013 if they can't agree on a long term deal.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He missed Cruz only because they will tender him for 2013 if they can't agree on a long term deal.
    I can see a handful of teams willing to give up draft pick(s) for a deal with Cruz, who proved to more than just a one-year wonder. Stevie Brown, not so much if any.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    I can see a handful of teams willing to give up draft picks for a deal with Cruz, who proved to be not just a one-year wonder. Stevie Brown, not so much if any.
    Not likely to happen, but anything is possible.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Even the SB runner-up whiner 49ers will be going after productive WRs, Redskins too imho. The market for Cruz is defintiely there.

Even the SB runner-up whiner 49ers will be going after productive WRs, Redskins too imho. The market for Cruz is defintiely there.
    Giving up a # 1 pick is not as easy as us saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Giving up a # 1 pick is not as easy as us saying it.
    That is so true. #1 picks don't cost a team what they used to so dumping a #1 winds up costing you if you are trading it for a huge contract for a guy like Cruz.
    No one remembers who came in second.

true.. but I imagine all these cuts are to free up money for Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    That is so true. #1 picks don't cost a team what they used to so dumping a #1 winds up costing you if you are trading it for a huge contract for a guy like Cruz.
    When most teams pick a # 1there is an expectation that they will prodiuce immediately and with a 4 year rookie contract they are a steal. I agree many teams would pay Cruz top $ but a # 1 is just not as easy.

Seeing the releases Reese is making, I am more hopeful than I've been that they will sign both Nicks and Cruz to long term deals before 2014